Year of Manufacture?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Star43

Blackhawk
Nice gun, and better to have NO numbers marked on it, than the wrong ones, and only the original packaging ,with the cardboard shipping sleeve would have all the data ( info) so that not being there, you need the factory letter...again, a keeper for sure(y)(y)
In this case, No numbers means good numbers so to speak !! Yes, a keeper for sure !! 🙂👍

Star43

Blackhawk
Thank you all for your help! Feeling fortunate. I'll send for a letter.
I think that is a good idea. For only $10, you will get the official word on when that beautiful gun of yours was shipped out of the factory and where it went before it eventually became yours, and the letter even comes with a Gold Seal....🙂👍👍

Star43

Blackhawk
I think that is a good idea. For only $10, you will get the official word on when that beautiful gun of yours was shipped out of the factory and where it went before it eventually became yours, and the letter even comes with a Gold Seal....🙂👍👍
Well at least you will know where it originally was shipped too anyway........as far as how many guys had it before you, who knows and who cares, as it is Yours Now........Good luck with it.....🙂👍

contender

Ruger Guru
And in the letter,, you will get the actual model nomenclature, to verify what it is. Well worth it for a scarce gun. If it comes back as a RSS5W,,you will be very happy!

Star43

Blackhawk
EFL58, I just noticed you are from Mass....I was born and raised there, till I met my wife there in the early 80's. She was from California and was just there a short time, but she didn't like the cold. After we got engaged, she convinced me to move here. Women have a way of doing that. But I still root for my Boston Teams. One thing for sure is that MA and CA are very similar when it comes to gun laws.... Absolutely ridiculous!! Anyway good luck with that gun of yours, and Go Red Sox! 🙂

contender

Ruger Guru
It's always good to see real gun folks from the places that severely restrict freedoms come together here. :D

No offense meant,, but I always wondered if the folks who named Massachusetts, realized the spelling included a description of many politicians?

Star43

Blackhawk
Yes I do read into that and you are correct !! We always called it "Taxachusetts" amongst other things......When I first moved cross country, my Boston accent was pretty think, and people would ask where I was from. I would say "I was a Republican from Massachusetts. There were only 4 of us and I left, so now there are only 3"...

contender

Ruger Guru
I was in a gun/pawn shop a couple of weeks ago,, and as usual,, I was carrying. I often open carry when working,, so my gun was exposed. A guy was in there buying his first Kimber. He was very happy. Apparently,, he was originally from NY, and wasn't used to the differences in how it was to buy a handgun here vs. "up there." I told him that we were smarter than the people in NY. We understood freedom.

Star43

Blackhawk
I can understand how the NY guy was happy. When I first moved here to CA, it was much easier to buy a gun. In MA, you had to jump thru hoops to buy a gun or should say to have the State privilege to buy a gun back then......which sucks. In CA back then, I could just walk in, but a gun, and just show my ID. That was it. They would register it and you would have to come back for it. I think it was 15 days in the 80:s and then changed to 10 days in the mid 90's if I remember correctly. There was always what they called "the cooling off period" as they called it.....But you could buy a gun, and basically any gun that was out there. Then came the "lists" where only CA State "approved" guns could be bought. In other words the gun companies paid the extortion type money to the state to be able to sell that make and model and color for that matter. If a company didn't do that, it wasn't on the list that you could buy. Now also it is harder as more tests and verification is done. I was in a Bass Pro about a couple months ago and there was a small line for people just to buy ammo. Buying ammo is a time consuming process now that you have to be registered to buy ammo and you can only buy ammo for a gun you own...in other words if a friend wants 38 Spl as that's what he has and he asks me to buy some from the store....they won't sell it to me as they KNOW, I personally don't own a 38 and will not sell it to me.....totally disgusting. And you should see how long their computers take just to verify the guy who is trying to buy ammo, who is trying to use their system. The line moves Very Slow.

contender

Ruger Guru
I have heard all kinds of crazy stories about such crap some states have done to try & make it hard to own guns or get ammo or whatever.
Here in NC,, it's not gotten like that. In fact,, we actually got an old Jim Crow law shut down last year. It USED to be we had to have a "Pistol Purchasing Permit" issued by our home County sheriff to buy a handgun. (Not required for long guns.) Each County Sheriff could only charge $5 admin fee to process the paperwork. And a permit could be acquired well in advance of any purchase. A permit could be valid for (5) years,, and NOTHING on the permit said anything about whatever gun we might buy.
The whole thing was a way for the local Sheriff's to "deny" anybody they deemed "undesirable" from buying a handgun. (Read; black people.)
I used to go to my County Sheriff office & get 4-5 permits at a time,, and I was often given them for free. I'd keep a permit in my pocket just in case I found a gun somewhere and I wanted to buy it. Once we got our CCW legislation passed,, the CCW could be used in lieu of getting a permit.
Find a gun, fill out a 4473,, (add your CCW permit number in lieu of doing a ATF phone call,) and take the gun with you.

In 2023 the NC Rifle & Pistol Assoc. along with a few others got it before our NC House & all, and got the stupid Permit removed. Our liberal governor vetoed it,, but we had enough votes to over-ride his veto.

So,, while many places try & make exercising our Constitutional Rights hard, confusing, and restrictive as they can,, here, we are fighting back to STOP such crap.

Star43

Blackhawk
I have heard all kinds of crazy stories about such crap some states have done to try & make it hard to own guns or get ammo or whatever.
Here in NC,, it's not gotten like that. In fact,, we actually got an old Jim Crow law shut down last year. It USED to be we had to have a "Pistol Purchasing Permit" issued by our home County sheriff to buy a handgun. (Not required for long guns.) Each County Sheriff could only charge $5 admin fee to process the paperwork. And a permit could be acquired well in advance of any purchase. A permit could be valid for (5) years,, and NOTHING on the permit said anything about whatever gun we might buy.
The whole thing was a way for the local Sheriff's to "deny" anybody they deemed "undesirable" from buying a handgun. (Read; black people.)
I used to go to my County Sheriff office & get 4-5 permits at a time,, and I was often given them for free. I'd keep a permit in my pocket just in case I found a gun somewhere and I wanted to buy it. Once we got our CCW legislation passed,, the CCW could be used in lieu of getting a permit.
Find a gun, fill out a 4473,, (add your CCW permit number in lieu of doing a ATF phone call,) and take the gun with you.

In 2023 the NC Rifle & Pistol Assoc. along with a few others got it before our NC House & all, and got the stupid Permit removed. Our liberal governor vetoed it,, but we had enough votes to over-ride his veto.

So,, while many places try & make exercising our Constitutional Rights hard, confusing, and restrictive as they can,, here, we are fighting back to STOP such crap.
Don't you just love liberal governors ? We have a guy over here named Newsom, that the Demon Crats are gearing up for the next election after they run sleepy Joe one more time. Joe, who doesn't know what he had for lunch today.....Yes, IMO, CA is doing everything possible to run all gun shops out of business. They tell them what they can sell and mostly what they can't sell. It has to be on the "list" forto be legal to sell here. Companies for the most part do not even try to sell all their models here as they have to pay a large fee per model, per gun, even the color of the gun. A fee has to be paid to the State for each and every type model. To me it's extortion. I still think one can only buy a Glock Gen 3 here. That's it I believe. You can't buy a Gen 4 or Gen 5 here still to this day. Doesn't that make a lot of sense.....Heck I remember when I was visiting family in Mass, I went to a gun shop there and they had a display case marked:. " Legal Glocks ". They were Gen 2 Glocks..... that's it. Not even the Gen 3.....This was back in 2017 or 2018 I think. That's not really that long ago. I don't know about today, but I bet it's like similar to here ....Over here you have to pay fees and take stupid tests at a cost of course and you have to be "registered" to buy ammo and also pay a fee, and you can't buy ammo for your friend because if his caliber is different than yours, they know you don't have that gun/caliber registered so you can't do that. I have to find out from a friend's gun shop next week if their are any new rules and regulations to make our life more miserable. He made me laugh about a year ago when I be was there and he had a couple of Glock ad sheets on the Gen 5, and he says, they send me this stuff on the 5 and I can't even sell the 4...... Totally ridiculous.

contender

Ruger Guru
We could thread drift a whole lot more on this one subject easily.

But let's hope that the OP gets a good letter & discovers he has the rarer variation of his Ruger.