Winchester 1873

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Johnnu2

Hunter
My cousin has a Winchester 1873 saddle ring carbine (one barrel band); that has a more curved butt plate than I would have expected on a Carbine. It's a 44WCF (.44-40) cal. and so marked in all the right places; 20" round bbl,; still has the sliding dust cover. I don't have pictures, but I would estimate the condition at 40% (maybe a bit more, but not much). He wants to sell it. Anyone want to venture a ball park "asking price"? He will not use online anything. He also has a large loop El Tigre (probably 70% condition) in same caliber that he wants to sell.... $$Gustimates welcome on this one as well....ser#492703B
THANKS,
J.

Last edited:

Johnnu2

Hunter
On the Win. 1873, what is the bore like?
It's not perfect, but it's not destroyed. As a non-collector, I would say the bore is 50%. There aren't any craters or terrible rust, but it's not totally smooth and pristine like the other (El Tigre) rifle is. It caught my attention as being less that perfect when I noticed how smooth the El Tigre bore is. I could take pics, but it would be a hassle and take some time trying to get him to focus on the 'project' if you know what I mean. The lands and grooves are clearly there. ser#492703B
J

Last edited:

Bruce51

Bearcat
I'm not an expert but have been pricing parts for the 1873 for several months .
If it were parted out the parts could bring in as much as $1000. Stock sets run $250 and 50% barrels are under $200. Bolt $150, hammer $80, end cap $60 lever springs $100, main spring $40, shell carrier $200, mag tube $65, butt plate $65.
These are just a few numbers and there are a lot more sellable parts and buyers willing to pay.
While the excellent condition ones are very high priced the below average condition rifles should be worth at least the price of the parts. Parts are listed on ebay all the time and I've been outbid many times for lever springs alone. Remember that Uberti made replicas and these are available from $1200 to $2000.
I hope that this information helps in determining a fair price for a complete rifle.

Bruce

Johnnu2

Hunter
Thanks JB....... definitely shootable bore and rather excellent overall mechanical condition. I rate it at 40% because of the pics in the BLUE BOOK..... and because I know the local gun shops will rate it at 40%..... From a "use" point of view, and general aesthetics, it's probably closer to 60% to a non-collector's eye. When our LGS asks: "whaddayawantforit?"..... I'm probably going to say $4K and he'll offer $2K; then we'll settle on $2,500 and he'll sell it to a collector friend for $3,500..... ;)

J.

Armybrat

Buckeye
Maybe it is a Short Rifle
This is my factory short rifle - a .44-40

IMG_6793.jpeg

Darn, I thought this was gonna be talking about a Jimmy Stewart movie. Bye.

CHEVYINLINE6.
Winchester 73 has been playing on demand here for the last couple of weeks. I love the scene where they helped the Army thwart the Indian attack and the Sergeant said that he wished he had them with him during the Civil War. The look on his face when they said they were there but on the other side was great!