Randall Astro

Help Support Ruger Forum:

eveled

Hawkeye
I didn't want to dig up the old thread Kevin posted in. I wanted to comment on Kevins knife and show mine.

The Astro deserves its own thread. Designed by Astronaut Gordon Cooper and Bo Randall, they were actually taken into space. One was lost at sea and recovered in the space capsule 40 years later!

Last edited:

eveled

Hawkeye
Model 17 Astro. I ordered this knife back in April of 2017. I remember we were on our way to Port Aransas, TX and we spent the night in some dumpy hotel as we didn't get off early in the morning and drive straight down.

I just got it last month and have been meaning to post some pictures.

Apparerntly the story goes, this knife was used...well, here is an excerpt from their website:

It's incredibly nice, but my only real issue is the screws on the handle don't line up. I'm not sure if that is hard to do, but since they are removable, they should line up in my opinion. Otherwise, I really, really like this knife.

Stainless blade, and they state on their website, the only option you can choose is to have your name etched into the blade. I didn't.

View attachment 8484

View attachment 8485

View attachment 8486

The Astro is a really neat knife. As stated no option are available ( other than engraving your name) It is however the only Randall Made Knife with a stainless guard. Which is really cool.

I bought one used on EBay. It carries really well, and the handle being small doesn't get in the way.

My screws are not lined up either, also I took them off, and had a heck of a time getting them back on. You can tell it is not a production knife.

IMG_2967.jpeg

Then a few years later I "won" the opportunity to buy the anniversary knife it is also an Astro.
IMG_3594.jpeg
IMG_3602.jpeg
IMG_3596.jpeg

@Kevin what made you choose the Astro? It is not a knife that gets ordered a lot.

Last edited:

RC44Mag

Buckeye
While not my cup of tea for a Randall but I respect the efforts by two American icons to design, build and use it, of course not forgetting the man who took it to space. Fantastic story

@eveled :
Thanks for posting pictures of your Astro. I like the scales on the second knife. I'm guess those didn't come from the Randall factory?

I'm not sure why I bought mine. I think at the time I ordered it I just wanted something different. Wait, actually it was that but also the historical story behind the knife as well.

But I didn't know they aren't that common. I also didn't know one was lost at sea and recovered 40 years later. Pretty interesting.

eveled

Hawkeye
Thanks for the reply. The Astro has a great story for sure. I think you chose wisely.

Good point @sharpblade7777 it is my only Randall that is stored in its sheath. I would order stainless steel guards on every knife if it was an option.

Gordon Cooper was the astronaut who logged so much flight time orbiting the earth. That he was able to catalog and map 100's of ship wrecks. He left his charts to a treasure hunter and there was a show about it. It was called Cooper's Treasure.

If you've seen the movie "The Right Stuff" Dennis Quaid played Gordon Cooper.

@Kevin The second knife with flag scales came from the factory that way. It is the Randall 75th Anniversary knife. Only 200 made. I had to enter a lottery and was one of the lucky ones drawn.

Last edited: