Ruger No. 2 ????

Help Support Ruger Forum:

instructor

Single-Sixer
I have an original NO 3 but have new barrel (Douglas SS medium weight) in caliber of 6BR, 23" length. Did away with the plastic barrel band and modified the forearm to a nice, rounded shape. Refinished the walnut butt stock and forearm and sent it off to be checkered, turned out nicely done (no camera so no pictures.) Rifle has been shot somewhere in the neighborhood of 30 times with my reloads and accuracy is outstanding. Due to age and health reasons have not reloaded ammunition for quite a long time and recently found a firm that sells reloaded ammunition in about any caliber desired and with choice of brass and brand of bullet as well. Scheduled at the range tomorrow at 1 PM and will see how this ammunition performs and weather is supposedly good for shooting. It is a private range and on Sundays no shooting until 1 PM, not a problem for me and by shooting buddy. Reason for the question signs is this rifle now considered a Ruger NO. 2?? Primary reason for the new barrel and caliber is to use it for coyotes in our area or just range shooting.
This Ruger has another barrel I purchased in 45/70 caliber, and I have a NO. 1 in two calibers that being 22-250 and 348 Winchester.
Reasoning for doing this I have a rifle suitable for deer, bear, etc. in the Fall Hunting season and either one for varmints in the warm months. Cost to have these barrels made and fitted to the actions was something over $500 that is much less than buying two more Ruger 1 and 3 rifles. The 45/70 barrel is considerably heavier than a factory one in that caliber and that was done to help absorb some of the stout recoil of the caliber. Would add that both rifles in either caliber are quite accurate.

Xrayist

Single-Sixer
I remember a post where they put the wood off a No. 1 onto a No. 3 and referred to it as a No. 2. Don't really think there is an "official" definition of what a No. 2 is. Your project sounds great. I like your No. 1 in .348 Winchester.