happy to be alive, grateful to be an American

Help Support Ruger Forum:

J. Yuma

Bearcat
I'm in a good state of mind. Just had a second hip replacement surgery Tuesday, grateful for the miracle of modern medicine.
I love my family, friends, and on this Mother's Day, I cherish the memories of my mother.
I'm resting, reading, listening to music (Ray Charles, Van Morrison on the station) and thinking about my Ruger revolvers. Life is good.
1715526463635.png

here's to getting in the wind.

in_a_silent_way

Bearcat
thanks, I'll do it!
Incidentally, not five minutes ago a 40 year old oak just cracked off and hit the ground in the backyard. Mostly calm clear day. Ants had hollowed out a section enough to weaken it. It took out a few smaller aspens and birch on the way down. Keep an eye out for the lee side :)

In keeping with the spirit of the post, The Man on a particularly good night. My audio recording is better than this, and I often share it with the neighbors, but this gets the point across I think...

J. Yuma

Bearcat
once upon a time I did tree work, puts you in the moment.
Grateful for Van Morrison, Linda Ronstadt, Bonnie Raitt, Janis Joplin, Etta James, rye whiskey, anejo tequila, Harley Davidson, and the Ruger Super Blackhawk.
It's a good day.
(Wish I could have a whiskey, gotta hold off til the oxy is done.)
the Philosopher's Stone is up.
thanks for the video.

J. Yuma

Bearcat
it's a blessing to receive this treatment.
What did folks do before?
Especially sublime is how caring my wife has been through this, my third joint replacement,
Good luck!

Hertervillian

Saluki
it's a blessing to receive this treatment.
What did folks do before?
Especially sublime is how caring my wife has been through this, my third joint replacement,
Good luck!
Limped around on crutches. Hips are notoriously lousy in my family. Every picture of my great grandfather shows him standing with crutches. He was having problems by 45 yrs.

Recently reading about how you just don't encounter people with canes like you once did. They were quite common, I know so many with joint replacement who would no doubt have a cane.

in_a_silent_way

Bearcat
In times gone by bad joints rendered most people permanently crippled and was often the short track to poverty and an early grave. The rocking chair on the porch used to be more than decorative. My great grandfather was fortunate to have thirty years of service with the Illinois Central. When he could no longer walk, they transferred him to a position as switch yard foreman. My grandmother, from age 8, pushed him in a wagon close enough to the car so he could get in. She drove him to work every morning. Using a lane IC cleared they pulled up close to the tower and scooted him into the hoist. A few IC employees would haul him up to the crows nest where he stayed for the day until my grandmother picked him up after school and his shift. Modern medicine has its faults, but the alternatives weren't very attractive.

J. Yuma

Bearcat
Thanks for sharing. Without these procedures normal life would've become impossible.

Not gonna lie tho', each of these surgeries were humbling. Pain from recovery and rehabilitation will sharpen the senses.

Perhaps most incredible? Both the will, and skill of the surgeons.

HBWL

Bearcat
Modern medicine truly is a miracle, and I'm glad it's helping you on your journey to better health.

It's heartwarming to hear about your love for your family and friends, and your cherished memories of your mother. I hope you're able to feel connected to her even though she's no longer with you.

And, of course, thinking about your Ruger revolvers sounds like a great way to spend some downtime! It's the little things in life that can bring us joy and comfort, and it's wonderful that you're taking the time to appreciate those things.
Sending you warm wishes for a speedy recovery, and may life continue to treat you well! 😊

loiblb

Single-Sixer
Time and a little rehab do wonders. Had my hip relaced after a bad fall. I'm able to do about anything now. Ride my bicycle or go shooting, work in my shop.
Have to work out more because of the new hip. No big deal.

J. Yuma

Bearcat
To all who've responded. Thanks.
At 70 years old, I've just discovered that I have a love for the science of shooting.
Go figure.
Judging from your responses, this forum is a good thing, and I'm glad to be a member.

Armybrat

Buckeye
Thanks for sharing. Without these procedures normal life would've become impossible.

Not gonna lie tho', each of these surgeries were humbling. Pain from recovery and rehabilitation will sharpen the senses.

Perhaps most incredible? Both the will, and skill of the surgeons.
Agree completely!
Cardiologists saved my life starting 24 years ago with four heart stent implant procedures over the years, then last year a TAVR (Transcatheter Aorta Valve Replacement) and a pacemaker implanted inside my chest.
Luckily those procedures did not generate much post-op pain of any consequence.
Feels kinda funny though with a bovine heart valve and an electronic gadget keeping the old heart pumping properly.
God willing, I'll turn 80 later this year - and maybe a few more after that.

wproct

Single-Sixer
Glad you are doing well. You have a good taste in music. I had a knee replacement in 2019 and spent a lot of time listening to my favorite music. My wife had both knee replacements on the same day, the woman is crazy! I had helped her with recovery and I knew it was rough but had no idea how tough it really was until I had mine. I don't know how she did it. With knee replacements it's all about the physical therapy afterwards.

Latest posts