Walter who????

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
Back around the turn of the century, early 1800s, a lady was having a dress fitted by her dressmaker. The hem was temporarily pinned up for the fitting. As the dressmaker made adjustments, one of the pins stuck milady causing a minor wound. The fitting went on, and the dress was made. Unfortunately, the dress became her burial shroud. The pin stick wound became infected, blood poisoning set in and the lady died.

An inventor took note of the incident, and devised a pin with a spring loop at one end, and a clasp at the other, the clasp covering the pointed end. Thus around 1845 or so, Walter Hunt invented the safety pin. (Not the same as those found on hand grenades.)

Who was Walter Hunt? Walter Hunt also devised a rifle and ammunition that became the forerunner of the Volcanic repeating rifle and pistol, which Benjamin Tyler Henry perfected and Oliver Winchester promoted.

The Hunt Volition Repeater thus became the precursor of the lever action rifle we so cherish today.

Now you know.

Bob Wright

eveled

Hawkeye
It's amazing anyone lived to any age at all back then. Simple infections killed many. Get a nick while shaving, an ingrown toe nail, splinter, pin prick etc. All could be fatal.

That's what the reality will be in a true apocalyptic SHTF situation.

Now wait a minute.... "Back around the turn of the century"?

I don't mean to be the fact checker police... but....... there have been two more turns since the early 1800's.....

Just messing with ya.... good story even if it is sad... but lots of people died from things like this before sulffer and then penisylian ...

Didn't one of Teddy Rosevelt's sons die from a infected blister from playing tennis?

Was he from Texas?
He probably lied and told everyone he was.

Yep from the Volcanic to this. Winchester did not want his name on the new rifle incase it was a failure. SOOOOOOOOOO Henry did the honors.
100711712_13414_916ACB26209FEFAD.JPG

1329775624.jpg

The progression 44 Henry, 1866 44 rimfire Winchester with Kings Improvements, and the Winchester 1873 44WCF/Winchester Central Fire "The Gun That Won The West" The famous Winchester 30-30 with smokeless powder.
1329775625.jpg

Modern 1866 in 44-40
DSCN0122_zps2e791802.jpg

tracker 6

Bearcat
T.R. had 4 sons.One died inWW1kia,, 2died WW2Heart Attack and suicide,The other lived to ripe old age.

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
It's amazing anyone lived to any age at all back then. Simple infections killed many. Get a nick while shaving, an ingrown toe nail, splinter, pin prick etc. All could be fatal.

That's what the reality will be in a true apocalyptic SHTF situation.

My mother sat with a woman dying of tetanus (lockjaw) who went into convulsions just as she died. The cause of death was infection of a great toe. The story was that she had a pin prick wound, and went outside to get the mail and got the morning dew in the wound. As she was dying, she had to be chained to her bed, her convulsions were so violent.

Bob Wright

Now wait a minute.... "Back around the turn of the century"?

I don't mean to be the fact checker police... but....... there have been two more turns since the early 1800's.....

Just messing with ya.... good story even if it is sad... but lots of people died from things like this before sulffer and then penisylian ...

Didn't one of Teddy Rosevelt's sons die from a infected blister from playing tennis?
That would be Calvin Coolidges son, Calvin Jr!

Back around the turn of the century, early 1800s, a lady was having a dress fitted by her dressmaker. The hem was temporarily pinned up for the fitting. As the dressmaker made adjustments, one of the pins stuck milady causing a minor wound. The fitting went on, and the dress was made. Unfortunately, the dress became her burial shroud. The pin stick wound became infected, blood poisoning set in and the lady died.

An inventor took note of the incident, and devised a pin with a spring loop at one end, and a clasp at the other, the clasp covering the pointed end. Thus around 1845 or so, Walter Hunt invented the safety pin. (Not the same as those found on hand grenades.)

Who was Walter Hunt? Walter Hunt also devised a rifle and ammunition that became the forerunner of the Volcanic repeating rifle and pistol, which Benjamin Tyler Henry perfected and Oliver Winchester promoted.

The Hunt Volition Repeater thus became the precursor of the lever action rifle we so cherish today.

Now you know.

Bob Wright
Few Americans recognize the name Walter Hunt. Yet Hunt was an authentic genius.
Among his many inventions are the fountain pen, rifle, sewing machine, paper collar burglar and fire alarms, yet he died in 1796 unknown and in poverty. His sewing machine, 1834, was never promoted by Hunt because he feared it would put thousands of seamstresses out of work. Although Hunt invented the rifle, it carries the name of the man who marketed it, Winchester. Hunt had a tragic flaw. He lacked the courage of his convictions-- he lacked faith in himself and his ideas-- or so I have read.
Ned

A long time ago as a college freshman I worked as a part-time clerk in a big hospital. A young girl of 17 was admitted with a high fever that the docs could not seem to get under control. Seems she had cut herself on some barbed wire and her Mom had given her a $10 bill to go into town to see the doctor and to get a tetanus shot (this was in 1961). Instead she pocketed the money and lied to her Mom, so the doctors believed she had gotten the tetanus shot and were looking for other causes of the high fever. Her fever went up to 107 and she stopped breathing, so they found an old iron lung machine from the polio days and put her in it but she died a few minutes later. I was 18 at the time and it was first time that I truly recognized my own mortality, in seeing someone my age die like that.

tbobcar

Single-Sixer

Now you know.

Bob Wright
That's interesting information, I'd have to say the safety pin is the most utilitarian construct. Afterall,
I never saw a man firing a machine gun with his pants falling down.

tbobcar

Single-Sixer
A long time ago as a college freshman I worked as a part-time clerk in a big hospital. A young girl of 17 was admitted with a high fever that the docs could not seem to get under control. Seems she had cut herself on some barbed wire and her Mom had given her a $10 bill to go into town to see the doctor and to get a tetanus shot (this was in 1961). Instead she pocketed the money and lied to her Mom, so the doctors believed she had gotten the tetanus shot and were looking for other causes of the high fever. Her fever went up to 107 and she stopped breathing, so they found an old iron lung machine from the polio days and put her in it but she died a few minutes later. I was 18 at the time and it was first time that I truly recognized my own mortality, in seeing someone my age die like that.
Hmmm, that is quite a sad story.
Equally sad is seeing young men cut down in combat.

Latest posts