Winchester Service grade 9mm

Help Support Ruger Forum:

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
Bought a box today on a whim. Never shot it, so figured why not try it out. 115gr fmj. $10/50rds. Any of y'all ever shoot this stuff and what did you think about it?

SG9W.jpg

mikld

Blackhawk
Nope, but what do they mean by "service grade". Just passable so the every round goes bang, or meets "military standards"?

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
mikld said:
Nope, but what do they mean by "service grade". Just passable so the every round goes bang, or meets "military standards"?

Here's some info about the various "grades" of ammo:

https://ammosquared.com/ammo-quality-grades/

Service grade is good general purpose shooting ammo. Cases are new brass and can be reloaded. Includes American manufacturer "budget" lines such as American Eagle or Blazer Brass. Will also include non-US makers of quality ammo like PMC or Magtech as well as quality military rounds from IMI. This is the most popular category because it gives good "bang for your buck". Specific brands you'll see in Service Grade Ammunition include:

ervice Grade Ammunition:
Blazer Brass
PMC Bronze
Magtech
Federal American Eagle
Fiocchi
PPU / Prvi Partizan
IMI
ZQI
Speer Lawman
Winchester
Armscor
Sellier & Bellot
Aguila
Remington UMC

DGW1949

Hunter
I suspect that it's as good as any other SAAMI-Spec 115FMJ ammo. Nothing that I'd give up my mil-spec Winchester NATO 124FMJ for though.

DGW

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
DGW1949 said:
I suspect that it's as good as any other SAAMI-Spec 115FMJ ammo. Nothing that I'd give up my mil-spec Winchester NATO 124FMJ for though.

DGW

Shot some of it this morning. No problems. No significant fouling or crud. Shoots to same poa as my Hornady, so I reckon I'll be using it for practice. Can't beat the price. :)

DGW1949

Hunter
$10 a box equates to .20 per round. About the only way you could beat that is to buy it from a distributor in 1000 Rd lots.
I wasn't sure how well that flat point was going to feed in your pistol, but so far so good eh?

DGW

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
DGW1949 said:
$10 a box equates to .20 per round. About the only way you could beat that is to buy it from a distributor in 1000 Rd lots.
I wasn't sure how well that flat point was going to feed in your pistol, but so far so good eh?

DGW

I wondered about that myself, and if the 20lb spring (aftermarket) would be too much for this light bullet to cycle. But all went well. I have yet to find any ammo my 9e won't eat, which is a comforting thought. :)

I might stock up on this stuff in a couple months (sales tax holiday coming up 31 Aug- 2 Sept).

Clovishound

Blackhawk
GunnyGene said:
DGW1949 said:

DGW

Shot some of it this morning. No problems. No significant fouling or crud. Shoots to same poa as my Hornady, so I reckon I'll be using it for practice. Can't beat the price. :)

Well, I don't know about your area, but in my locale, I can get Federal for $17 and change for 100. They usually carry both brass and aluminum. I don't remember off the top of my head whether the quoted price is brass or aluminum. The aluminum cased stuff is a little cheaper. Tula steel cased is even cheaper.

Oh, that's at Walmart.

I've had enough trouble with Winchester, I don't buy it anymore if I can help it.

32shooter

Blackhawk
If you want to try some Remington it can be had at Target Sports for $189.80/1000, about $9.50/50 if you buy 1000 rounds it is free shipping. I have bought from them several times without any problems.https://www.targetsportsusa.com/remington-military-law-enforcement-overrun-9mm-luger-ammo-115-grain-fmj-b9mm3-p-77792.aspx

Latest posts