Will Ruger jump on the 224 Valkyrie caliber

Help Support Ruger Forum:

rangerbob

Buckeye
I doubt if we'll see it in an AR-15 format, but I would not be surprised to see it in a M77, American, or Precision rifle. Hornady and Ruger go way back on partnerships and Hornady's planning on selling the ammo to somebody. I'm pretty sure you will not see it in a M70 Winchester, as they just found out about the 6.5 Creedmore. Bob! :wink:

eastbank

Single-Sixer
now what do I do with my SS laminated heavy barreled ruger 77/22ppc? eastbank.

rangerbob

Buckeye
As John Wayne would say," PARDON ME ALL TO HELL". It seems that Federal is the driving force behind the 224 Valkyrie, not Hornady, as I previously remarked. That being the case, I have no idea about rifle availability. I hope it's not like the 338 Federal, plenty of ammo and no guns or the 327 Federal lots of guns and no ammo. With all of the new announcements, my 66 year old brain gets confused sometimes. Midway has 4 loads listed including an American Eagle FMJ. Bob!! :?

deadduck357

Single-Sixer
They got into the 6.8 and those didn't do well, so who knows, probably not but it's an intriguing cartridge.

WoodsQuest

Bearcat
What's intriguing about the Valkyrie is the bullet weights federal has designed the cartridge around. It's obvious they're going for fast twist, VLD bullets. They market it as a 1300 yard supersonic "MSR 15" cartridge. I see this as a natural evolution of modern small arms.

The move away from traditional cup and core bullets to bonded and monolithic bullets, which are now offered in "economy" priced factory loadings that perform well, have redefined terminal performance. Bigger, heavier bullets aren't needed anymore. The Valkyrie Fusion load is pushing a 100gr .224 bullet with sectional density of .285. That will probably fare well in the deer stand with minimal recoil and laser flat trajectory. I think the .22 through .26 caliber bullets/cartridges will only rise in popularity.

22/45 Fan

Hunter
WoodsQuest said:
I think the .22 through .26 caliber bullets/cartridges will only rise in popularity.
+1 The shooting public is getting older and no longer wants to tolerate fierce recoil to "be a man" or to get excellent terminal ballistics. The huge improvements in bullet constriction make the non-magnum 7mm and below cartridges suitable for a great variety of hunting. A second factor is the wide acceptance of laser rangefinders which make "ultra flat trajectory" less of an issue since you no longer have to guess the range.

It's the same bullet technology that has sparked the resurgence in 9mm pistols for police use as modern bullets give up little to nothing to the .40 and .45 rounds.

mohavesam

Hawkeye
Don Lovel said:
Interesting ballistics in a standard AR platform friendly cartridge size. Promises to be more affordable.
90gr VLD bullet moving over 2500FPS would be pretty fun to shoot

No.

Ruger is only interested in high-sales numbers, fast sales to distributors and pre-paid orders, and very short (under ten minutes) assembly/test/ship times.

The future is somewhat predictable to those involved in US manufacturers' management systems.
It ain't Ruger anymore, it is quickly moving toward a generic machine-shop company with a Ruger sign out front, IMO. YMMV... but ask any employee. :(

gunzo

Hunter
In a AR 15 platform with the proper twist barrel, I can understand a gain or improvement. 8)

What could possibly be gained over current offerings by chambering it in a bolt gun? :?