10/22 Illuminated Scope

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Yesterday I took my 10/22 to the range to sight in the new scope I mounted on it, the scope is a Vortex 2x7 Crossfire II. After getting it sighted in and drilling a few holes in the air I have a few comments to make about this particular scope.
Firstly, I paid $129 for the scope and it is of course not illuminated. Second, there's a considerable amount of glare when sighting in the target. Those two issues aside it's a pretty good scope given the price point. Unfortunately being past 65 my eyesight is pretty lousy so that even what some would deem a little thing becomes a big thing as the peepers become less sharp. So, does anyone have personal experience owning a Vortex illuminated scope that also has better optics and that works well with the Ruger 10/22. Also, if so what power scope is it and what model. My thanks for all replies.

unodemo

Bearcat
Using 36gr CPHP Mini-Mags. A red dot (1.71" above the barrel centerline) zeroed at 50yds gives me 8-70yds MPBR or when I feel like it a spare cheap CenterPoint 4-9x32 scope (2.6" above the barrel centerline) with red/green illuminated reticle zeroed at 50yds for 17-72yd MPBR; 100yds is no problem. I prefer the red dot because the 10/22 basically goes point and click.

Improved clarity optics will drive up your purchase price. I got an older pre-owned Nikon P-Tactical 3-9x40 on a Savage Mk II and the optics are pretty clear for me. 100yds is easy with SK Rifle Match. I thought BSA Sweet's optics where fine...until I got the Nikon scope. The BSA resides in the toy box now.

For what it's worth I found the following scope at eurooptic.com and it seems like a really good buy for the money. The Vortex Crossfire II 3-9x50 V-Brite Illuminated Riflescope 31027 and the reticle seems more eye friendly than the current scope I bought which is the Vortex 2x7 CrossFire II, the illuminated scope is about $60 more but definitely seems worth it. For the old guys like me that are in the market for some optic help this just might do the trick.

contender

Ruger Guru
The better the quality of the optics,, the better it is to see things. Plus,, a sun-shade can help a lot too.

I own just (1) scope with the ability to illuminate the crosshairs. I rarely use it. And mine is not a Vortex so I can not give any direct info here.

But once I decided long ago to buy better quality optics,, I discovered what I'd been missing.

I'm over 70 so my eyes are not what they used to be, either.
The Vortex 'V-Brite' works well for it's intended purpose (illuminating the aiming point under extremely low light conditions). This is what illuminated reticles do. Making the aiming point more visible during full light isn't the intended purpose. The illuminated aiming point will become fuzzy and imprecise at higher levels such as would be necessary during full light. If seeing the cross hair is the problem, possibly a center dot reticle would help or a scope with thicker crosshairs. Have you adjusted the eyepiece to suit your eye?
As Contender mentioned, a sun shade might help the 'glare'. Even a thin cardboard sleeve made by cutting a strip from a cereal box and taping it to the objective end of the scope will prevent this glare for free. I've not noticed this except when aiming directly toward the rising or setting sun.