"Switch" for automatic weapons

Help Support Ruger Forum:

This news story was on CNN yesterday. They make it sound like I can just 3D print a sear to turn any of my guns into a fully automatic weapon.

Is this true? Are the bad guys really doing this? I just find it a little hard to believe.

Here is a link to the news story. I searched and found it on Youtube

Appears true to me. No big deal. At one time you could buy the parts at gun shows to convert a M! Carbine into a M2 maybe you still can????. Still against the law to own unless registered. The Bad Guys don't give a sh!t about the law. Nothing has changed.
What I find more interesting is that there is a company that listens to all of the gun fire in American Cities and records it for the Police

What I find more interesting is that there is a company that listens to all of the gun fire in American Cities and records it for the Police
Yes, this is interesting. Makes you wonder if they hear other things besides gun fire.

On that Chicago PD police television show, they have used this technology to track the bad guy.

Your Glock 19 can be easily converted. Cover plate on the back of the slide gets replaced with one that has a movable "tab" sticking forward
to interact with the trigger disconnect bar. Never seen one in person but look really simple to machine, guessing the only thing would be
getting the tab size right so it stopped firing when the trigger is released. Might have to grind a bit of plastic off the frame to make room.
I think that Glock does something similar but with the control switch through the side of the slide on the select fire 18.
Take a lot longer to work out the dimensions than it would to machine them, but suspect there's already a PDF file with a print online somewhere.
Be like making a key to get INTO a prison, doubt it would get you out though.

beentheredone

Single-Sixer
"Almost any gun" as long as it is a Glock 19. Every gangsta should be required to have one. Turns the Glock in to a useless noisemaker.

Wow Kevin, are you one of the 15 people that actually watch CNN? They're so far from being main stream they are doing everything they can to try to get ratings and hold on to their viewers. This technology has been around for years and CNN is just now doing a hit piece to rile up the libs?

"Almost any gun" as long as it is a Glock 19. Every gangsta should be required to have one. Turns the Glock in to a useless noisemaker.
Actually they fit most Glocks not just the 17 and 19.
I've also had the chance to fire a Glock 18 and at 10 to 15 yards thought it was fairly easy to control.
It would empty a 33 round mag in maybe 1.5 to 2 seconds. For me short 6-8 round bursts would get
maybe 3-4 good hits then I'd drift off. If I fired the whole mag it would drift off but you had time to pull
it back on target sorta "water hose" style and the last 10-15 rounds would be pretty good. Thinking
practice would quickly learn to control the recoil to avoid the initial "drift".
Be a heck of a weapon in a close range gunfight, mostly useless for anything else. I'd have one if
it was legal, don't have to shoot it full auto. Yes they do get hot!

Bloom
Are you sure that was an 18 and not a 17 with a switch installed? I ask because in the video it looks like a switch
sticking out the back of the slide?
The 18 has the selector on the left side of the slide.
I might have been blinded by that Dutch Tanker/Village People camo you're wearing.
Be sure to cut the legs off real short to wear at Contender's shoot.

Ride1949

Hunter
Wow Kevin, are you one of the 15 people that actually watch CNN? They're so far from being main stream they are doing everything they can to try to get ratings and hold on to their viewers. This technology has been around for years and CNN is just now doing a hit piece to rile up the libs?

16228292012574509731499608294931.jpg

Chief 101

Hunter
The first semi-auto 9mm I purchased as a kid was a wwII surplus Astra(20 bucks) and a Lyman mold and a Lee loader... The first magazine full fired in auto mode so I tore it down and fixed the sear and it was fine after that. Full auto is not as exciting as some folks make it out to be, it has no purpose other than to make a lot of noise...

I know, I know... I do get news from the internet, not the TV. So it's easy to see a variety of different opinions on any given subject. I do like CNN, because they have a lot of positive fluff type news stories. For example every Saturday morning, they send out an email with a variety of news which is ONLY positive. Then they end the piece with a cute animal video.

There is just enough doom and gloom in the world, I get fed up with it all, and need to see the good side of humanity.

Blume:
Now about your camo choices... The thrift store here actually had a huge donation of jackets and pants with that same pattern. They had a information sheet out about it. I could have sworn they said it was from Finland. I think from Tank drivers in Finland. I'll go back and see if they still have some. I know my daughter found a nice winter coat in that pattern. It's got pockets everywhere. Sadly they did not have my "extra successful" size.

43north

Bearcat
When driving by at 20 MPH, dumping 30 rounds in 10 seconds is all the window you have.
It's great for gang-posturing, crappy for intended hits.

Decades ago, the Tech-Nine was the ZOMG scary gun of Crack gangland warfare.
30 rounds were fired in a driveby towards a movie theatre crowd in Elmira, NY.
ONE hit from a ricochet... a young woman without gang affiliations.