? why wouldn't a .308 exit a groundhog

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Dan_11

Bearcat
Friend shot downhill from his 2nd story balcony with this .308 using Win 147gr FMJ. Range finder, groundhog was 51 yards away. Note, the entry point, and then check the underside, the round never did exit.

Weird. If impact concussion slit the belly there should be some trauma in the muscle tissue under the skin. There does not appear to be any trauma in that area. Perhaps a piece of the jacket peeled off and exited under the skin at the posterior of the slit and then glided along to cause the slit.

The other surprise is the lack of exit.

After a few days, I decided to take the chuck apart and check out the bullet. Went down to his house, too late, something already dragged it away.

Any ideas?

contender

Ruger Guru
With a FMJ bullet,,,, often,, folks miss the exit hole. I'd bet there was one. A groundhog has a looser skin and enough fat to where a bullet could easily exit & not be found without a very careful examination.

Since you didn't get any pictures,, this is my best guess. (I do animal damage control for a living,, and kill a lot of groundhogs.)

Agree with Contender. Groundhogs don't bleed much externally unless the bullet leaves a gaping hole.
I've 'removed' some around folk's homes using a 17HMR into chest cavity and literally zero blood. Just looks like they went to sleep.