VERY EARLY RUGER SINGLE SIX FLAT GATE #93

Help Support Ruger Forum:

victorio1sw

Bearcat
Yes, I got my letter right at 2 weeks after mailing in the request. Since this thread has gotten pretty long, here it is again.

Attachments

• Letter-RugerSingleSix#93-Snippet.jpg
    Letter-RugerSingleSix#93-Snippet.jpg
    142.2 KB · Views: 20

victorio1sw

Bearcat
@victorio1sw, I suspect that if you wrote back to Ruger with the info from the Dougan book showing it was assembled on Dec 15, they would be willing to re-do your letter with that first-day date. They are aware that John was given unprecedented access to the factory records, so they trust the data in his book.
I noticed that the Ruger letter only gave the date as Dec 1953. Maybe that was to cover both the assembly and shipping dates? It would have been better to have both dates, since this was a 1st day manufactured gun.

Star43

Blackhawk
I noticed that the Ruger letter only gave the date as Dec 1953. Maybe that was to cover both the assembly and shipping dates? It would have been better to have both dates, since this was a 1st day manufactured gun.
I agree, it would have nice to have BOTH dates down, as that what makes that gun special in my opinion, as everything was done in Dec. '53, but again both dates listed would have been sweet!

hittman

Staff member
Y'all gotta remember not only was this a first year gun, the whole dang company was only 3 or 4 years old at this time.
Detailed LONG TERM record keeping surely wasn't a thought.

Considering that, seems pretty thorough to me. Make, model, caliber, date made ( minus the actual DAY I know ), who it was shipped to and that month and year as well,

All from 71 years ago.

Star43

Blackhawk
Hittman, why did you have to go and say: "71 years ago". Are you trying to make us feel old? Yes, I agree and understand what you are saying but I also agree that it sure would have been nice if both dates were mentioned. Hey, it is what it is and it was made in Dec '53, so it IS special already, but I see the OP's point as that would have made it real special !! Don't worry OP, you still got a special gun there with a Gold Seal. 👍

hittman

Staff member
Guess I'm lost on your "both dates" concern. :unsure:

"Produced in December 1953"
"Shipped to ….. in December 1953" both appear in the letter.

Star43

Blackhawk
I think he will chime in, but he says his gun was actually a First day of manufacturing gun, as according to the book, but was not shipped out till Dec. 31, 1953.......That's why he wanted to see the first day manufacture date on the letter...