New old guy with question about gun weight

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Govt 380

Bearcat
New member from eastern PA, old guy, first post. Sold Mark ii and HS Victor years ago after not using them for years. Decided to take up hobby again. Purchased Mark ii competition with very light trigger job & fiber optic front. BUT, lost a lot of strength in ensuing years...gun too heavy for me, but a tack driver for sure. Think I need the 35ounce instead of 45 ounce gun. Thinking of 22/45? Thoughts from fellow seniors appreciated. Earlier post this accidentally as reply, trying again :)

You didn't indicate if you were looking for a new or a used pistol. You also didn't indicate what barrel length you were looking for. You did say you previously owned a MKII and you had (recently?) purchased a MKII Competition Target Model which has a 6 7/8" barrel. Have you considered a MKIV pistol with the aluminum frame? The 75th anniversary model has target sights and a 6 7/8" barrel and weighs in a 32.8 ounces according to Ruger's web site. You can find these at a street price under $500 if you look around.

gunzo

Hunter
Welcome & sounds like you're on the right track. But I'd like to suggest visiting some of the larger gunshops in your area & try a few different models & see how the feel.
Weight is one thing, balance is another. A long heavy barrel might stress the wrist & make the whole gun feel heavy or uncomfortable, whereas a not so long barrel, even on a steel frame might/will feel a lot different.

I like lighter guns, but if one gets too lite it can be hard for me to shoot well. I thing it was Skeeter Skelton that said he really wanted to spend a lot of time with a Smith J frame kit gun in 22, as the carried so nice. But he never shot it as well as the heavier K-22 & went back to it.

Part of the fun is the trying.

Govt 380

Bearcat
Appreciate all the replies! I honestly purchased the Competition because of the aesthetics- slab side seems so much more classic than the usual Ruger tube...Is that blasphemy on this forum? So again, being superficial, now leaning toward Flash Gordon ray gun 22/45. Not a fan of the rails, so only the Lite version w/fiber optic model, as Johnnu2 posts, appeals to me looks wise. Again, thanks for replies.

Aqualung

Blackhawk
I have a stainless Mk III Target model with the bull barrel...if you want light, stay away from that model!

I'm used to big, heavy handguns, but was absolutely amazed at how heavy that pistol is.

Aqualung

I am in a similar place- after disc/shoulder injuries and nerve damage I just can't hold a heavy revolver steady for long enough to get off a clean shot. I have a 22/45 and it is about 34.5oz. About 40-45 is tops for me. I have a little Bearcat that is a joy to shoot, likewise I recently picked up a flattop NM .44 SPCL Blackhawk with a 4 5/8" barrel. I'm putting an aluminum grip frame on it for a projected 40oz unloaded. Perfect.

Anyways- the 22/45 feels great in hand and shoots great for my physical condition. I will probably get a 22/45 Lite at some point and that will more than likely become my favorite.

I have found that my accuracy suffers when the gun is too heavy to hold comfortably. I do much better with that flattop .44SPCL than I do with my 7 1/2" Super Blackhawk Bisley with a brass grip frame loaded with the same SPCL ammo. The Super wins on a rest, so I know it's me.

Last edited:
I have a 22/45 LITE with a Tandom Kross (spelling?) trigger kit. Pretty awesome trigger and very lite gun overall.

I put a red dot on it and it's not a tack drive the other Mark pistols are, but still very fun and accurate.

KIR

Sparks, NV
Welcome from Sparks, NV. I, too had the same problem when I got around to purchasing a .45 which I carried during the early 60's. However, when I went to my LGS, I found it to be too heavy. I had read about the Ruger P345 and found it to be more manageable. I also started purchasing various firearms in different calibers. One that highly appealed to me was the Browning Hi-Power in 9 mm, I know, I know, some might call it blasphemous, but it worked for me. I was lucky enough to get a MK III shortly before they were discontinued. I liked it so much, I came across a used one, albeit a 'C' model. Then most recently, came across a new, from Israel, a Masada 9 mm what holds 17+1. Couldn't ask for more. The Masada is small and light, accurate and from what I have read, reliable. Being older, one might have to change what one carries when they were younger. Whatever you decide! It's your choice and Good Luck to you and Good Shootin'
Forgot to mention: Got my Masada for less then $500 out the door.

Last edited:
Glocks are ugly! 🤣

But- I have always had an embarrassing desire for the 22/45 Lite StormTrooper…

IMG_9163.jpeg

Latest posts