Colorado Wolves

Help Support Ruger Forum:

settup6

Bearcat
Wolves in northern Colorado are ranging into areas where humans camp and hike, and that does seem dangerous. When using these areas, I think I would leave my small children at home. It just seems too risky and not very well thought out by state government.

BearBiologist

Hunter
Two days ago, they just killed four more cattle. Who could have predicted that? I always love how people can vote on things that won't impact them at all.
You have any reports to link???? I'd like to see them. I do know dogs do more damage to livestock and wolves are often to blame. Not saying that's the case, just want to read something about it.

"Farmers and ranchers can apply for up to $15,000 in reimbursement for livestock or guard and herding animals killed or injured by wolves."

Is that per animal, per attack, or total? :unsure:

bobsyouruncle

Blackhawk
Balance of nature is a real thing. Natural selection is a real thing. I'm not so sure introducing wolves that are now feeding on introduced animals (cattle) is such a good idea. I'm guessing that when there is a human fatality their fate will get decided. Rabies is a real thing as well.

Xrayist

Single-Sixer
I live in Colorado. I personally think that this was a very stupid use of taxpayer dollars. Wolves are in Wyoming and nothing was stopping them from walking across the border into Colorado. To pay to import wolves, was IMO, idiotic. Now there was talk of re-introducing wolverines into Colorado. Personally, if Colorado is going to keep doing such things, then why stop with the "amateur league"......re-introduce grizzlies to Colorado, places like Rocky Mountain National Park would be a good start. Give tourists, and residents, a bit more excitment when camping, hiking, picnicing, or just plain sightseeing while visiting!

bobsyouruncle

Blackhawk
All at a time when Colorado legislators are trying to enact stricker gun laws and gun bans. defend yourselves against an attack by a wolf pack with bear spray

BearBiologist

Hunter
Balance of nature is a real thing. Natural selection is a real thing. I'm not so sure introducing wolves that are now feeding on introduced animals (cattle) is such a good idea. I'm guessing that when there is a human fatality their fate will get decided. Rabies is a real thing as well.
One: Dogs still do more damage to livestock than do native predators.
Two: To reduce rabies, require all dogs (Not just city dogs, but ranch dogs) to be vaccinated. Here in WA State, dogs outside the city limits do not need to be vaccinated.
Three: Rabies would decimate the wolf population pretty quickly, as would canine distemper if the wolves and unvaccinated dogs came into contact. Both diseases are "density dependent", meaning the denser the population, the easier and quicker the disease spreads. Spaying females will also reduce contact between wolves and domestic dogs, to prevent natural hybridization.
Four: A human fatality??? :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: All except one wolf fatality have been proven to be (a) bear attacks, scavenged by wolves, (b) captive wolves, or (C) wolf-dog hybrids)- see my post on wolf fatalities in the Hunting Forum. That one attack involved someone unfamiliar with wildlife running from wolves and triggering a "prey response". Report attached here:

We had a bout with distemper here a while back. It hit the Racoons pretty hard, but didn't even seem to bother the coyotes. Of course since distemper was rampant the idiots at animal control couldn't even tell the difference between rabies and distemper. I had one insist a coon had distemper. They are required to check the animal before it is destroyed. They tried to cover their butts, but the records are public. Turned out the coon had rabies.

OH, and it took me threatening to shoot it before animal control would even respond.

re-introduce grizzlies to Colorado, places like Rocky Mountain National Park
I think that would do a good job of reducing the number of idiots killed by elk during the rut on two levels...
1 - Fewer Elk, less opportunity for conflict
2 - Fewer people, also less opportunity for conflict
Side benefit, very well-fed bears. Sounds like a win/win! How many examples of governments messing with the natural order of things and royally screwing everything up do they need?

BearBiologist

Hunter
"re-introduce grizzlies to Colorado, places like Rocky Mountain National Park"

Having hunted elk in grizzly country, it does add a certain spice to the hunt!I think they should clone the California Grizzly (Largest of the sub species==they are trying) and re-introduce them into the Los Padres and Angeles Forests and the Sierra Nevadas!!!!

Having hunted elk in grizzly country, it does add a certain spice to the hunt!I think they should clone the California Grizzly (Largest of the sub species==they are trying) and re-introduce them into the Los Padres and Angeles Forests and the Sierra Nevadas!!!!
I'll second that. But, introduce them to all of the forests snd parks they once inhabited. Imagine Yosemite with enough bears the scare away the hordes of tourists.

You spelled Compton wrong.... :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Latest posts