Lightbulbs

Help Support Ruger Forum:

I don't spend time thinking about lightbulbs, but today I did for a moment. Like many others I was not happy with the government mandating the end of the old type lightbulbs and their replacement with the more expensive (especially in the early days) LED's. But this morning I had to change a recessed bulb in my kitchen ceiling. It was already an LED, and it made me realize that the seven ceiling recessed bulbs in the kitchen had not needed replacement since I changed over to LED about 7 years ago. And that made me realize that throughout my home, with dozens upon dozens of lightbulbs of every sort, other than an appliance bulb in my refrigerator I have not had to change any light bulbs for at least the last six month. I grudgingly have to accept that maybe these LED's are in fact a good idea. They use far less energy, last far, far longer, and now do not seem overly expensive at all.

BearBiologist

Hunter
I agree! I kinda resisted but gradually changed over and almost all of ours are LEDs. The last ones are/were outside yellow bug lights which were hard to find for awhile. I even have LED shop lights in my workshop. I hated being mandated and kinda got my back up at being told what to do.

I actually like the new bulbs and light fixtures. We just remodeled our kitchen and I put in 3 new ceiling lights and 2 sconces. The ceiling fixtures are on dimmer switches and the sconces have lighted switches. I also put 2 LED floodlights on the back of the house. It lights up the area well.

I agree with Vito that you replace bulbs a lot less with the new ones. As far as the light that they give off, you have to adapt to it. There are LED fixtures that have different shades of light and I imagine that they are great for the purpose.

Actnbill

Single-Sixer
Nice thing about those kitchen LED's....is that when they burn out ......it's only 1 of like 10 led's inside that failed and it can be fixed by popping the bulb cover off and winding a little piece of wire around the burned out led.....works like new again.....makes these things actually last quite a while

The led's are wired in sequence.... ( like Christmas Tree lights ) and when one goes....they all go..... wrapping the bad led with a loop of wire bypasses the burned led and lets the others work again...

Last edited:

epags

Single-Sixer
Nice thing about those kitchen LED's....is that when they burn out ......it's only 1 of like 10 led's inside that failed and it can be fixed by popping the bulb cover off and winding a little piece of wire around the burned out led.....works like new again.....makes these things actually last quite a while
Photos please....I am not quite getting the fix from your words.

SteveSt

Bearcat
I enjoy the LED lights for the extra brightness and the longevity of the bulbs. I'm getting older and I need the extra brilliance to see in tight locations. All of the work lights in my shop are LED also.

I spent weekend before last replacing a burned up fluorescent light fixture in my kitchen. Went with the slim "can" lights, plus added task lighting and under cabinet lighting. Still need to finish some of the drywall patches, but it was literally a "night and day" difference. I'm regretting not putting in dimmer switches, but that is not that hard to retro

1712261757834.png

These are the ones that you can "tune" the color to your preference. I prefer the "daylight" 5000k
1712261874843.png

Actnbill

Single-Sixer
This gives you the idea........watch on Youtube....

( I just wrap the bad led with tiny copper wire and does the same thing )

Last edited:

The led's are wired in sequence.... ( like Christmas Tree lights ) and when one goes....they all go..... wrapping the bad led with a loop of wire bypasses the burned led and lets the others work again...
The Homer Simpson school of electrical engineering and repair is now holding classes...... BZZŹZTTT!!!! D'oh!!!!

We don't have LED lighting in the house but I did use LED triple fan blade shaped light clusters for the new shop. Amazing amount of light and at $10 each, we could afford to use more making far more light.

I swapped most of ours over several years back. Now I just have to replace all the under counter lights in the kitchen, which I'm not looking forward to. My basement and shop all have led can lights which are nice, but I think I might try to adjust the ones in the shop to be brighter.
The bonus is now I have lots of regular light bulbs to use to keep my lubesizer warm.

I actually like the new bulbs and light fixtures. We just remodeled our kitchen and I put in 3 new ceiling lights and 2 sconces. The ceiling fixtures are on dimmer switches and the sconces have lighted switches. I also put 2 LED floodlights on the back of the house. It lights up the area well.

I agree with Vito that you replace bulbs a lot less with the new ones. As far as the light that they give off, you have to adapt to it. There are LED fixtures that have different shades of light and I imagine that they are great for the purpose.
Here's my impression of the LEDs they put things like good for ten years on the package. Then they last about 18 months in actual use. How do they get the ten year figure. Well, for one thing they never turn them off after they are turned on. Then again, most of them haven't been out for ten years.

protoolman

Service-Sixer
The LEDs weren't first incandescent replacement, the fluorescent twists were. They sucked. Then came LEDs I love them. Last a super long time and best thing yet you can upgrade your brightness. Take my old garage two fixtures rated for 75 watt max. Screw in two LEDs rated as 150 watt replacements that produce only as much heat as what? Maybe a 25 watt incandescent? Safely double your candlepower in your shop attic, kitchen, wherever.

About 26 years ago I was buying parts at a local wholesale house and they had regular incandescent heavy duty lightbulbs on sale. I bought two cases, one of each 60 W and 100 W lamps. They are rated 130 volts which makes them the heavy duty type. I still have a third of the 60 W case and half of the hundred watt case since I only use them outside. Only problem is that as the light fixtures have changed and the bulbs in them needs to be smaller these bulbs don't work well anymore but I do have some in the house that have been in the fixtures for eight or 10 years And are still working fine. I have LEDs in the house as well, especially in wall sconce fixtures, and in the recessed, can light fixturef above the counter in the kitchen. I found that the LEDs don't last nearly as long as they say on the box, but who keeps receipts to take them back. I used to date them, but I gave up on that too.

I think they do last longer but I am skeptical.... I take a sharpie and write the install date on any I put in at my house.

Back when I was in 'Lectrickle school I was told an incandescent bulb would burn forever as long as it was not turned off... it is the turning off and on that causes them to fail. Heating up and cooling down of the filament.

Slyk Willy

Single-Sixer
I enjoy the LED bulbs in most applications HOWEVER, one should NOT use a conventional LED in your Garage door opener. They will interfere with and may cause damage to the circuit board in the GDO. Home supply places have a shielded LED bulb designed to be used in GDOs that are not much more expensive.
When I had issues with my GDO I called Chamberlin's help line the first question from the tech was "what kind of bulb are you using?"
https://nelsgarage.com/how-do-you-stop-led-lights-from-interfering-with-a-garage-door-opener/