dealers with dirty guns

Help Support Ruger Forum:

tiger955

Bearcat
Seems most used guns I've looked at at most dealers in the past decade have been filthy. Is this common practice everywhere? I really want to give a gun a thorough inspection to look for wear/damage before I buy, especially considering the prices lately, but when they are that filthy it is hard to see much detail. I hate to have to take my cleaning kit along and spend the time cleaning their inventory before I buy.

JFB

Hunter
could it be whether the Dealer owns
(and wanting to make the most profit will have it clean),
or the gun is on consignment
(and should be left in condition its owner brought it in as)?

pete44ru

Hunter

It's not common practice, but is run across every now & then.

There's a few dealers that I've stopped patronizing because they didn't care, or weren't proud, enough to display/present their wares in the best way possible.

Also, IME there's often the chance of getting a used firearm with an undiscovered functioning issue, just because a dealer cleaning/inspection never happened.

Actually, all of one local dealer's guns always had a bit of surface rusting on the metal because his shop was only heated (wood stove) for the few hours each (winter) day he was open.
The alternating heat/cold caused condensation on the metal - and, yeah, I no longer go there, either.

I pick up a gun from the rack and its filthy I simple put it back and move on.
That tell me who ever had it does take care of stuff. 99% of the time when I'm done shooting
I clean my weapon, to be honest I enjoy it get to look it over real good!
Dealers who keep dirty firearms on there rack are not gun people they are just retailers pushing product! Lets face it they are not so busy that they do not have the time.
Just lazy or do not give a damn. No dirty guns in my safe!ps

I haven't been inside a "gun shop" for several months. Last time I did notice several used guns that had mostly worn off camo paint that didn't help their resale value(my opinion).
I can't say much about "dirty guns" since several of mine spend their lives in various stages of filthy. They get that way if you carry, haul, or use them but a business really should spend a few minutes to give their inventory a good wipe down.

I've seen dirty guns in stores before. I always wonder why they don't spend a few minutes cleaning them. It seems like they could sell them easier/faster... and for more money too. Seems like a waste.

I have seen it a lot around my neck of the woods. Gun shows too! A parallel would be going to a car lot and the cars are dirty inside and out. Seems to me you would want to present your wares at their best. Says a lot to the integrity of the seller as well. JMO

Dave

Daveboone

Single-Sixer
I always wondered why anyone would sell a gun, like a car, that wasn't cleaned up for best impression.
A few years ago I found a mid 70s era Win. 94 that was filthy, and spray painted black entirely . the shop was asking something like 270.oo, I figured what the heck...cant get hurt too bad. I took it home and quickly and easily cleaned off the black spray paint, and had a heck of a nice 30-30...even had a Lyman aperture sight on it.

RUFFBIRD

Blackhawk
I just move on if it is dirty! Lots of clean ones to check out, if not today, then whenever!
Have learned not to be an impulse buyer. Have also learned I might be sorry later... :lol:

bobski

Hunter
it is common.
many believe (washing your car) to sell it hides the abuse it had when owned.
same with guns.
being in the condition its offered allows buyers to assume or pinpoint where the damage will be.
the condition of a gun tells a lot about the owner and the guns history.
it also gives the buyer some haggle room.

besides....a trained eye should know what to look at for wear and damage, and not be distracted by the rest.
the new generation unfortunatley is getting too use to (seeing) things to get them to jump on a deal, due to the smart phone swipe shopping habits being enfused in young minds.
the skill of holding and touching something FIRST, to be part of a buying process is being lost.

I know a lot of young folks who don't even ever consider buying a used gun. They miss out on a lot of good stuff because of that. I'll buy a dirty or even slightly rusty gun if the price is right, it interests me, and I think I can clean it up satisfactorily.

david knutson

Single-Sixer
I have to say I like to see how it was taken care of before cleaning.. I won't even consider looking at a used pick up if it has been detailed and all covered up New tires ect. I want to see just how out of line it is.

fiasconva

Blackhawk
I don't know about you all but if I were going to sell a gun on consignment I'd have it as clean as I could get it. I'd want to get the best price for it that I could.

Kanook

Buckeye
If you want to be surprised, start looking at the Black Powder rifles. I have found more than a fare share still loaded.

hittman

Staff member
We're in a small rural area so we're usually on a first name basis with the employees at gun stores. If a gun is dirty I may tell them a price I'm thinking of "not knowing how it'll clean up" ...... some get the hint and others maybe not.

Dirty guns aren't common here that I've seen.

pete44ru

Hunter
dougader said:
Cabela's rarely cleans used guns when they buy them.

I asked about it and generally they just let it slide because they don't have time to deal with it.

+1

Three years ago, I was surprised to see a 1914 Savage Model 1899-H rifle in .303 Savage there, for less than $300 (a local Cabela's.),

So, I bought it, even though it looked terrible, with white paint splotches and some kind of adhesive residue, here & there, all over the stock & metal
Additionally, the exposed portion of the bolt had acquired a "patina", and the magazine rotor was so dirty that the number of cartridges left in the magazine could not be seen.

This is what it looked like, 30mins after I got it home.

B5v1LLLl.jpg

It shot good too - this, @ 100yds

KeyV2AXl.jpg

XP100

Blackhawk
If a customer brought a filthy gun into my shop to sell I would ask what they wanted for it. then tell them they could either pay me to clean it or take it home and do it themselves if they thought they were going to get near the price they were looking to get and I would not put it on my shelf that dirty.Most paid me to clean it.

Latest posts