Tennessee VW plant goes union

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Better buy your new VW before the prices go up. :rolleyes:

gnappi

Blackhawk
I remember when the DOW was ~$8,000 we had "full employment" and just about everyone could buy a home. Now starter home prices are $300,000-$400,000, CEO's (even those of NPOs) are multi millionaires and the Dow is at $37,000+

I've been a member of a few unions (teamsters, Postal workers, and American Maritime Officers) and they like all unions had their much needed place, that is until their needs became exorbitant which drove manufacturing to Japan, later on other Asian countries (Taiwan, HK, China etc.) then came union busting, and adding more right to work states.

Nowadays, even low wage employees have become enemies of sorts and automated checkout counters, speed pass type toll collection, ROBO phone assistance, self ordering at drive through fast food joints, and no service gas stations all became accepted by the masses forgetting that people used to do these jobs.

I've been told nobody WANTS these jobs, I'm just not ready to believe this, it's just corporate greed nothing else. Where does all of this end?

gunzo

Hunter
The average union employee doesn't appear capable, or hasn't bothered to put a pencil to paper & figure the cost of dues plus lost income while on strike, to the gains, if any, under a new settlement.
Not to mention, some companies that just say to heck with all this, close the doors & move to another state. Have seen that happen multiple times. Ya think Remarms left NY just over the constraints & cost of doing business with the state? Getting shed of the union, if they did, was likely a big motivator.

redhawker

Buckeye
How many houses could you buy at a 15 dollar hour non union job at Mc Donald's. Not everyone has a masters degree or a government pension.
Since we're talking about Tennessee here it takes an income of not quite $76k to afford an average home in TN... https://finance.yahoo.com/news/salary-afford-average-home-state-130009108.html ...Two people making $15 an hour in TN would have an income of just over $62k. If they wanted to do a condo they might be able to on $62k. If one was making $20 an hour and the other $15 they'd be close at almost $73k. And that's an "average" home. There are always some that are a little smaller or are cheaper for various reasons. Now if you're talking about someplace like Commiefornia, forget it without two six-figure incomes.

contender

Ruger Guru
Minimum wage jobs are just that,, a minimum to get a person STARTED in the work force. Places like McDonalds USED to be considered an entry level job for mostly teenagers & others to learn about working, and were generally part time.

But ANY job,, if you do not have any skills,, you have to learn HOW to work for someone else, WHAT the job is,, and ADJUST to the different life.
After hiring,, IF a person WORKED hard,, APPLIED themselves,, learned whatever the trade was,, didn't lay out or were late etc,, they would get rewarded with a pay raise.

The key here is if you want more money, WORK for it, and show the company or whomever you are WORTH more money.

In 1982, I was struggling to raise a family, and was GLAD to get a job making $3.50 an hour. It was working in a plant, in a section known as the "grease pit" lapping ceramic parts. I was hired as a "temporary" employee,, as that is how this company hired everybody. They required us to work 12 hour shifts for 5 days a week, and 7 hrs on Saturday. I was told that if I was a "good" employee,, that after 3 months, at my review,, it was possible that I'd be hired as a full time employee, with insurance & benefits, and a potential raise of .50 cents an hour. After 3 months,, that's exactly what happened.
BUT,,,,,, I was also told in my review,, that I was NOT allowed to discuss all this with other employees. Why? Because many employees who were there were still "temporary" even though they had been there well over 1-2 years. I was also given a job movement into a better position.
At my next 3 month review,, I was given another raise. And another raise at my one year mark.
Because I worked hard, & EARNED it.

My wife worked,, and I worked.

She was making similar money, but I don't recall how much.

We managed to not only make a living, but we were also able to put aside money towards getting a better place to live.

Now,, my (then) wife & I didn't last as a couple. But now,, due to hard work, and sacrifices,, I now have my own home, and other things. Now,, Miss Penny & I both enjoy our lives because we WORKED for it.

Entry level jobs are just that, a way to learn & earn if you are willing. Minimum wage is for that purpose. It's NOT designed to be a complete living wage for someone. It's a base to start & a way to EARN more money.

I FULLY agree that when unions were first created,, they had a good purpose, and did a LOT of good in making the workplace better for everyone.
As a result of many of the union demands,, we have labor laws to protect children, minimum wages, better work environments, etc.

But the difference in the early years of unions & now,, ARE these laws.

Sadly,, now,, unions are more "political" and have grown so large that they have influence upon politicians due to lobbying. That was my point in my earlier post. You pay union dues to get them to force companies to pay more money for whatever jobs they have, and the companies have to follow the union rules or not have employees. And the companies just raise the prices upon their products to pay these expenses. But everybody has to pay this inflated amount for goods. These expenses are felt the hardest upon the LOWER INCOME people. From minimum wage earners to others who may lack the education or skills to do much better.
A good example is the cost of a new vehicle. And unless I'm mistaken the UAW union is the largest union in the country. And to see a new truck selling for over $75,000.00 is obscene. My first home didn't cost anywhere near that. Heck,, in 2021 I bought a new truck, and it's not a fancy one,, and it was $40,000.00. My first home didn't cost me that much.

Unions used to be a good thing & quite necessary. But in my PERSONAL opinion, (and I know many of the fine members here are union or former union, as well as good friends of mine around here,) aren't necessary anymore. There are laws to protect workers. And if a person wants better wages & benefits,, then it's simple,, (at least to me,) Work hard & earn it.

We good folks here are gun owners. And the politicians look at our biggest lobbying group & biggest fighter for freedom, the NRA as a big gorilla in the room when it comes to laws about guns. And now,, we have unions who are also a big gorilla in the room as lobbyists for whatever they desire.
But the big difference in the NRA & unions,, is the NRA fights for the Constitutional right,, the 2nd Amendment, which affects our freedom, while a union such as the UAW,, fights for a specific group, all while knowing all of us pay for their demands.

Forcing their will upon all.

Sound familiar?

Minimum wage jobs were never seen as lifelong positions in the past. They were for youth and others to get a start in the working world and then to move on to something more substantial. The push for higher and higher minimum wage always seemed to use some single mother with five kids as the poster child for the need to make minimum wage a "living wage". Any real economist will tell you that minimum wage laws are counterproductive. If the wage to be paid by law is more that the value produced by the worker, then the employer has the justification for automating or otherwise eliminating the job in question. This $20 an hour minimum wage is already pushing the fast food industry to increase the degree of automation, and thus eliminating more and more jobs that could have served as entries into adult working environments. High minimum wage laws are only to appease the economically ignorant and make politicians pretend that they can increase wealth by passing a law.

And those that strike or achieve a higher wage through legislation will find their gains to be temporary as the higher costs
get passed on and the rest of the economy "catches up". After adjustments everybody is basically right where they started
relative to buying power.
Where unions have helped their members is if they've been able to consistently lead the wage increase spiral while not causing
the manufactures to offshore or pack up and move. Unions have shot themselves in the foot a few times....other times managed
to balance things and keep the members ahead of the economic adjustments.

About 6 months ago the UAW was on strike, the union employees at the PDC got huge increases after a couple of months on strike. Now, Stellantis is doing shipping direct on most back orders bypassing the warehouse system, couple that with the drastic slowdown in the industry and you guessed it...layoffs...about 30% of the union employees at my PDC have been furloughed with no real plan to bring them back as a new plan of attack is being put in place utilizing cross dock shipping and non union employees.

About 6 months ago the UAW was on strike, the union employees at the PDC got huge increases after a couple of months on strike. Now, Stellantis is doing shipping direct on most back orders bypassing the warehouse system, couple that with the drastic slowdown in the industry and you guessed it...layoffs...about 30% of the union employees at my PDC have been furloughed with no real plan to bring them back as a new plan of attack is being put in place utilizing cross dock shipping and non union employees.
Sounds like they may have shot off a toe or two with their deal.

freakindawgen

Single-Sixer
I've been in 2 unions. IAW and Teamsters. Both were aviation jobs, the first was for 17 years till I got fired for someone else. I presented evidence at arbitration and union sat on their hands and let me go. Second was short term but rest of guys had been there for 25-45 years. The union contract expired and while working on it, company sold to a holding company and fired everyone. Union sat on their hands. They did get it worked out to recieve their pensions.

The union president is now bragging about it.

After celebrating his union's historic victory at a Volkswagen plant in Tennessee, Shawn Fain, president of the United Auto Workers, told the Guardian that he is confident of more unionization wins at auto plants across the US, saying: "The workers at VW are the first domino to fall.

"They have shown it is possible," Fain added in an interview on Sunday evening. "I expect more of the same to come. Workers are fed up."

Dan in MI

Staff member
Average where????

Detroit area and some suburbs.

Capturedet.JPG

Last edited:

gunzo

Hunter
I know prices have gone way up, but $495K for "average" still seems on the high end. Wondering what was defined as average & were there many many states or areas of the country included in those numbers ???

But none the less,,,,,,,,,, it can't be done with a teenager job, & on the other end it doesn't require a Union job to be able to purchase an average home.

Latest posts