Antler sheds

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Noticed an odd shape and color at the base of one of my trees at my back boundary yesterday. Went out and found this laying there. My question, and I think I know the answer; what is the likelihood that the other one is close by? Next nice day I'll go out and roam around to see what I can see. Where we live, behind us is open fallow fields (75-80 acres) at the base of a mountain surrounded by tree filled fence rows and wooded areas. We have a bunch of deer (10-12) that regularly come into the yard and around the house looking for food (or to molest the bird feeders attached to our rear raised deck - bottom of the feeders are 6-7 feet off the ground) to knock out all the seed and then eat it off the ground or to harass the flowers/plants I try to grow. We do not actively put food out like the neighbors do.

This is the first shed that I have found while living here (27 years) - guess I need to start looking up in the wooded areas.

IMG_0453.JPG
IMG_0454.JPG

I/we didn't spend much time shed hunting this year. The few we stumbled over were 50/50 fresh/older and one was exceptional in size. Only 5 points but the mass was amazing. I've been cruising the soybean fields hoping to find any sheds dropped there before a tractor tire finds them next month.

contender

Ruger Guru
I've found a few sheds over the years. Sometimes,, I've found the matching pair close to each other & more often,, just a single antler. But it's fun to hunt them! (Just watch out for mountain lions!)

I've spent plenty of time looking for the 2nd antler when I found one of a set. Never managed to succeed. I have found what appeared to be two from the same deer on two consecutive years. Unfortunately the same side both years.

gnappi

Blackhawk
The very few we found in upstate New York were pretty well chewed up by squirrels, mice and other small creatures. I've never seen one here in Florida.

Just wandering around one day last week (during the nice weather) in the woods that will get decimated when they start developing and noticed something out of the ordinary so I was hoping it was what I thought it was. And it was. Here they are together. Do you think they came from the same animal? Since there are very few bucks that I see right in this area, I believe they are.

IMG_0472.JPG

Last edited:
we find it much easier to find them together along with the head, like this one back in our woods after it was truck by a car?? or some such and ran off into the woods........and yes in a short period of time the rest of the carcass simply disappeared???, the broken leg was the last thing to go.........:cool::rolleyes::unsure:

Attachments

• a deer skull 3-14 ang.JPG
    a deer skull 3-14 ang.JPG
    47.7 KB · Views: 5
  • a deer skull 3-14 left ang.JPG
    a deer skull 3-14 left ang.JPG
    54.1 KB · Views: 5
Grandson said there was guy on FB wanting to buy shed antlers. When he told me the price, it worked out the seller would need to have about a pickup bed full just to cover gas money to deliver. I'd rather just leave them stacked next to the cedar tree in the yard for ornaments.

contender

Ruger Guru
There is a market (where legal) for shed antlers. But it's usually done by the pound. If the prices offered are too low,, then by all means,, use them as decorations.

I know of a guy who used to sell antlers to an "artist" for their "creations!" He said it was a pretty good arrangement.

needsmostuff

Blackhawk
I'm always looking for larger elk sheds for knife and gun grip projects.
Prices around here are anything but low.
As they are not native or common around here I often see racks for sale in the $500 or more range,,,,,,, which if course I cannot cut up and sell on a $100. knife

I'm always looking for larger elk sheds for knife and gun grip projects.
Prices around here are anything but low.
As they are not native or common around here I often see racks for sale in the $500 or more range,,,,,,, which if course I cannot cut up and sell on a $100. knife
I remember finding someone who sold antler scales and blanks for just such projects and they were very reasonable. I will see if I can find them again.

I recently heard of a guide in WY(?) who must have access to a tremendous elk population. He collected and sold something like 10,000-12,000 pounds of elk sheds. I can't imagine how many individual antlers that would be.

contender

Ruger Guru
Wow,, I bet that guide was able to buy a new truck with that.

Actually,, most elk antlers usually weigh 30-40 lbs each if I recall things correctly. (I'm not taking a set of mine down to weigh them.)
If you use an average of 35# per antler,, and divide it into 12000, you come up with 342.8 antlers. Still a pretty good number for sure.
If you figure elk antler usually brings $10-$15 a pound,, (some larger or better ones bring even more,) with an average of $12.50 a pound,,, that's $150,000.00.
I'll bet he earned it by traipsing all over the woods & places where they would gather & shed.

JAYDAWG

Single-Sixer
I recently heard of a guide in WY(?) who must have access to a tremendous elk population. He collected and sold something like 10,000-12,000 pounds of elk sheds. I can't imagine how many individual antlers that would be.

Wow,, I bet that guide was able to buy a new truck with that.

Actually,, most elk antlers usually weigh 30-40 lbs each if I recall things correctly. (I'm not taking a set of mine down to weigh them.)
If you use an average of 35# per antler,, and divide it into 12000, you come up with 342.8 antlers. Still a pretty good number for sure.
If you figure elk antler usually brings $10-$15 a pound,, (some larger or better ones bring even more,) with an average of $12.50 a pound,,, that's $150,000.00.
I'll bet he earned it by traipsing all over the woods & places where they would gather & shed.
Most all the sheds purchased in bulk and used in commercial applications come from here. Check it out.
Pretty cool

contender

Ruger Guru
Interesting!

Ok,, I may have been off quite a bit on the weight of sheds. I saw a bundle in that video,, that if I read it correctly,, about 3-4 sheds weighed 40 Lbs. So,, if that's the case,, then let me re-do my math.

If that guy had 12000 lbs of antler,, and using the average price seen in that video (over $18 a pound,) I'll use $18. That still comes out to over $216,000.00.

WOW!!!!!!!

In any event,, that's a LOT of antler.