Cadbury bunny

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Ya know, my children knew then what Easter is all about, and we celebrated Easter. And because of what Easter has given us, and because of the Love we have for our family, we just gave our kids a great day, Easter baskets and all. They were not children for very long until they inherited what the world has created for them. If they have great memories of their childhood, so be it.

Last edited:

pyth0n

Buckeye
Watching TV an saw the ad for Cadbury chocolate eggs. I got thinking about how far from what Easter is ACTUALLY about, that you never hear about, and wondered how chocolate bunnys and and eggs fit into the celebration
I wonder too and found that the Easter holiday coincided with the celebration of spring by, IIRC, the Druids or Pagans, & the rabbit was a symbol of new life, rabbits doing what they do. Maybe someone will have a better way of explaining . But that's what I recall. Just as it's been said Christmas coincides with the pagan celebration of the winter solstice. Not totally up on all the theories.

Ride1949

Hunter
Easter Eggs.jpg

eveled

Hawkeye
Easter is the end of lent, many people give up sweets for lent so Easter is the first day in a month you can have candy.

A few hundred years ago in Germany people gave up eggs for lent. So Easter was the first time to have an egg in a month. The German imigrants brought the egg tradition to the US in 1700's.

The bunny represents new life and fertility. A symbol of spring.

OLE_X_ME

Bearcat
Ya know, my children knew then what Easter is all about, and we celebrated Easter. And because of what Easter has given us, and because of the Love we have for our family, we just gave our kids a great day, Easter baskets and all. They were not children for very long until they inherited what the world has created for them. If they have great memories of their childhood, so be it.

same with me growing up, and my kids growing up..

all kids dressed to "the nines" and going to church services...then visiting the grand parents, and shut in relatives.

then once home a nice Easter Breakfast....later in the day, a HUGE Easter dinner, with ham, and all the trimmings.

1 or 2 days before the holiday, the kids would dye and decorate the Easter eggs, put them into small hand baskets, with that fake grass, candy and a "trinket toy", and exchange those with another kid.

now they do the same with thier kids, and with thier grand kids.....

some religious traditions carry on

@eveled mentioned lent. I was going to ask @Fox Mike what did you give up for lent? 😀

My daughter and I had a huge discussion about this. She couldn't figure out what to give up. I said why not make yourself better somehow. She said "No," it's about sacrifice, not making yourself better…

She's getting 104% in her religion class. (Me bragging,) Needless to say she knows more about religion that I do.

Anyway, we had a nice discussion. And yes, I would agree with @eveled

Reminds me of no meat Fridays, with a fried seafood captains platter for supper. Hardly a sacrifice. Lol.

I've come to believe it's more about what is in your heart more than outward displays of religion.
My biggest question was why can't you improve something about yourself?

Without getting all religious, wouldn't an improvement be just as good? I.e study harder, be a better friend, support a local charity, etc.

But anyway, we confirmed: I gave up sweets also. My daughter gave up soda pop.

eveled

Hawkeye
My biggest question was why can't you improve something about yourself?

Without getting all religious, wouldn't an improvement be just as good? I.e study harder, be a better friend, support a local charity, etc.

But anyway, we confirmed: I gave up sweets also. My daughter gave up soda pop.
I agree it seems like a fine line. Especially since we usually give up something that is bad for us anyway.

Giving up sweets or soda pop for a month is going to improve your health.

I see your point, but agree with her it is about sacrificing not improving.

OLE_X_ME

Bearcat
Reminds me of no meat Fridays, with a fried seafood captains platter for supper. Hardly a sacrifice. Lol.

I've come to believe it's more about what is in your heart more than outward displays of religion.
if i recall, the pope (which one i cannot say), either did away with "no meat" Friday's or, at least allowed it by parish priest if you asked for "special dispensation"..???

for me, as far back as when all my kids were still at home (before they all got married) we really did not eat meats on Fridays, but rather maybe a tuna casserole, or tuna rice bake, of some sort of baked fish, etc.

i figure someday, when i meet my maker, at the very least for all i had done in my life, he'll know i didn't eat meat on Fridays.....maybe the "Big Guy" will gimme a pass..????

if i recall, the pope (which one i cannot say), either did away with "no meat" Friday's or, at least allowed it by parish priest if you asked for "special dispensation"..???

for me, as far back as when all my kids were still at home (before they all got married) we really did not eat meats on Fridays, but rather maybe a tuna casserole, or tuna rice bake, of some sort of baked fish, etc.

i figure someday, when i meet my maker, at the very least for all i had done in my life, he'll know i didn't eat meat on Fridays.....maybe the "Big Guy" will gimme a pass..????
When I was Chief Engineer I ended up working an afternoon shift on Good Friday with one of my part time Engineers. We grilled Delmonico steaks with baked potatoes and a salad. Someone came into the Powerhouse and saw what we were making for dinner. They said something about it being Good Friday.... I can't repeat the exact comment that my work partner "J-J-J-Johnny" said (he stuttered sometimes).... But I had Vernor's Ginger Ale coming out of my nose and his comment is forevermore in Powerhouse lore!

The person he made the comment to was very offended but they shouldn't have been in the Powerhouse to begin with...

OLE_X_ME

Bearcat
When I was Chief Engineer I ended up working an afternoon shift on Good Friday with one of my part time Engineers. We grilled Delmonico steaks with baked potatoes and a salad. Someone came into the Powerhouse and saw what we were making for dinner. They said something about it being Good Friday.... I can't repeat the exact comment that my work partner "J-J-J-Johnny" said (he stuttered sometimes).... But I had Vernor's Ginger Ale coming out of my nose and his comment is forevermore in Powerhouse lore!

The person he made the comment to was very offended but they shouldn't have been in the Powerhouse to begin with...
some people, like that person that walked in on you guys, should realize that not everyone either knows all the teachings of another person's religion, or rituals.

some people, like that person that walked in on you guys, should realize that not everyone either knows all the teachings of another person's religion, or rituals.
It's funny because I eat fish regularly and have a fish fry almost every week. One Good Friday my wife was with her dad and brother on the way to her sister's house for Easter. They stopped for lunch and my father and brother in law ordered a fish sandwich. It was at McDonald's and my wife doesn't like their fish. They had a fit over her ordering a Quarter Pounder with Cheese! She told them that if they kept it up that they were going to have to ride in the trunk! You don't mess with an ICU RN!

KIR

Sparks, NV
Around the early sixties, I read yet of many transgressions by numerous members of the church, so I gave up Lent for Lent.

Many years/decades/last century and millenium, I read an article about how some fishing village was having probs selling their fish. So the pope made a decree - no eating of meat on Fridays. Best alternative was fish. So, that's why that happened. In my olde age, my doctor says to have a salmon steak twice a week, that it is good for my heart. Have done so for many years now. This afternoon, will be having a wild Alaskan caught, Sockeye Salmon steak and a Micheloeb Ultra while watching the first MLBTV.com baseball game, GO DODGERS!

Sorry, if I got off track, but then that's me. I love Dark Chocolate, better than milk chocolate!

Paul B

Hunter

I think it might have been Pius, sorry don't remember the number. I was going to a Catholic school at the time and I remember Sister Mary Jane coming into the class and telling us about it. She said Father Alfred would continue the policy of no meat Fridays for the school lunches but those who brought their own could eat whatever they want.
Paul B.

Regarding meatless Fridays. Many religious taboos and requirements have a firm basis for their beginnings. Restrictions on pork by several religions is a good example.

Improperly cleaned and prepared pork resulted in numerous illnesses and deaths. Most folks couldn't read. By using the power of religious taboo pork was avoided and those issues subsided.

Meatless Friday had a financial basis. It forced the adherents to purchase fish on at least one day a week. This increased the fishermen's income and resulted in higher donations to the church.

Yes the pope at the time did away with meatless Fridays as fishing had greatly diminished as an occupation and the rise of other jobs insured continued income for the church.

In much the same way many folks whose religion one banned pork now eat it because food safety has improved as has the education level of the followers.

If one looks a rational and non religious reason can be found for most religions teachings. Religion was the way the masses were controlled "for their own good".

Does that sound like a familiar tactic?