Berdan primed 30-06 cases...what should I do?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

cbass

Single-Sixer
I was given about 100 30-06 cases that are berdan primed from 1954. The guy pulled the bullets to use for another project but thought I might want the cases. Should I load them up with some gallery loads (like unique and lead) or is there something else I could do with them? Or are they basically worthless and should be scrapped?

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
Hi,

I'm gonna join the "load 'em and shoot 'em" guys. Light "gallery loads" sounds like a good choice. Just be sure to clean the rifle well after use just in case those primers are corrosive. W/ that date on 'em, it's a good possibility...

Rick C

mikld

Blackhawk
If they are primed, just load and shoot. I'd think no "gallery" loads are needed, just stay below max. loads with whatever your normal loads are...

cbass

Single-Sixer
Anything special I need to do to clean the gun, other than Hoppes?

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
cbass said:
Anything special I need to do to clean the gun, other than Hoppes?

Hi,

Some folks like to wet a patch w/ Windex and run it down the barrel when they're done shooting corrosive stuff (works for b/p, too.) A regular cleaning w/ Hoppe's No. 9, finished off by an oiled patch, oughta do you from there... some may suggest you repeat the drill a day later if you wish.

Rick C

loaded round

Hunter
30-06 once fired cases are both fairly common and easy to find. Why go thru the hassle of finding primers, depriming, and priming 100 berdan cases? Why not just scrap them and find boxer primed cases. If you are a case scrounger like me, pay the postage and I'll send you 100 once fired GI 30-06 cases free. :)

toysoldier

Hunter
I bought some 6.5mm Swedish Berdan-primed wooden-bullet rounds, cheap. Pulled the bullets & dumped the powder. I plan to load them for hunting, so (cheapskate that I am) I'm not worried where the empties go as I'm shooting. :)

Latest posts