Hat rack

Help Support Ruger Forum:

The other day we were speaking of what to do with your hat when you went into an establishment. It was mentioned that you never see hat racks anymore. Well, today I took my wife for a vascular surgery appointment and low and behold, just inside the door was a hat rack.
I would post a photo but Imgur now has a "share" set up and I care not to use it.

Last edited:
Some places get it, and some places just still have hat racks left over from a previous era.

I was on a cruise ship recently. Even in the fancy dining room there are no hat racks. I set my hat on the sill next to our table. Many servers, and even the headwaiter asked whose hat it was when they walked by. I had a discussion with the headwaiter about hat protocol, or what used to be, in the U.S. I explained there was nowhere to put my hat. She had never heard of such protocol. And I expect most folks younger than me have never heard of it, even within the U.S.

More traditions bite the dust.

Maybe some traditions were meant to die. I'm glad I don't have to wear a wig or other accessoriess when I go out in public. :rolleyes:

df05f82463bfce27fc3356063b6f73d1.jpg

Rat76

Single-Sixer
I wear vintage fedoras. As far as I'm concerned, a hat rack in an eating establishment anywhere other than right at my table or booth is a "hat disposal site". A rack just inside the front door? No, just no.

The same holds true for any professional office waiting room.

Some older establishments still have a coat room. But unless it has an employee assigned to monitor it, and to control who takes what coat when the leave, it is just another opportunity for low lifes to steal a nice jacket or coat. I don't often wear a hat, but in today's world leaving a hat, or coat on a rack not in direct and close view of the owner is just foolish and naive.

I've decided to give up an trying to encourage others to follow what used to be called common courtesy of removing one's hat when entering a public building. The current practice of men wearing their grimy baseball caps at the table while eating seems to have taken over our country.

My opinion on the matter is this. What difference does it make if someone wears their hat indoors?

What is courteous about removing your hat?

And if it's sunny outside and a hat is worn that day, when you go inside a store where are we supposed to put our hats?

It does seem to me as @WAYNO points out, a tradition meant to die.

I guess if more people ignored what others do/say and aren't bothered by how someone wears their clothes; blood pressure would drop across the country.

I guess I'm not in a better mood in regards to this topic. (Very tired of hat discussions 🥱)

My opinion on the matter is this. What difference does it make if someone wears their hat indoors?

And if it's sunny outside and a hat is worn that day, when you go inside a store where are we supposed to put our hats?

I guess if more people ignored what others do/say and aren't bothered by how someone wears their clothes; blood pressure would drop across the country.

I guess I'm not in a better mood in regards to this topic. (Very tired of hat discussions 🥱)
I'm pretty much with Kevin on this one, I don't wear hats and don't care who does or doesn't and where they do or don't.
Will say again that my ex-Marine Corps brother in law will not tolerate anybody wearing one at the table eating.

Oh, I don't think this is all about getting ones woke panties in a wad about a gentlemanly custom of kinder generations.

Other than in the military, or while visiting the Alamo, you don't have to worry that someone is gonna make you take off your hat. You have rights!

It's simply about, I choose to not wear my hat while eating in a restaurant, but they have nowhere to hang it. Sheesh.

Last edited:
I was thinking about this hat thing just the other day while walking the dogs... mostly because of previous post in this vain ..... wearing a hat inside.... I think it is okay in certain places that are public... like the grocery store and other shopping places... but of course not in a restaurant or a profession office or in someones home and especially while eating. Every Sunday as I walk up to the entrance of my church.. I take my hat off as I walk in the door. But as mentioned... especially in a restaurant... I'm not hanging even a baseball type hat up by the front door... it goes with me.

woodsy

Blackhawk
Remember all those movies in the '50's, where you would see news announcers wearing a hat while they were broadcasting? Could never figure that out.

I was thinking about this hat thing just the other day while walking the dogs... mostly because of previous post in this vain ..... wearing a hat inside.... I think it is okay in certain places that are public... like the grocery store and other shopping places... but of course not in a restaurant or a profession office or in someones home and especially while eating. Every Sunday as I walk up to the entrance of my church.. I take my hat off as I walk in the door. But as mentioned... especially in a restaurant... I'm not hanging even a baseball type hat up by the front door... it goes with me.

Even here, there's different methods or expectations.

In cowboy bars around here, the hat racks are at the table where you're seated. Either on the booth frame, on the wall next to your table, or on the back of the chair.

At the local chinese joint, I put my hat on a shelf about 20' from our table, and when I went to leave, my hat was gone. I never would have considered this a possibility. What I really suspect, is my hat said ARMY, and some wokester threw it away.

To date everyone says it's rude to wear a hat indoors, but nobody has said why.

What is the reasoning? And please don't just say it's courtesy, or that's the way it's always been done.

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
The other day we were speaking of what to do with your hat when you went into an establishment. It was mentioned that you never see hat racks anymore. Well, today I took my wife for a vascular surgery appointment and low and behold, just inside the door was a hat rack.
I would post a photo but Imgur now has a "share" set up and I care not to use it.
You don't have to "share" when you post a pic. It's a little more tedious than the old version, but not too bad. Here's how:

Upload the pic. When it loads, scroll down. You'll see this screen (with your pic).

Click on Delete post

Screenshot 2024-04-16 142536.jpg

You'll get this popup:
Click on Delete Post Only in the red box. Your image(s) will not be deleted from your account, and you won't have shared anything.

1713295646859.png

It matters because it is the respectful, courteous and culturally acceptable norm. It speaks of a proper upbringing.