Lawn Fertilizer Spreader

Help Support Ruger Forum:

What spreader do you use, and are you satisfied with it? I've gone through 3 Scotts Deluxe Edge Guard spreaders in the last 5 years. I used to think Scotts was the best, but that was before all the plastic parts, pieces, and bodies.

I'm looking for a reliable, long-lasting broadcast spreader for my small suburban lawn. I know I'm gonna have to spend some $, but tell me about some good ones.

Spyker makes some decent ones with SS frames and steel gears. They make a bunch of different models, I don't sell them so can't
suggest a specific one. Plenty of local commercial guys use them.

Ride1949

Hunter
Top of the line.

16249275310625586243973438353455.jpg

^^^I'm just using them. I should explain, I guess, that I used to be a Scotts Lawn Pro, so I am familiar with lawns and how to maintain them. One I used to spread gypsum as well as fertilizer, and the granules were larger than fertilizer particles plus harder, so the plastic around the dispenser wore out giving no on/off control. One was calibrated wrong and the cable that opens and closes the dispenser broke (can't be fixed). The latest one is pushing the fertilizer into the hollow plastic wheels, and releasing it in a straight row with every swath, thus creating deep green lines in my lawn. These are all recent purchases, in the past I didn't have issues with Scotts spreaders.

hittman

Staff member
I've got a Scotts plastic push broadcast spreader. Had it about 10 years now. Have an average size "in town" yard and only use it 2 or 3 times a year.

But ….. 3 years ago found a local lawn service will come here 4 times a year at $40 each. Heck, I was spending about $110 a year on the "stuff" to do it myself and didn't get nearly the good results these guys show me.

Ride1949

Hunter
Cut the bottom out of a plastic gallon jug, punch a hole in it for the axle and put it behind the wheel. Cost... $0.00

I take good care of my lawn. I've tried and gone thru many lawn care products.

The old Scott's-type fertilizer spreader... mediocre in performance, and less than mediocre in durability. The original all metal ones rusted out quickly, regardless of my preventative cleaning. The later ones, mostly plastic, still have metal parts, in the beater bar and in the adjustment chute, as well as the adjustment cable system.

I also have a couple of the hand-held fertilizer spreaders. They're not perfect, but they sure have lasted a long time.

Like the stuff or not, most of my lawn fertilizing is now done with a hose end sprayer with concentrated liquid fertilizer. It doesn't green up as fast as with granulated, but it also doesn't burn my lawn.

Last edited:

KIR

Sparks, NV
I have a spreader that I purchased back in 1989. Still works for me. What doesn't work is any product to make your lawn grown from Scotts! :mad:

Hairtrigger

Single-Sixer
Cut the bottom out of a plastic gallon jug, punch a hole in it for the axle and put it behind the wheel. Cost... $0.00
My 2.25 acres would take WAY more time than I have!
I do use an old anti freeze jug with the top cut out and holes in the bottom to spread insecticide around the patio

Chief 101

Hunter
I totally agree with Jim...I have lived in town for just over ten years and have yet to put fertilizer on my lawn. I do live where the lawn is dormant for a few months during the winter but it is the greenest lawn in the area in January...I haven't bought into the marketing of lawn chemicals...

Latest posts