Well, it finally happened

Help Support Ruger Forum:

41Dude

Single-Sixer
Oh heck, Newsmax wow. I wish I had learned Spanish years ago. But now I am just too old
and cranky (lazy) to bother.

I was walking out of a sporting goods store the other day and saw a fishing regulations book so i picked it up without looking at it until later that night WHAT THE HECK is this whole thing in Spanish im going to have to find a game warden to translate it for me

GRAMPS

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
I was in Baton Rouge one time on a business trip. In the hotel I checked the 'phone book and picked a restaurant that had the most Cajun sounding name.

Turned out to be owned and operated by Viet Namese.

Bob Wright

Our Founding Fathers probably never even thought that it would be a good idea to put English as the official language of the new United States as an article in the Constitution. How much better off we would be had that been the case. My grandparents came here from Eastern Europe and didn't speak a word of English. But they knew that it was either learn basic English or starve. Their kids, including both of my parents, were in public schools where nothing but English was spoken and they learned it pretty quickly, and that actually helped my grandparents. Now we have brain damaged "progressives" running the schools who think it just so unfair to make those poor Somali immigrants, or Chinese or whatever learn English and acclimate to America but demand that the taxpayers support teaching those kids in the native language of their parents. I wonder how much it costs the taxpayers in places like L.A. where kids are likely taught in 132 different languages, and by delaying their need to learn English, how much it handicaps those kids in future schooling and employment.

KIR

Sparks, NV
WALK IN THE PARK
Mama Cat was walking her kittens across the park when all of a sudden a BIG DOG jumped out from behind a tree, bared his teeth and went, "Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!"
The kittens were scared and theirbodies trembled, too scared and unknowing what to do, but Mama Cat stood her ground, looked at the BIG DOG straight in the eye and from deep in her throat came, "GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!" The dog ran away.
Mama Cat then turned to her kittens and waving a claw up and down at them said, "NOW do you see the advantage of a second language?"

Knowledge is power! Why would one not want to get smart?

caryc

Hawkeye
Sure, a second language is good but one must learn the spoken language of the country you are in. My Grandfather came over here from Poland with about 12 bucks in his pocket. He learned the English language right away. He knew the advantage of being an American. When he died, he had a safe full of money that he had been saving for so long that some of it was even in gold notes. He also had property worth about $800,000. The property he owned was a big two story brick building with a saloon on the bottom floor. He started out with a small candy store and worked his way up. My uncle sold just the liquor license for $200,000.

contender

Ruger Guru
"Knowledge is power! Why would one not want to get smart?"

I fully agree.
It's STUPID to move to a different country & NOT learn the native language. (And before anything is said about Native Americans,,, they had different languages. But once the folks from Europe came here, colonized, and took over,, the main language has been English. And actually several Native American languages have almost been wiped out.)

Move here now,, and you should do as it's been done for a few centuries,, learn, speak & use English.

I once had a semi-drunk guy of some mexican or spanish descent, rattle off at me in spanish. And he got angry that I could not understand him. To the point I felt he might get violent. I calmly but FIRMY & in a loud enough voice that a few others could hear me; I said, "I speak English, I do not come from another country. And here we speak English. But I'll speak to you in a language even YOU can understand. Do you habla BANG-BANG?"
Amazingly he suddenly spoke english & backed away & mumbled an apology.

spud711

Bearcat
Nissan, is running a car commercial on TV and the whole commercial is in Spanish. I've seen it 3 times now.
I've seen several commercials in Spanish. They run from hair to the Seaside Resort in Oregon. We Anglos are in the minority. When I was a kid here in Idaho, I learned "Hay Field" Spanish.

spud711

Bearcat
Sure, a second language is good but one must learn the spoken language of the country you are in. My Grandfather came over here from Poland with about 12 bucks in his pocket. He learned the English language right away. He knew the advantage of being an American. When he died, he had a safe full of money that he had been saving for so long that some of it was even in gold notes. He also had property worth about $800,000. The property he owned was a big two story brick building with a saloon on the bottom floor. He started out with a small candy store and worked his way up. My uncle sold just the liquor license for $200,000.
Back in the day everyone respected "My Country, My Language". Sad, it's no longer true.

I was in Baton Rouge one time on a business trip. In the hotel I checked the 'phone book and picked a restaurant that had the most Cajun sounding name.

Turned out to be owned and operated by Viet Namese.

Bob Wright

Funny you should say that. The best seafood, crawfish and catfish restaurant in Shreveport is run and owned by Vietnamese that moved there from New Orleans after being displaced by Hurricane Katrina. And they were first and second generation. Darned good food.
But even here in central LA there are many mexican workers, and don't go to Walmart on their payday because the grocery section is just about wiped out. Even has a section with mexican made products

gnappi

Blackhawk
Yup, I went to Bank of America a few years ago and they had no deposit slips in the lobby. I asked the teller for one and I was handed one in Spanish, BOY did that frost my butt and I asked for one in English to which they answered there were NONE! Add to that a manager told me to just use the one in my hand and that tipped me over to pissedoffidness!

I told them to close all my accounts and I'll take them to a bank that doesn't insult me or my country and they somehow found a deposit slip in English.