Holsters and me...............

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
Or is it holsters and I? My school teacher Sister in no longer available to correct me. (She's alive and well at age 98, though in an assisted living establishment.) But I seem to be sort of in the collection stage of gun leather. So be it!

Holsters for the 7 1/2" Blackhawks/Super Blackhawks:

(All holsters shown at about the dame height when on a cartridge belt)

At left is one I got along with the Super Blackhawk I bought used. It is black leather, lined with a pale, smooth leather lining, may be kidskin? And fits a 1 1/2" belt. Middle is an El Paso Saddelry rig, and last is the No. 1 Shuck (Banded) from Doc Barranti.

The same, without the hardware:

And, for shorter barreled Rugers:

From left to Wright: Bob Mernickel PS-6SA; modified Tom Threepersons by Graveyard Jack Gunleather, further modified Tom Threepersons from Graveyard Jack Gunleather; and No.1 Shuck by Doc Barranti. I've used/carried with all of these. The Mernickel model now carries the gun too high for me now. Age, you know.

And...........still more!

From l.to r.: Hipshots model by Doc Barranti; No. 1 Shuck, banded and basket stamped, by Doc Barranti; Highly modified Brill design (to my specs) from American Classic Gunleather; and Brill design from Doc Barranti.

And........(Drum roll!):

A forty plus year old home made rig I made many years ago. Tried my hand at holster making at one time.

And, as an added interest, Craig (Graveyard Jack) charged me $20 extra for the curved seam on the stamped holster as he had to make a new pattern. When he got an order for another like it, he refunded my $20. That's the knd of man he is.

Bob Wright

One of these days I am going to convince myself of the NEED for a Barranti holster. The more you show these, the closer that day comes. I' waiting until my Bobby Tyler sends my NM Blackhawk back.

What an awesome collection, Bob, thanks for the pics.

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
You have some FINE looking gunleather !
Thank you, and all the others who passed such kind remarks. I determined years ago that a holster can be attractive as well as functional.

If I were to be hit "by a bread truck" I'd hate for the first responders to say, "What an ugly holster this guy is wearing!"

(Being "hit by a bread truck" was a situation brought up many times in meetings with Federal Express designers to indicate that equipment/systems needed publicized information well distributed.)

Bob Wright

As to perfection, it doesn't exist. But, for most of my day to day carry I find either a simple cross draw scabbard or a Yaqui slide suffice.

I'm not much into ornamentation preferring excellence of construction over artistic appearance.

And I'm a minimalist in that I think lighter and less bulky always trumps big and heavy leather.

gnappi

Blackhawk
I vacillate between "just a bucket" functional holster and eye candy leather but Bob those are both great craftmanship and functional!

BIgMuddy

Blackhawk
Great looking/functional leather Bob. I wish I knew who made that un-named holster on the left in the first picture. I have one obviously from the same maker only for a S&W M586. My brother has one too, for what gun I don't remember. Nice rigs but no name or maker's mark on them. I found mine at a gunshow and his came off eBay.

As for having a place to keep holsters, I bought some of those things that hang on a closet door to keep shoes. They have several pockets and work great for keeping some of my leather organized.

Thanks for sharing Bob. Always enjoy your pictures.

Dan