Forming .256 Win Mag cases - pic added

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Capn27

Single-Sixer
I finally have a reliable sequence to reform .357 Rem. Mag. cases into .256 Win. Mag. cases for my Hawkeye.

1. Annealing the brass:

a. Punch out the old primers from the .357 cases. I used a .44 die to do this. No sense running it through a .357 sizing die. It's much easier to just punch out the primer.
b. Sand down a small wooden dowel to fit tightly in the primer hole.
c. Darken the room, jam a case on the dowel, rotate in the flame of a propane torch for ten seconds. Just before it turns red, knock the case off the dowel into a large coffee can of water. Repeat.

2. Forming the brass:

a. Don't try to use a multi-station press like a Dillon 550. The shell plate will tilt a tiny bit under the pressure of forming and the brass will scrape the side of the die, ruining it.
b. Put a Nylon brush in a drill press or lathe and use it to lube the inside of the case neck.
c. Lightly lube the outside of the cases.
d. On a single-station press, use the bullet seating die to initially re-form the case mouth and start a shoulder on the case.
e. Then use the sizing die with the neck sizer/primer punch to finish the job.
f. Toss the formed cases in your brass tumbler or vibrator to shine them up and get rid of the annealing colors. Either prime them first or be prepared to pick the media out of the flash holes and primer pockets.

Or, just buy some new cases from Reed - but where's the fun in that?

2012-06-18_11-38-45_937.jpg

Good time to have this topic going. I just bought a Marlin in the Classifieds so I'll be trying to figure this cartridge out soon enough. I've been reloading since 1982 but this will be a new one for me.

One thread I was reading about reloading for the Marlin mentioned a loose chamber fit and how this led to brass stretching and cases not lasting very long. (Even though I then read another thread where the OP talked about only neck sizing his brass. Guess we will see what my rifle is like!) But thinking about stretching brass and the issues that all lever actions have with reloads led me to a logical question... other than the aggravation and cost... wouldn't it be a superior solution to use Maximum brass to make .256 WM cases? (I know there was a .256 Maximum wildcat, not talking about that one.)

Sure, you would have to trim that long case back. And I assume you would have less case capacity due to thicker case walls. But you would end up with a nice strong case. I've got a few hundred of them out in my reloading room so I might have to sacrifice 25-50 of them in a comparison test.

Really looking forward to the Marlin. Should be perfect for medium size vermin around my ranch.

Gregg

Capn27

Single-Sixer
I seem to remember reading that post. I also seem to remember reading that, if you back off from maximum loads, your brass would last forever.

If you already have maximum btass, why not use it? I had some magnum brass, so used that. I didn't need to trim it as it was .010" shorter after forming.

Latest posts