Single Point Sling on a GP100?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

BeVewyQwiet

Bearcat
Greetings!

I'd like to hunt with my new GP100. With red dot sights installed, carrying it is a challenge, as standard holsters no longer work. I'm thinking a single point sling attached to the butt, using the Hogue monogrip screw mount, would be worth a try.

Has anyone had success with something like this, and how do you recommend attaching the sling? I'd also love to hear general advice for the noob revolver hunter. (I'm somewhat experienced with revolvers and hunting separately.)

Thanks!

Bryan

(I'm also posting this in the Hunting section.)

22/45 Fan

Hunter
There are holsters made for scoped handguns so they should also work for one with a red dot sight on it. Uncle Mike's has them in both belt and shoulder styles.

pisgah

Buckeye
Carrying my red-dot-scoped 7.5" Bisley .45 Colt in an Uncle Mike's shoulder holster was clumsy and uncomfortable. I drilled and tapped a hole in the butt for an Uncle Mike's QD sling swivel and added a lanyard. Holster discarded, problem solved.

Do you have the Hogue lanyard screw for your grip? If not you can order direct from Hogue to replace standard grip screw. You can use a key ring on the lanyard hole to attach a 1-point sling.

Carrying this way the gun will bounce around quite a bit.

BeVewyQwiet

Bearcat
Thanks for the replies! I'd like to try a lanyard screw first, but found no joy at the Hogue site. I found this site, which would be great except for the $50 price tag.

http://parts.bowenclassicarms.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=7

cas6969

Buckeye
You could also look into various open front speed holsters/race holsters.

safari.jpg

Byrd

Bearcat
The screw that holds the Hogue grips is a standard 10-38 thread. Just go to the hardware store and get an eyebolt that size and use it to attach the grips. A split ring for a key chain can attach your single point sling. I have a GP100 set up like this and it works well.