Spare time Project

Help Support Ruger Forum:

lipofsky

Single-Sixer
Had some plywood scraps and decided to try my hand at a Bullseye Pistol Box. Not quite finished yet still need to find a handle and build a pistol rack and scope mount: I am thinking a two gun rack.

Attachments

• Gun box 1.JPG
    Gun box 1.JPG
    209.5 KB · Views: 41

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
Had some plywood scraps and decided to try my hand at a Bullseye Pistol Box. Not quite finished yet still need to find a handle and build a pistol rack and scope mount: I am thinking a two gun rack.
Just a sugg, but if you can't find a commercially available handle you like, you might consider making a wood handle, or a piece of round brass bar stock mounted in wood supports. I've done both kinds for various things.

Brass and Ebony drawer pulls on my desk:

DSCF5744.JPG

Last edited:

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
Nice pulls on the desk GunnyGene.

Leather handles might also be nice for the pistol box.

Yep, all kinds of options if you make your own. I'd suggest braided leather tho, if going with that. I've also used hemp rope. Sometimes you can find antique iron hardware for pulls, handles, and hinges at antique shops or pawn shops also. Usually these are much sturdier and better looking than the junk at the big box hardware stores. Even stirrups or other horse tack can be made to work.

Ammo box w/ rope. One on each end will easily support 50lbs. Probably the easiest to make.

DSCF5745.JPG

Last edited:

contender

Ruger Guru
It's funny how I've seen an interest in these old Bullseye handgun boxes. I had a Pachmyer one,, that nobody seemed to want. I gave it away. Had a spotting scope with it too!

lipofsky

Single-Sixer
Good Ideas, as for P-3 Parts I only have 1 E-handle, still have a few things to work out with it. However I do need a little help Identifying the box I use regularly. It was passed down to me by a gentleman whose late brother was a competition shooter. The only stipulation was I had to pass it on when I no longer did competition shooting I could not sell it, only pass it on. There are no labels or tags on it, there is one that appears to have had writing on it but it has long since worn away. I estimate the age at 40+. Any help identifying this would be appreciated, thank you all in advance.

Attachments

• Gun box ID 1.jpg
    Gun box ID 1.jpg
    181.1 KB · Views: 19
  • Gun Box ID 4.jpg
    Gun Box ID 4.jpg
    203.9 KB · Views: 19
  • Gunbox ID 3.jpg
    Gunbox ID 3.jpg
    168.1 KB · Views: 19

Enigma

Hunter
Re: Handle and hardware. If you search hard enough online, you can find most anything in that realm. Search for luggage repair parts or something similar.

Rock185

Bearcat
I only wish I had that level of woodworking skill.

Lipofsky, The box you asked about sure looks very similar to my old Pachmayr shooting box. Mine is brown, but has that leatherette type covering, holder for four pistols, similar hardware, etc..

I converted an old Mosin Crate into a range box. 3-4 rifles, 5-6 pistols, Chrono, Ammo etc. It's out in the barn somewhere now that my range is in the back yard.

Sweet! Looks like a good job.

Now you need a vintage high standard, some sort of competition model to showcase it. Or! A target model 1911!!!
Hey did someone say A Target Model 1911.
My neighbor shot in NRA Bullseye and became an expert in it. He shot the top 1911 along with a tricked out High Standard with a muzzle brake and a S&W 38.
He gave me all of his Bullseye guns before he died of cancer along with the 1917, 1911. I didn't want the box that he used and don't know what happened to it. I traded the High Standard for a 45-70 Uberti Sharps.
I do not know what all has been done to the target 1911, but it is one hell of a shooter.
That is a very nice one Chief

1711908360131.png

protoolman

Service-Sixer
I just passed on a free one at an estate sale. All the catches, knobs , corner irons were rusty and the leatherette covering was peeling. I think the brand was Don-jo or something similar.