The NFL Inc. Gets Away With It. Again.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

mohavesam

Hawkeye
So one day we all learn that the National Football League corporation has negotiated & sold their patriotism.
To a government (taxpayer-funded) agency.
To the Department of Defense.
For some seven million dollars over three years.
Taxpayer dollars...
They took the money for some commercial time, flag cups, and some on-field displays.

and the Americans were so upset and fed-up with government/contractor kickbacks, corruption, collusion and pork and organized WASTE, that they...

well -pretty much didn't do or say anything at all. Nada. Zip. Stayed right there on the couch. Maybe next time.

Season tickets are above average for the upcoming season. I do hate the NFL. And not much to say about Joe Average NFL ticket-buyer. :roll: :roll: :roll:

Jim Puke

Hunter
MOST ticket buyers were not and are not aware of this...as it has only been reported lately.

Carry on with your rant...

RugerHound

Hunter
Jim Luke said:
MOST ticket buyers were not and are not aware of this...as it has only been reported lately.

Carry on with your rant...

With all due respect... I seriously doubt that this will make even a ripple in the NFL's ticket sales. I hope I'm wrong.. but my guess is that there won't even be a ripple.

pisgah

Buckeye
TitanX said:
It outrages me that I've been giving the NFL credit for their patriotism, while it's been a paid operation all along.

I know how you feel. We just had Memorial Day, when every supermarket chain, car dealership, whatever, ran their "patriotic" ads "honoring" our sacred dead. Bull! They're selling junk on the graves of our sacred dead, nothing more. And what's worse, I heard and read many approving comments over this, as people seem to be unaware they are being manipulated in a most cynical and despicable fashion.

As to the NFL -- what do you expect? The current stir over the corruption of World Cup Soccer is typical of how these organizations work. It's all about money, period, and corruption is the norm in all professional sports -- NFL, MLB, NBA, what have you. Same as in politics -- if you can show me an honest politician, I can show you an officeholder who will never be re-elected.

opos

Buckeye
We are currently watching the NFL and it's involvement in the negotiations to either keep the Chargers in San Diego or move them to Carson (home of the Bloods and Crips) to share a stadium with their arch rivals the Raiders..The news is filled with the revelation of the back room dealings that have gone on for a very long time and now it's coming clear the NFL is having a very large and "partisan" involvement in the negotiating.

Frankly I'd just as soon see the Chargers go to Compton..fight over a stadium has been going on for over 10 years and it's all about the big money and how the City has to pay, pay, pay. I got a feeling if the move to Compton takes place and the Raiders share the stadium it's going to be all out war and I'd really be concerned for my health going to any big event in Compton...it's a ghetto.

Follow the money...somebody is getting greased.

Colonialgirl

Hawkeye
It has ALWAYS PO'd Me that the NFL Owners while making MILLIONS of Dollars and paying their players MILLIONS of Dollars ALWAYS WANT the PUBLIC to supply them with a Stadium where THEY collect MOST of the money for parking and the Concessions--- You know SCREW the public and those that don't even bother to watch grown ups play a kids game.

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
Should I mention NASCAR and all their patriotic events? I don't know, with all the strong emotions I would like to read more about the gov buying time on the NFL or other such spending but without a link to a story it is kinda hard to form an opinion about it. :? :?

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
sfhogman said:
You don't have to mention NASCAR unless you're feeling a little redundant today. TitanX already mentioned it a couple of posts earlier. I'm sure that you're capable of finding a link if you feel like it, and then forming an opinion....
No I'm not redundant today, are you? I wasn't talking about the Army sponsoring a NASCAR team I am talking about all the patriotic things NASCAR does for our troops and for the public. Is it real or is it Payola as has been insinuated about the NFL. Without credible investigative reporting it is just a personal rant. Is it worth my digging for it, maybe. But people usually try and support what they are talking about. :?

mohavesam

Hawkeye
Jimbo357mag said:
... Is it real or is it Payola as has been insinuated about the NFL. Without credible investigative reporting it is just a personal rant.

The reporting about the NFL is fact, not rant. It is easy to find the news. Start with the NY Times and all the networks. No one is "insinuating" about the NFL taking Pentagon/DoD taxpayer money. It is fact. It is called the news.

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
mohavesam said:
The reporting about the NFL is fact, not rant. It is easy to find the news. Start with the NY Times and all the networks. No one is "insinuating" about the NFL taking Pentagon/DoD taxpayer money. It is fact. It is called the news.
I guess I missed it on Lou Dobbs or Bill O'reilly or something. Haven't heard a thing about it till now. I'm sure I'm not the only one. I wonder how much the gov spends on advertising for the IRS, EPA and other such departments? There's something else for members to look up. :shock:

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
Well thanks for the info. I'm not particularly surprised or upset the DOD buys 'advertising' from the NFL. What bothers me more is the spending the government does where they get nothing in return. A good example recently was the GAO report on gov cell/smart phone use, and the expense plans and accountability from many of the gov agencies.

quote> Many federal agencies don't know how many mobile devices they have, how often they're used or how much they cost taxpayers monthly, according to the Government Accountability Office. <end quote

Read more: http://dailycaller.com/2015/05/22/feds-dont-know-how-many-cell-phones-they-have-or-what-they-cost-taxpayers/#ixzz3cOghxlq4

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
TitanX said:
A great example is the head of the TSA who was recently rewarded for a 96% failure rate, by being re-assigned to a spot where he can wreak more havoc.
How did we get along without the TSA at the airports before? I think I would rather save the country a bunch of money and just take my chances without them, after all the cockpit doors are now locked with two people inside at all times. 8)

Colonialgirl

Hawkeye
Jimbo357mag said:
TitanX said:
A great example is the head of the TSA who was recently rewarded for a 96% failure rate, by being re-assigned to a spot where he can wreak more havoc.
How did we get along without the TSA at the airports before? I think I would rather save the country a bunch of money and just take my chances without them, after all the cockpit doors are now locked with two people inside at all times. 8)

San Francisco; That LIBERAL, LEFT Winger Mecca in California DOES manage to get along QUITE WELL without the TSA; They use a Private agency which is FASTER at screening passengers AND has a higher efficiency rating for spotting Bombs and other contraband. I do believe there are a couple of other airports that managed to OPT OUT of the TSA stupidity.