Quick Ruger Gen 2 question

Help Support Ruger Forum:

WayneTX

Bearcat
Im interested in buying a Gen 2 Predator ... my questions ...

1) Does the rifle come with a Thread Cap protector? I dont wish to use the included muzzle brake and may want to add a silencer later. Do I have to buy the thread cap protector or is one included?

2) Bolt handle knob ... can it be changed out? What is the thread pattern on the bolt knob?

Thanks very much
Wayne

WayneTX

Bearcat
I printed the spec sheet .... I saw the barrel thread pattern was 5/8-24 but I dont see if it includes the thread cap.
  • Thread Pattern 5/8"-24

NikA

Buckeye
1) Almost certainly not, since the brake is not intended to be removed in normal service. Some threads on here about how to remove Ruger brakes indicate it might be very tight. Ruger may provide one on request, probably won't be color matched no matter where you get it.
2) Yes, replaceable. Don't know thread spec, but Sharps Bros do: https://sharpsbros.com/ruger-american-gen-ii-bolt-knob/
Probably other options available, this was just the first that came up.

WayneTX

Bearcat
FYI ... this is the response I received from Ruger. Not sure why they mentioned Cerakote, I never asked about that. Just wanted to show the good CS from Ruger. Thanks for everyone's responses on this forum.

Thank you for contacting Ruger Customer Service.
Your Customer Service Issue # is 10455853

Hello Wayne,

The Gen II models does not come with a cerakoted thread protector. Ruger does not offer a cerakoted thread protector. Customer service offers a thread protector in black. The thread pattern for the muzzle is 1/2"-28. The bolt knob threads are 5/16"-24.

Thank you for your interest in Ruger.

Ruger Customer Service

WayneTX

Bearcat
Kind of funny though, my 338 RCM Guide gun came with a brake installed and with a thread protector. Same with my 308 Scout rifle, it also included both.
Thats what led to my original question ... seems Ruger stopped the practice of including a thread protector

Latest posts