Baltimore bridge collapses after ship strike

Help Support Ruger Forum:

ProfessorWes

Hunter
There's video showing the ship apparently suffering some sort of electrical/engineering casualty before hitting the bridge.

I'm emphatically NOT endorsing the conclusions this guy is jumping to, mind you. It's far too early to be making any such judgements.

I don't know enough about the currents in the harbor or the other details, although from what they're saying the ship was leaving port, on a night with calm wind and (from all the footage of the collision) clear conditions.

That said, this means a major highway will be shut down for years until a replacement bridge can be built and operations at the Port of Baltimore will be snarled for months. Not to mention however many people just got killed (seven people missing, at last report).

Edited to include: Just watched the video of Baltimore's diversity-hire mayor, wearing what looks like some sort of high school letter jacket, babbling about how this disaster looks like something out of an action movie. Let's just say he is clearly out of his depth and leave it at that.

As far as vehicle traffic goes there are other ways around the area. Traffic is going to be awful through the two tunnels. The biggest problem, other than the loss of lives, is the fact that the Port of Baltimore is now inaccessible. The ship was not under command of the Caption. A Port Pilot was operating the vessel.

One good thing, if there is a good thing, about this is the time that it happened. Had it occurred between 0700 and 0900 there would have been almost bumper to bumper traffic on the span. 30,000 cars cross that bridge daily is being reported. I have crossed that bridge untold number of times through the years.

Last edited:

John in WYO

Single-Sixer
Video shows smoke starts billowing from exhaust stacks (going full throttle?) as ship turns to line up the bridge support.
I'm no ship expert, but I have seen diesel exhaust from semi-tractors "rolling coal".
Who was behind the controls at the time? is my question.

contender

Ruger Guru
First off,, it's sad for the families of lost ones here.

Next,, I'm with FM on this. If it had happened during a morning rush hour,, it could have been a LOT worse.

How does something like this happen? Foreign ship and captain (I'd guess). Not well trained? Currents the Captain or pilot not used to? Anyone think Singapor4 will pay for rebuilding it?

I'll bet it won't take very long to cut up and drag the debris out of the waterway and reopen the port.
Vehicle traffic is going to just suck for a loooong time though.
I wonder if they reversed and applied full power to try and slow or stop, might explain the smoke?

Latest posts