The Dying 44?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

In the latest Handloader magazine (I will try to find a link) Venturino declares the 44 revolver is dying.

"There will never be a great resurgence of 44 popularity. As old timers such as myself pass on, the younger generations will focus on autoloaders - mostly black ones. So yes, I think the great 44s of America are dying."

He says basically that he's hung his 44s up and they probably will never be shot again because he won't shoot them for pleasure. He says he does like the 44 special but he doesn't think it's any more accurate than the 45 Colt.

Always knew there was something about him I didn't like 😐

41Dude

Single-Sixer
I enjoy going shooting with my adult grandkids and their friends. They bring along a variety of Glock, FN and Rugers. Much fun.
But.
When I pull out the Super Blackhawk they put down the semis until the .44 is out of ammo.
Big smiles all the way around 😄
Unfortunately I find myself now hankering for a 10mm FN 😆 lol

The niche may be getting a little smaller, but it's still there. ;)

Black plastic is the current "hot setup" but it, too, will pass.

Wonder what the next "thing" will be. :unsure:

The niche will expand to gigantic proportions, if folks keep voting for 'The Gun Ban Party'. At any given point in time, we're just an election away from a national magazine capacity limit, and it won't necessarily be 10 rounds next time. How about 8 rounds (like New York), or 6 rounds? The big advantage the black plastic guns have over revolvers is number of rounds on tap, and if 'The Gun Ban Party' has its way, we'll all be saying 'goodbye' to anything they call "high-capacity" or "military style".

It happened when Clinton was in the White House, and it can happen again, if folks keep voting for Clinton's party.

Last edited:
I think Mike V. has a point. The 44 Mag is the first cartridge that I ever reloaded for and the most prevalent caliber in my collection but I certainly don't shoot the big 44 as much as I used to. I'm finding an accurate 38 special or 9mm much more pleasant to shoot and practice with. I belong to three gun clubs and can't remember the last time I met anyone shooting a 44 Mag revolver. After my close encounter with moose on my annual bird hunt last year I'm considering toting my S&W Mountain Gun or a short barrel Super Blackhawk this year but a Colt Delta Elite carries much easier and shoots as well. Decisions, decisions.

Like most things it has been eclipsed by bigger, better rounds. Shure it's just as effective as it has ever been but like the Flathead Ford has been left behind by newer more efficient rounds. It's heyday passed when it ceased being "The Most Powerful Handgun in the World". When I got my Dan Wesson in the Early 80's I could do things I couldn't do with almost anything else. If I was going to do something similar today I'd be using a 460 S&W.

contender

Ruger Guru
First off,, gun writers write stuff to get responses from readers. It's part of what they do.

But often,, they inject their personal attitudes into a subject,, and let their ego's rule. A few feel THEY are the "top authority" on a subject,, and people will follow.
Maybe he's gotten too old or feeble to handle a heavier gun or a harder kicking one.
Maybe his ego is such he thinks he's capable of predicting the future.

Or,, maybe he's just a blow-hard that just wants to hear himself spread whatever.

Reminds me of a window sticker I saw a while back. It said;

"A .45 acp is a .9mm for grown-ups!"

First off,, gun writers write stuff to get responses from readers. It's part of what they do.

But often,, they inject their personal attitudes into a subject,, and let their ego's rule. A few feel THEY are the "top authority" on a subject,, and people will follow.
Maybe he's gotten too old or feeble to handle a heavier gun or a harder kicking one.

Or,, maybe he's just a blow-hard that just wants to hear himself spread whatever.

Probably a little bit of all of those.
Most of these writers feel like they know more about the subject than the rest of us. Sometimes they do, sometimes they don't.
In this case I think he is just dead wrong.
The revolver, for one thing, ain't dead, or even close. The big bore revolver will be here long after the black things are gone. Sitting next to it will be a 1911.

contender

Ruger Guru
"The big bore revolver will be here long after the black things are gone."

One of the biggest reasons for this will be "recoil junkies!"

Some people feel they NEED heavy recoiling guns for their purposes. And some just enjoy trying to master them. As we age,, and our bodies tell us we are not "Twenty-something, 10 ft tall & bulletproof" we all find out that heavy recoil isn't as much fun anymore.
I can still easily handle hard kickers. But I learned long ago,, well before necessary,, that accuracy trumps power. If you don't hit the target,, all the power in the world is useless. And I've found that many of the big kickers are fun with medium loads AND are quite accurate.

BuckRimfire

Bearcat
I belong to three gun clubs and can't remember the last time I met anyone shooting a 44 Mag revolver.
That makes me sad. It's a rare trip to the range that I don't take my Redhawk along and put at least a few .429 holes in paper. I recently got bigger rosewood grips from Eagle, which makes it just a little more comfortable, but the originals worked so well for me that even max loads were not punishing, although I'll admit that a lot of my reloads are 8/10 or 9/10, and some are more like .44 Russian. Which reminds me that I've been neglecting reloading and need to get to seating some primers.

Frankly, my 10 mms were aggravating my flinch way more than my Redhawk ever has, so I sold them at consignment. REALLY regret selling the cheaper one since I got so little for it, and my state has since enacted a stupid magazine limit which I was too dumb to anticipate, but I go out where large animal encounters* are possible so rarely that I figured the GP100 as a second-best option was good enough...

*Land animals, that is. I get out pretty often where sea lion or orca encounters are likely, but I'm not going to wear a pistol in a chest holster while in my sea kayak!

.... If you don't hit the target,, all the power in the world is useless. And I've found that many of the big kickers are fun with medium loads AND are quite accurate.

Heck, they're fun with LIGHT loads - and you can still stuff some real horsepower in the cylinder, anytime you think you might want it or need it!
:)

41Dude

Single-Sixer

I will try to find the picture I took of it. Rear window of a pickup had a big decal.

.45acp because shooting twice is silly.

41Dude

Single-Sixer
I will try to find the picture I took of it. Rear window of a pickup had a big decal.

.45acp because shooting twice is silly.
Not my picture. But this is what it looked like.

61xADWRPbaL._AC_UF894,1000_QL80_.jpg

4896worker

Bearcat
I didn't think I was old but I can remember in the 1980's when the "wonder 9's " came out the .38 special was dead then a few years later guns and ammo magazine asked if the 9mm was going away because of the new .40 S&W.
Then 10 mm was out . I think writers need something to wright about .
Also when have you seen a gun writer ever say a negative thing about any new caliber or firearm that they review.

41Dude

Single-Sixer
I didn't think I was old but I can remember in the 1980's when the "wonder 9's " came out the .38 special was dead then a few years later guns and ammo magazine asked if the 9mm was going away because of the new .40 S&W.
Then 10 mm was out . I think writers need something to wright about .
Also when have you seen a gun writer ever say a negative thing about any new caliber or firearm that they review.
My first thought was never.

Jack Ryan

Blackhawk
I enjoy going shooting with my adult grandkids and their friends. They bring along a variety of Glock, FN and Rugers. Much fun.
But.
When I pull out the Super Blackhawk they put down the semis until the .44 is out of ammo.
Big smiles all the way around 😄
Unfortunately I find myself now hankering for a 10mm FN 😆 lol
I've gave in to that urge, got one. I'd gently suggest not. Get a 45. FNX or 545, I think long term you would be much happier. There are a lot more holster options for the FNX and you can skip all that moon bulges, unsupported chamber nonsense and just enjoy shooting it.

Latest posts