39A marlin

Help Support Ruger Forum:

MHtractorguy

Single-Sixer
I sold my Golden 39A because it was too heavy for me to carry around in the woods.
I replaced it with a Browning BL22.
The Browning probably will depreciate in value, where the Marlin will continue to gain value.

eveled

Hawkeye
One of the best things about the Marlin and Henry rifles, is the full throw. My 30/30 and .357 handle the same as my .22's.

While they may be fine rifles, and are more efficient and faster, a short throw action is a deal breaker for me on a lever action. Also it has to be side feed if it is a centerfire.

I feel like I'm using a toy when I shoot a .22 bolt pump or semi automatic rifle. The long stroke lever actions feel like a centerfire rifle.

VZM.IMG_20150919_181006.jpeg

Last edited:

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
A Model 39A was my first "real" rifle. My uncle taught me to shoot walnuts out of a tree that stood in the front yard.
The story behind that rifle was that it was for Christmas. Dad insisted that any rifle I had was to have an exposed hammer so he could tell when it was cocked. Ther were only two .22 repeaters that met that reqjuirement, the Marlin and the Winchester pump. I referrred the lever action. And, Lo, nds behold! there it appeared on Christmas Day!

Bob Wright

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
A stoory about my Marlin 39A:

I used discarded Prince Albert tobacco tins as my targets, salvaged from the trash pile. Thse tins were red with a big white oval on the front, there being an kimage of Prince Albert in the oval. The oval made a good "bullseye."

My uncle saw me shooting at the tins, then made me turn the tins edgewise to me to makd a more difficult target.

This was my Uncle Buford Prowell, my mother's brother in law, a sharpshooter in World War I. Uncle Buford was a renown squirrel hunter, favoring a Savage 340 in .22 Hornet. He favorite guns were those that could fit in his shirt pcket, the little Colt and Browning .25 ACP pistols.

He averaged maybe 49 squirrels from a box of 50. We ate squirrel when we visited.

Bob Wright

David Lee Valdina

Single-Sixer
Would you pay $859 for a decent used 39a? I want one to keep and squirrel hunt. They are so hard to find snd $800 and up seems the go I ng rate now.
Yes, I would pay that. I have two, both made some years ago. One has the Ballard rifling. I enjoy them and they will appreciate in value whereas my dollar bills will buy less and less over time due to our inflation and printing dollars as fast as we can.

I am biased. My Father purchased a 39A in 1960. On our first trip to "the farm" he shot three squirrels from the front seat of our '53 Plymouth in the 1/2 mile it took to get from the main road to the house. Then he put on a Lyman receiver sight with a Merit aperture. I grew up with that rifle. Later in life I started experimenting with different ammunitions and realized how accurate it really was. My Father passed in '98, I put Lyman receiver sights with Merit apertures on any rifle I can.

If I hadn't grown' up with this rifle I wouldn't appreciate it. If I hadn't inherited this rifle I would have paid dearly for one. If you haven't spent a weekend and a brick of shells plinking, or a good season squirrel hunting, or on a couple of summers on a 95' bluff shooting turtles...
I have the same advice for Colt Woodsman pistols.

TINCANBANDIT is back

Single-Sixer
I got my 39A in a round about way, I saw an add on my local gun forum, a guy that I had done business with before was looking for a 10/22 for his kids, he wanted to trade a model 39A, I had an extra receiver, new barrel and new stock and enough of the other parts to put together a practically new 10/22, we made the trade, it had almost no bluing left and the stocks were aftermarket and didn't fit the gun. A project for sure.
IMG_6824.JPG

After some research I realized I needed help identifying what I had, I went onto the Rimfire Central forum for help, I posted pictured and my query. A member messaged me and told me it was a 1st year model, possibly a transition from 39 to 39A and he wanted it. He traded me a 1950 vintage 39A in very good condition, straight across. I had maybe $100 in the 10/22 and now I have a beautiful 39A shooter. Here it is below with his big brothers 1895 45-70 and 1894 44 Mag.

IMG_0972.JPG

RESSOR130

Bearcat
Yes, I would pay that. I have two, both made some years ago. One has the Ballard rifling. I enjoy them and they will appreciate in value whereas my dollar bills will buy less and less over time due to our inflation and printing dollars as fast as we can.
Like many here I have several favorite guns, but my 39A is one that I would never sell! Damn accurate and so much fun to shoot!

KS25-06

Single-Sixer
Some of the Marlin 39 variations will bring quite a bit of money. Two of them are the 39 Carbine and one of the 1st Mounties with a 24" barrel. Also some of the 39A"S with carved stocks from the factories. Probably the ones that bring the most are the chrome plated Mountie and 39 rifle that, if my memory is correct were the 90th anniversary models that had a squirrel carved in the right side of the stock. There were also blued models that had the squirrel stock on them. I was told by an old Marlin collector that they did this use up the extras that were made for the Anniversary models. If you really want to know about Marlins, find Brophy's book titled Marlin Firearms.

bykerhd

Single-Sixer
I traded a Ruger .30 Carbine 3 screw Blackhawk with a co-worker for a Marlin 39M Mountie in the mid 70s.
Even swap and I think I got the better deal.

My son managed to guilt me out of the Mountie some years back.

I may still have to find a replacement for the Marlin some day.
39A or M, maybe a Browning BL-22 or maybe even one of the Browning Autos I have lusted over for decades ?
Who knows ?

A little History on the 39 Good read. As stated before I'm happy wish my Golden 39M

crow#2

Single-Sixer
I found early that mine was made in 1952. It looks good but if ya get to really looking its a little tough. That dont bother me. The only thing that reall bothers me is its only got one screw hole in top of receiver so if i ever want a scope ive got to get more holes drilled snd tapped.

mirglip

Single-Sixer
The Marlin 39A is my favorite .22 lever action. Yes I would pay $859 for a decent one if I didn't already have 11 of them.

eveled

Hawkeye
Anyone else love stuffing a 39a with .22shorts? It is a special treat!

Load it on Sunday and shoot all week. Lol. 😂

Last edited:

32shooter

Blackhawk
Anyone else love stuffing a 39a with .22shorts? It is a special treat!

Load it on Sunday and shoot all week. Lol. 😂
I usually use my Browning SA22 short rifle when shooting shorts. I have a handful of Marlins, I will have to give this a try. Probably fit a whole box in one.

Attachments

• 20180209_162807.jpg
    20180209_162807.jpg
    287.7 KB · Views: 10

eveled

Hawkeye
I usually use my Browning SA22 short rifle when shooting shorts. I have a handful of Marlins, I will have to give this a try. Probably fit a whole box in one.
26 shorts in a full size 39a It kills me to pay extra for shorts, but it's worth it.

32shooter

Blackhawk
Haven't seen .22 shorts around lately, but, I haven't really looked.
How is the price compared to .22 LR ?

I bought a case of them a few years ago, cheap. Haven't really looked at prices lately as I don't need any. Were under $5 /100 after rebate if I remember correctly.

Latest posts