Bunch of babies at the range.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

I look upon wear as "Character," the same as in life lines in a man's face.

Shortly after buying my Ruger Blackhawk back in 1958, I was crossing a barbed wire (bob war fence) fence and one strand snapped down and incised a perfect letter "N" in the outside grip. Each time I saw the mark, it reminded me of that incident.

Bob Wright
Bob, maybe so, but your guns do look especially nice in all the pictures you post. 😀

I don't own anything that doesn't get worn, because it all gets carried and fired. I have had a particularly sentimental piece refinished, and the only reason I don't carry that one is I need a new holster. Eventually (hopefully) it will get worn again also.
I'm not a collector, I'm a shooter.

Fujicon

Bearcat
All my tools receive respect, so dings, scratches, dents are to be avoided. That said, some guns are more "toolish" than others, generally the less expensive ones. Not going to worry about normal wear and tear on a $400 Savage or Ruger. However, I never take a $5000 rifle hunting, and those high-end firearms definitely get a lot more TLC at the range. So it depends...

Kinda like some guys who put a few hundred miles a year on their motorcycle, and spend more time polishing than riding. I put 10,000 miles or more on mine each year, and it gets washed when I ride it in the rain.
My neighbor's kids wash their vehicles at least 5 times a week. My truck just turned 100K and it gets washed once a year when it gets undercoated. The truck is well maintained but it is a work truck...

hike

Bearcat
Maybe it is just me (Its possible) but if feels like the newer shooters are overly worried about wear, tear, scratches, or general use marks on their firearms. I have seen a lot of posts complaining about finish wear on semi auto handgun barrels ejection marks holster wear etc.
I was at the range and listened to a couple of guys worrying about why the finish was wearing off of the tight-fitting barrel. I was brought up to keep firearms clean not pristine. Not a rant. Just wondering.
It's you ... definitely!
It's the new car syndrome. If you newer had a new car, you'll never know.
It's also a young person syndrome.
I just look, chuckle, and ignore. Don't offer advice to a young person unless they ask. They tend to think that you're telling them what to do.
LOL!!!