the last vanzant meet ever, unless....

Help Support Ruger Forum:

bobski

Hunter
if i cant draw 10 guys, it just doesnt make sense to do this anymore.
my meet has dwindled down to 3-4 people, maybe 5. driving 3000 miles round trip to set up a meet just doesnt work anymore. setting up is getting to be too much for this old body.
i have 9 currently. and the 10th just isnt out there. i drew the line in the sand to be 10.
ive reduced the meet to be annual and already dropped the oct shoot.
i would like to hold this meet, but w/o the 10th.....it fades into history.
traditionally, i only ever had one person come to my meet from ruger forum. but he moved on due to age.
if anyone ever thought about coming.....now would be a good time. if youd like to be known as the guy who saved the vanzant shoot, pm me and sign up!
13 apr is the shotgun meet. 250 birds. loads of fun. even better with 10.
lmk!

Johnnu2

Hunter
bobski, i don't stray far from home these days, but I do hope someone can help you out with your neat tradition....most of us are getting old these days :)
J.

While I would love to be the 10th and bring a couple others along, just not in the cards for me. GPS shows about 30 hours of road time which would make a 3 day event into 7-9 days. Just can't make it happen. I have a tough enough time just getting 4-6 to show up to shoot a simple 2 rounds of trap. I text out invites to 15+ every couple of weeks, with usually a weeks notice weather pending, and sometime get 3-4 to show up. Life is busy for everyone these days. Hope you can make it happen because I know these things always turn out to be a great time for those that do make it.

Brother, I'd hop in my truck and head over to be the "hero", but if there is a worse wingshot than me, it's likely Ray Charles who is both blind and dead. Pray you not only get your tenth man, but many others.
You are probably the second worst shot. I would break out in a cold sweat when I found out they had a shotgun popper at a SASS match. :)

Last edited:

bobski

Hunter
one of the match rules is i shoot in proxy for last place and donate my score. had a girl win the trophy that way. a perfect score was 125.....she shot 4/125.
and won the match. hehehehehe.....
holy cow, that was 10 years ago.

Attachments

• 3rd ftf 4-14.JPG
    3rd ftf 4-14.JPG
    38.9 KB · Views: 53
there has to be someone here who can be the wild card. Heck, just about any other time I would be tempted to just fly in close and rent a car just to be that 10th body...but just finishing up a 3 week vacation and heading to Florida to teach a class in just over a month puts a damper on any crazy travel plans. Pretty soon I've gots to be back in the real world.

bobski

Hunter
and so it ends.
had one guy show up just so say he had to leave.
had a total of 2 dnf's of the 9 that showed up who left early.
i had a 10th come by who just made it thru heart surgery.....and did his best to be part of the match, but it was hard on him.
a true friend.
but its over.
too much work for one person. and honestly, if it wasnt for my wonderful wife behind the counter....id be lost.
it was a good run.

Sorry to hear that Bobski. I guess as the forum gets older the harder It is for us to travel any distance. I haven't been out of my state except for one vacation last year for close to five years. Wish you were closer and I might make the trip.
I'm just now starting to feel like traveling