Why You Should Carry a Knife Instead of a Gun for Self-Defense

Help Support Ruger Forum:

GunnyGene

Hawkeye

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
Man fights with his mind. His hands and his weapons are simply extensions of his will, and one of the fallacies of our era is the notion that equipment is the equivalent of force.

I was considered a real scrapper when I was a kid, and though small, I learned early that if you fight back effectively the bullies will want to bother someone else. As a young adult I always felt that I could handle myself pretty well. But I am turning 81 in a feet weeks. I have lost much of my muscle strength, and with the arthritis in my hands I cannot make an effective fist. I do carry a knife, but I rely upon the gun in my pocket to stop an attack. The knife is mostly for opening packages, and I hope I never have to get close enough to a thug who is attempting to rob or harm me where I could use my little 3 inch blade folding knife.

Ranger

Single-Sixer
I grew up throwing knives and about anything that might stick. I got really good with a big screwdriver... I have some custom throwing knives that were big, heavy, and sharp. From about 40 feet away, I could stick them in a stump so far that you had to wiggle them up and down to pull them out. With all that said, if I may need the knife, I'm not throwing it. I'm hanging on to it.

el caminero

Single-Sixer
I always wear a pocketed vest. When a firearm is prohibited, I have a cane, tactical pen, a stun gun, pepper spray, AND a knife. I have had what looks to be the same training as yourself- minus the sword- and since we are capable of using almost anything as a weapon, why not have as many options as possible?
Some day, they will ban any pen, as a "tactical", if it has sufficient grip traction and the officer cannot break it in their hand.
Aaach; dummkopf! Das war ein t'ousand-thaler meisterstuck!!

"So nobody here is into knife throwing."
Who's going to throw away their primary weapon?
Actually I am, and a knife thrower always carries 3-6 throwers in a sheath. Below is a grouping from 15 feet ( length of my shop). I could do the same at 18, but I won't claim to be a "21 foot" guy. There would be some spread. They would definitely stick though. These are light practice knives. My defense throwers are longer and heavier. Fully outfitted I would carry 3 on my forearm and three on my leg, though it's mostly one or the other. Still have sheath knife on my belt. Not a thrower. Not that kind of balance- meant to fit my hand. I was an an edged weapon guy WAY before a firearm guy.

Attachments

• Knife Grouping.jpg
    Knife Grouping.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
Actually I am, and a knife thrower always carries 3-6 throwers in a sheath. Below is a grouping from 15 feet ( length of my shop). I could do the same at 18, but I won't claim to be a "21 foot" guy. There would be some spread. They would definitely stick though. These are light practice knives. My defense throwers are longer and heavier. Fully outfitted I would carry 3 on my forearm and three on my leg, though it's mostly one or the other. Still have sheath knife on my belt. Not a thrower. Not that kind of balance- meant to fit my hand. I was an an edged weapon guy WAY before a firearm guy.

Not being critical, but I cannot imagine dressing each morning and attaching six knives to my body just in case I would need to throw a knife at someone. In fairness, I feel the same way about those folks who say that they carry two or even three guns ALL THE TIME plus several extra mags and who knows what else. Maybe I've lived a sheltered life, despite my military service, but getting dressed I put my wallet in my back right pocket, my keys, pocket knife and smartphone in my left front pocket, and most days a Desantis Nemeis holster with a compact handgun in my right front pocket and I'm good to go. I don't think that I have ever left the house carrying two loaded handguns, and even if the gun in my pocket holster is a 5 round snubbie I do not feel unprepared to defend myself.

OLDGUY79

Bearcat
I've carried a pocket knife since I was 10, so that makes 70 years with a knife of some kind in my pocket. Mostly now I use it to open the boxes from Amazon that arrive almost daily. At 80 years old, with fake knees that won't let me run, arthritic hands that can hardly make a fist, and with only one kidney that I will not risk by having a fist fight, I think I'll stick to carrying a gun. Even if the gun I carry is just a lightweight, 5 round, 38 caliber double action revolver I feel a lot more secure than if I only had the little 3 inch blade Kershaw in my pocket.
Darn right. I concrete with your physical assessment that us seniors deal with!! I do go to my range often just to keep as limber as possible for a Senior!!

Not being critical, but I cannot imagine dressing each morning and attaching six knives to my body just in case I would need to throw a knife at someone. In fairness, I feel the same way about those folks who say that they carry two or even three guns ALL THE TIME plus several extra mags and who knows what else. Maybe I've lived a sheltered life, despite my military service, but getting dressed I put my wallet in my back right pocket, my keys, pocket knife and smartphone in my left front pocket, and most days a Desantis Nemeis holster with a compact handgun in my right front pocket and I'm good to go. I don't think that I have ever left the house carrying two loaded handguns, and even if the gun in my pocket holster is a 5 round snubbie I do not feel unprepared to defend myself.
History of Most All self defense shooting is they Are settled in a few shots. And, I am guilty of this, maybe some gun money could go to training.

Over 50 years ago a genuine bad man named Roof Carter told me....
"A bad man carry him a thutty two 'volver an a straight rayzaa. The thutty two fo' long woik. Yuh shoot the mofo inna ass an when he stop yuh cuttem"!

I saw Roof use his straight razor twice and when he cut somebody they were cut 3 or 4 times before they felt the first cut. Roof said...

"I cuts 'em 3 ways, long, deep and frequent"....

tbobcar

Single-Sixer
I watched a YouTube video of two martial arts students using black markers as knife substitutes. They sparred for about 30 seconds and both were covered in black markings. The instructor said "a knife fight is just two people stabbing each other to death."
Yes, I agree. Knives are good for cutting wrists or throats, both actions lack an evenly matched opponent. Knife fights are rediculus. Knives, however are beautiful pieces of craftsmanship, the best ones are folding knives, they are are always handy for home and yard work.
Guns an the other hand are much more utilitarian you don't need to be hand shake close to a villian. A win in a gun fight usually leaves the victor un harmed, where as a win in a knife fight means you got to the hospital early enough to stem the bleeding.
Knives are good decorator pieces for the man cave otherwise they are very dangerous to the owner. Should a knife fight break out, you're just going to get hurt.

No criticism taken, as I wasn't clear. I should have said " When I carry throwers" which is maybe half the time, and mostly just 3 in a leg sheath when I do. I live in NJ, and the CCW laws are not only spotty, but change almost daily. Can't always carry a firearm everywhere. One big suggestion for you, though: NEVER carry your wallet in a back pocket. Not only easy to spot and lift, but also an easier fallout when standing up from a sitting position. Also, thank you for your service.

Yes, I agree. Knives are good for cutting wrists or throats, both actions lack an evenly matched opponent. Knife fights are rediculus. Knives, however are beautiful pieces of craftsmanship, the best ones are folding knives, they are are always handy for home and yard work.
Guns an the other hand are much more utilitarian you don't need to be hand shake close to a villian. A win in a gun fight usually leaves the victor un harmed, where as a win in a knife fight means you got to the hospital early enough to stem the bleeding.
Knives are good decorator pieces for the man cave otherwise they are very dangerous to the owner. Should a knife fight break out, you're just going to get hurt.
In my martial arts class, we used RED magic markers. The YouTubers seemed to be after clicks rather than real training. Yes, both parties get cut. The winner usually stab deep into portions of the chest after cutting into antecubital spaces when parrying. I have also trained with "live" blades. Got scars too. Good luck, I hope we never need this knowledge.
gramps

Bigbore5

Single-Sixer
During my military days, I have had it go to a knife twice. They are very superior in a clinch in the hands of someone who can use it properly.

Now days I carry two knives daily. A Kershaw Blur as a utility/fighter and a Fox folding Karambit. But there's also a S&W m36 somewhere on me too. And a Cross fountain pen.

We used to pack a collapsible baton or two on our assault gear and, back then, usually a Randall #7 or a Cold Steel magnum Tanto depending upon the teammates preference. I was a Randall guy. But the bigger cqb stuff isn't comfortable in my daily life now.