How many cartridges do you have for each caliber?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

larry8

Single-Sixer
My God child is a LEO and she told me to have at least 1000 cartridges for each caliber gun that I have. So, how many do you have?

bisleyfan41

Blackhawk
My God child is a LEO and she told me to have at least 1000 cartridges for each caliber gun that I have. So, how many do you have?

How many you should keep on hand depends upon your usage. One caliber, you might not shoot 1000 rounds in a decade. Others, you may shoot 1000/week.

In light of the covid/civil unrest/political shortages we've experienced, it may be a better idea to strive for keeping a 2-year supply (or more) on hand, either ammo and/or the components to make it. Per chambering. Whatever that number might be.

KIR

Sparks, NV
Nuff said...

CANNED GOODS.jpg

I guess I'm on the low side, I only have 200 rounds for each of my guns.... generally my ammo cabinet has around 14,000.

Many years ago my father along with some of his work buddies bought a case of SKS's and with them they each got a 1200 round case of ammo. One of the guys wanted more ammo and ask my father if he would sell 600 rounds of his and he said sure. When the guy showed up to get them he asked if my father was really okay with only 600 rounds and my father answered if the time came he needed more and he couldn't get it with the 600 he had then he did not deserve it. He was a Marine in Korea and a lot of their equipment was 'donated' by the Army.

XP100

Blackhawk
I have alot more than I had before the lockdown. I got bored deprimed and wet tumbled all the brass I had, dried it, Sized it, prepped primer pockets inside, trimed to length and then primed them and loaded them in. Glad I had notes from working up loads for each caliber over the years. It knocked the hell out of my primer, powder and bullet supply.

DGW1949

Hunter
I'd say that having that many as a dedicated reserve would be better. Then after that, get down to the "stocking enough to shoot" part....Expensive? ,yes indeed. But that part only gets worse with time. Then again, if you buy in case lots, I think that you'll find it to be quite a bit cheaper than the "1 or 2 boxes off the shelf at a time" method. Plus, unless you get caught up in what I call "off the wall calibers", you can easily re-coup your money at about any ole time.

DGW

Last edited:
I just got home from shooting prairie dogs in N &S Dakota. Two rifles in 223, one in 221, and one in 17HMR. I still have more ammo than what your God Child LEO suggests for 223 and 17. I depleted my 221 down some, but still have plenty and lots more brass to reload.

eveled

Hawkeye
Ammo seems like one of the best investments you can make. Stored reasonably well it never goes bad, the price has steadily risen over the years. In an apocalyptic situation a brick of .22 will be worth far more than a brick of solid gold.

gunzo

Hunter
Unless it's rimfires or hard core last ditch fighting cartridges, all a person needs is about a hundred pieces of brass for each chambering, a press, & enough primer & powder to send the quantity of bullets on hand.

I like more for handguns but until I started traveling west to shoot Prairie Dogs, a hundred was plenty for decades for my rifles.

bigbillyboy

Buckeye
Unless it's rimfires or hard core last ditch fighting cartridges, all a person needs is about a hundred pieces of brass for each chambering, a press, & enough primer & powder to send the quantity of bullets on hand.

I like more for handguns but until I started traveling west to shoot Prairie Dogs, a hundred was plenty for decades for my rifles.
For sure ,great to have Your own "ammo factory " . As long as you have good stock of components , you are set ! 👍