What firearm have you owned the longest?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

41Dude

Single-Sixer
I do not mean oldest firearm.
I mean the oldest you have personally owned.
Here is mine. 40+ years of. 44 😊 😃 joy.
BBQRuger002.jpg

Mine would be the JC Higgins .22 single shot rifle my Dad bought me in the very early sixties.

I remember him buying it... He bought another one for $3.50 at the same second hand store. We got home and it would not work. Took it back and bought the one I still have. I think it was five-bucks. My Dad really thought he got the bait and switch.

This rifle lives in the farthest corner of a safe, and I don't see it often. My kids grew up shooting this rifle, but I've run out of kids to continue to learn on it, so it remains in darkness.

When I get a chance I will pull it out and snap a photo. It deserves it.

We moved to Arizona in 1977, In 1978 we were taking our kids camping but there were was a big huppla with a family that broke out of prison and was on the run killing campers for their food and supplies. So I bought a Marlin Glenfield 60. In those day you walked into Smitty's (like an early Walmart) plopped down your money and walked out with a gun. No paper work at all. We still have that rifle.

rem58sport

Bearcat
Mine would be the JC Higgins .22 single shot rifle my Dad bought me in the very early sixties.

I remember him buying it... He bought another one for $3.50 at the same second hand store. We got home and it would not work. Took it back and bought the one I still have. I think it was five-bucks. My Dad really thought he got the bait and switch.

Here is my mid '60"s Sears branded Marlin .22 single shot. I think I paid $10 for it and rode home with it across my handle bars over 60 years ago. Won't happen in So. Cal. today. It was another month of paper route money to buy the J.C. Higgins branded Weaver scope for $12.00.

Sears 103 2.jpg

Last edited:

wproct

Single-Sixer
Wow! This was a very interesting question, and it took a quite a bit of thought, and the answer is rather disappointing for me. First of all, I have been buying guns since around 1964. Unfortunately I have always been searching for that gun that I wanted the most, so it meant trading many many guns off, because I didn't have the cash for the next purchase so something got sold or traded to get it.

So, the gun that I have personally owned the longest would be a Volquartsen custom Ruger MKII Match Carry that I bought new in March of 2004. Now, I have a Winchester model 67 that belonged to my Grandpa which he bought around 1934 I think, but I inherited it in 1989, so I guess that makes it the oldest and the Volquartsen the second oldest. Anyway, I have owned many very nice guns in my lifetime. I just wish I hadn't traded many of them off. Oh well, life is an adventure and no one owns a gun forever ya know.

Cholo

Staff member
A '75 Ruger Super Single Six.

The government bought it for me. I was flat broke in college and the gov't sent a $150 stimulus check. Should I use it to pay off my mounting college debt? Naaa. I believe it was $90.25 and I bought a $10 Bucheimer holster, both of which I still have.

And that's how it all started LOL

Latest posts