Video.. "Trappers Stewards of the wild"

Help Support Ruger Forum:

nekvermont

Buckeye
^^^^ LOL. I know, sitting watching a 35min video seems like such a long time. It took me 4 or 5 days before I finally took the plunge. :) I thought it was worth my time. Unfortunately, the people (anti trappers) who could really learn something from this video will never take the time.

contender

Ruger Guru
It's probably like a few other video's I've seen about the good trappers do, as well as dispelling the myths that the anti's believe. (Which isn't helped any by the media, movies or other such outlets. )

With current low fur price, trappers are providing more benefit than they get credit for.
A few days back I had a chat with the guy who is trapping 3 separate wetland areas close to my farm. We had a 'no BS' conversation about what and where we'd caught beaver and otters and how that might affect my farming operation. Sorted out some property lines he wasn't sure of and that sort of thing.
Bottom line: he's trying to make a profit from trapping while I'm basically trapping to lessen crop damage. I've probably spent close to $500 in time, gas, and wear on my Ranger that most certainly wasn't repaid by the fur sales. BUT not removing the problem animals would cost 10X that amount in crop loss later this year.
USDA/NRCS/MDC have funded and control numerous wetlands in north MO but make no effort to contain the critters who are attracted to these areas. Our custom farming customer lost almost half his wheat acreage to goose damage last spring. These geese normally stay further south but having the wetlands for overnighting allowed them to venture to our area and spend days foraging on the new growth wheat.

contender

Ruger Guru
I just watched the video.

It was well put together,, and does a good job of trying to show the good that trappers do.

Sadly,, too many closed minds, and Disney educated types who refuse to become properly educated about this subject,, will not see it. Or, they will treat it the same way anti-gun types treat gun owners.

Name calling, verbal attacks on social media, and blatant refusal of facts are what those types do.

Trapping, hunting, etc are all actually beneficial to the population of people as a whole. Yet,, until a person has a problem will they demand action to stop a problem. I see it every week. I get calls from homeowners who want the PESTS which I call wildlife,, removed from whatever damages they are causing. So, instead of allowing legal trapping or hunting to help control animal populations,, they have to pay someone like myself to deal with their problems.

One thing I do OFTEN,, is explain to potential customers how HUMANS have CREATED these problems,, by building homes or gated communities in the places where animals USED to live in a wild state. And I explain how the demands of the laws created by people who refuse to allow legal trapping or hunting to assist in the controls of animals have caused fewer people to engage in these activities,, and now people have to pay a person like myself to "fix" their problems.

Yet,, even when I try to politely explain things,, I STILL get people who say; "I want these animals out of my house,, but I don't want them killed or harmed." They just want these animals to "live somewhere else." When I ask them where this would be, they reply; "In the woods!" I explain about the LAWS that restrict the relocation of animals due to disease concerns,, as well as the "woods" may not have the "Carrying capacity" of food & shelter for so many animals they still insist on not killing animals.

This type of person is a lost cause.