.44 Carbine Recoil Pad

Help Support Ruger Forum:

vanbsnepdx

Bearcat
looking for suggestions on a recoil pad for a 1963 .44 carbine. permanent or a slip on version, Velcro or lace up type. i have the permanent version on my 10/22 and would not think that would reduce the recoil because it is made of a Hard Rubber. which do you folks have/use? thanks or any other suggestions, please!

Chief 101

Hunter

this is what I use and its been on there a long time, since new. Pachmayer brand...it works good
you could probly use a boot and not have to cut the stock...

wunbe

Buckeye
An extra recoil pad is not necessary on that carbine IMO. Hell, in my better days I could keep a can rolling with mine the muzzle jump is so limited. You might want the extra length pull if you are long armed but recoil is negligible too.

wunbe

vanbsnepdx

Bearcat
thanks for the replies. yes, i do believe the gun valuable to a certain extent. i was my brothers birthday gift in September. you know, come to think of it, he does have long arms than most and maybe that is what he was mentioning and did not even know it. he was talking about the scope being to close for the way he holds/aims the rifle. what limb saver/recoil pad did you folks install? what brands were the best to configure the the curved butt of the 44 carbine? he would like to keep it in the same configuration for collect ability sake. sound more like a slip on version. do they add length? thanks for all the replies.

wunbe

Buckeye
There used to be a slick solution to get a longer buttstock. In essence it was a stretch sleeve with foam inserts that allowed you to get exactly the lenght you wanted w/o buggering the stock. Made by an outfit called bear Paw IIRC.

wunbe

dennis53

Bearcat
I installed this one and am very happy with it:
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/425407/john-masen-recoil-pad-ruger-10-22-44-carbine-mini-14-and-mini-30-rifle-extended-rubber-black

It is more of a stock extender rather than a recoil pad since it is fairly hard material. But it follows the curve of the stock and does not require any modifications to the stock. I put it on for t-shirt shooting at the range and take it off for any winter coat shooting.

dennis53

chefrob1

Single-Sixer
wunbe said:
There used to be a slick solution to get a longer buttstock. In essence it was a stretch sleeve with foam inserts that allowed you to get exactly the lenght you wanted w/o buggering the stock. Made by an outfit called bear Paw IIRC.
beartooth.....got mine at basspro and it works good for me........around $20

http://www.beartooth-products.com/review-and-purchase-products/recoil-pad-kits/recoil-pad-kit-brown.html

mohavesam

Hawkeye
Sims Vibration Laboratories - LimbSaver Slip On Recoil Pads.

No mess, no marring, no modification. the best option I've found for any of Ruger's guns with real recoil and a too-short LOP.

chefrob1

Single-Sixer
mohavesam said:
Sims Vibration Laboratories - LimbSaver Slip On Recoil Pads.

No mess, no marring, no modification. the best option I've found for any of Ruger's guns with real recoil and a too-short LOP.

not sure how the stock is on the carbine but on my 96/44 the butt is curved and those didn't fit very well for me.

mohavesam

Hawkeye
The only curved butt that gave me an issue was the Browning 1885.
I cut a crescent of harder foam and slipped it in place. Result: instant tight fit and excellent improvement. No modification to the low-wall.