Lipsey Ruger Significance?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

C3Ranger

Bearcat
Please excuse my ignorance on this and educate me...

There are frequent references to Lipsey related Rugers on this forum. What is the significance, if any, of a Lipsey Ruger?

Thank you.

hittman

Staff member
Significance depends on the person. Some seem to worship at the alter of certain distributors; and they do a lot to keep new models coming out and interest in the hobby.

Others like me …. Since I have about ZERO interest in new guns, not so much.

123_145.jpg
dsc04238.jpg_thumbnail1.jpg

gnappi

Blackhawk
Ruger is in business to make money and floating limited interest design balloons that may lose money is unwise. OTOH, Ruger making special runs seems to be profitable for them and the distributors while giving us revolvers that may scratch an itch that a stock Ruger may not. I place some extra value on select distributor special revolvers.

contender

Ruger Guru
Lipsey's is a Distributor.

As far as any significance of a "Lipsey's Special" there can often be a little premium in the secondary market due to the variation of a factory cataloged model.

Distributors can get Ruger to build a gun with a few features not offered by a regular production model. Often in lower numbers,, (500-2000) to get Ruger to build it. They guarantee to Ruger they will purchase all of them, so Ruger has guaranteed sales. And often the features they get done are desirable to enough people that the sales demands exceed the projection. So, sometimes they can bring a premium. And often,, the fact that a distributor got that particular model built,, it's a way to describe WHAT it is to other folks.

And as noted above,, Lipsey's has done a LOT of various guns that many of us want,, so they have a very good, close relationship with Ruger to get stuff built.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
This program is not specific to Ruger or Lipseys as other firearms manufacturers and distributors participate as well, especially Smith & Wesson and Lou Horton, etc. These special model short production runs are generically referred to as "Distributor Exclusive" models. Also occasionally large Sporting Goods stores will order exclusive models like Buckeye Sports convertible Blackhawks in .32-20/32 mag and 38-40/40 S&W.

And if I remember correctly when you see these special models on Ruger's website catalog, no price is listed but you are referred to the distributor of that particular exclusive model.

It's an excellent program in my opinion because it's a way to obtain a slightly different version of a standard model that Ruger doesn't feel worthy of regular full time production due to limited buyers. So instead of having to pay a gunsmith a custom fee to make your own special version of a standard model, you might convince a distributor to order an exclusive which will have a retail price fairly close to a standard model Ruger.

Lipseys has an employee that's a member here who gathers ideas from members and knows about current exclusives. Popular exclusive models can hold or exceed their original value on the secondary market.

Another fun way to feed our Ruger addiction!

Last edited:

smith1961

Blackhawk
Some of these distributor exclusives are as simple as a different finish, barrel length or set of sights. Some of the exact gun have been produced a couple or three times by different distributors. I initiated a thread here and reached out to Jason at Lipsey's regarding a certain caliber to be chambered in a Vaquero. The thread is over a decade old with 100 entities here stating they would buy one.

gunzo

Hunter
I'd like to put in my opinion of Lipsey Rugers above & beyond what significance they have as fare value.

To me, A Lipsey Ruger is one that Lipsey thought would sell when Ruger was unsure & Lipsey ordered a thousand or so to ensure that Ruger made them. Many, if not all have been a success. IMO, Lipsey is at least responsible for the introduction of:
The 44 Special mid frame flattop Blackhawks,,,, they sold well.
357 mid frame flattop Blackhawks
The 454 & 480 Ruger Bisley Blackhawks. On & On.

I could go on way beyond my knowledge of the firearms that Lipsey has prodded Ruger to make or commissioned Ruger to make special runs of that Ruger may not have ever gotten around to or even thought would sell. That in it my self is what makes Lipsey's very significant, not just in the value of a gun, but the unique models we have available today because of them. Bravo Lipsey.

Some Lipsey special orders may have a high value due the low number made & Ruger not recognizing or having the ability at the time to double or quadruple the number of units made.

If Ruger doesn't have their ear to wall at Lipsey's they should, maybe even hiring Lipsey's as marketing consultants. They are that much of a force in the market IMO.