"Sight Regulation" on an SP101

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Quarryman

Bearcat
Hi, Ruger folks...

I have a new SP101-3" that I like a lot but I'm having difficulty landing rounds in the black from 7 yards or more. My groups seem decent but they are several inches off the point of aim. High and to the left, almost every time. The only way I can hit the black is to aim way low and to the right.

I'm using reloads in .357 Mag cases, chrono'ed at about 1000 fps with a 158-grain Berry's plated bullet. I've also used XTP bullet5s with similar results.

I searched this forum and found a thread (dated 2009) in which the original poster complained about the accuracy of his new SP101. Same kind of problem. A response from Varminter22 suggested that it might be an issue that requires "sight regulation."

Varminter22, are you there? Can you or anyone else please help me understand sight regulation? I mean, the SP's rear sight is simply a groove in the top strap. I don't see how this can be modified in any useful way.

Also, does Ruger stipulate a specific degree of accuracy at a given distance? I'd be interested to know what that number is.

Sorry for the long-winded post. Thanks in advance for all constructive input!

Quarryman

Hugh

Buckeye
If I recall correctly, Ruger shoots 158 grain at 15 yards. If it hits within a certain window (I don't know what that window is) it's good to go to market. I'd suggest that if they won't get in the black at seven yards, there is one of at least two things wrong. 1) The shooter. 2) Sights are off.

I have three SP-101's; two 3-1/16" .357, and one 2-1/4" .357. Every one shoots in the black out to and including ten yards. I don't try to shoot them any further.

If you're satisfied that it is not the shooter, then I would get some 158 grain factory; American Eagle, Federal, or whatever. Shoot a half box to make sure you're getting the same result. Write a note, documenting your findings, and give Ruger a call.

I'm certain someone who knows will be along directly with more information.

Hope you get it sorted out and corrected. It's a great shooter.

roylt

Hunter
You could also let someone else shoot it to see if they are better or worse. Try to rule out you as the issue.

GMan351

Single-Sixer
If you can do like roylt said and let someone else shoot it. Another good thing is to take the grip and trigger pull as much out of the equation as possible. Shooting from a bench with a gun vise that is made for that or using sand bags from the bench would be the next best.

From the way you talked it seems consistant, so try the other ammo and the techniques above and if it is still that way, it is the revolver definitely.

Don't take any of the above as I don't think you can shoot. But over the years I've seen a lot more quirks in shooters than bad guns. Sometime experienced shooters start to do something before they realize it and then it takes a conscious effort to correct it later.

I always say go over the basics in your mind each time you go to shoot at the range. It's mental practice that you keep building on. Especially when you get a new gun.

louiethelump

Buckeye
Well, too high can be corrected by 1) higher velocity lighter bullet like a 125 grain, and 2) a firmer grip on the gun. (but to a lesser degree of change)

Shooting to the left can be the loads, but is probably the barrel not screwed in far enough, leaving the front sight too far to the right from the shooter's perspective. Closely examine where the barrel meets the frame and see if the same amount of space exists on both sides of the barrel lug. Ruger will straighten it if it is not right, or you can do it yourself.

BE SURE it is not shooter error before you modify the gun and then discover as you get used to it and shoot it better, you are now hitting low right.

Elad

Bearcat
Quarryman,

I agree that Ruger probably uses 158 grain standard pressure loads for regulation in both .38 and .357 but they may shoot at 25 yards.

Conventional wisdom says to have a known good pistolero shoot your gun using a factory 158 grain off a rest. You may find he shoots good groups, it sounds like you may be anticipating the recoil, if your right handed.

You may just need a little more trigger time with the right load and everything will fall in place for you. Short barrel guns are a little more difficult to shoot. Once you get the hang of it, they really are nice shooting guns.

Quarryman

Bearcat
Thanks, everybody, for your advice.

Rest assured I will do what I can to eliminate my own weak marksmanship as a variable in this equation. I admit it is a distinct possibility...

As far as I can tell the barrel is properly mated to the frame. And the front sight looks true.

Next step is to do some rested shooting at 15 yards with factory 158-grain ammo. I shoot factory ammo so rarely I've almost forgotten about it! I'll see if can get a second opinion from someone with better handgun chops than me. Shouldn't be hard to find...

Undoubtedly I can use more practice with this short-barreled gun, and that's what I plan to do. I won't be pestering Ruger until I'm pretty certain that the gun is "off." I once had a Redhawk that had to go in for a tilted front sight and they took care of it for me.

Thanks again, everybody... I'll keep watching for responses here.

BearStopper

Blackhawk
Its really extremely simple. If you are not grouping then it is likely shooter error or an inaccurate gun/load combo. If you are grouping but high and left then it just needs some adjustment. You can have the barrel turned by a pistol smith but you will need to settle on a load for best results. Also, if you are hitting high, you will need a taller front sight, or it is possible you need to hold firmer. I tend to relax alot when I shoot and handguns tend to shoot high for me. Almost every handgun I own with adjustable sights is pegged as low as it will go.

ADP3

Single-Sixer
One way to correct windage is to purchase a spare front sight and thin the side of the sight blade to move your group . Leave the tenon alone so it keeps a tight fit in the barrel cut but shave a bit off the side of the sight. A new whetstone that's flat and true or some empry cloth will take off the material. Go slow because if you take off too much then it's back to square one on a new blade. Touch up the side with cold blue and you're good to go. The elevation can be corrected with a higher front blade to bring your groups down or by dropping bullet weight.

Best Regards,
ADP3

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
My 3" SP shoots to POA with most 158gr factory loads and shoots low with 38 special loads. I think this is most typical of the SP. High and left could be the ammo, the shooter or the gun. It could be something as simple as not enough finger on the trigger. Are you shooting single-action to check accuracy. Double-action is the way to shoot for self-defense. Double check your sight picture, rest the gun and fire single-action to test POA vs POI.

If there is something really wrong with the gun Ruger will fix it. Stuff happens sometimes. I've see pictures of a guns that had the barrel drilled off-center. 8) 8)

...Jimbo