Got my new hearing aids

Help Support Ruger Forum:

moparclan

Single-Sixer
Lots of upgraded versions out there now, my rechargeable Phonak have Bluetooth and connect to my phone and TV also. App on phone has settings to change sound, measure walking steps, battery life, environment changes (movies, restaurants, TV, etc.)wearing time, when to clean the wax guards and probably more I haven't discovered yet. I went with the molded hear pieces this time and it helps cut out some extra noise.
Don't help the tinnitus ringing but helps the hearing and understanding. My wife actually askes me to turn the car radio or TV up now.(y)
4 years on a US Navy destroyer and 41 years heavy equipment operator and Millwright at a papermill surely didn't help.

It is my understanding that Costco quit selling the Kirklands. We don't have a Costco close anyway.

On the rechargeable ones and the VA - my father, whom I take care of, is a veteran. They did NOT pay for his first pair but about a year or two ago said they would. I believe they are Oticons. They work OK, he has severe loss combined with failure to just understand, he is 92. The problem with his rechargeables is he can't make it through the day with them. He wears his old ones in the morning and before going to to lunch at assisted living, puts on his new ones that get him the rest of the day. What I learned by researching is that the more hearing loss, the harder the units have to work so the more power the draw. With his severe hearing loss, they draw down quickly.

The other drawback others have shared with me on rechargeable ones is carrying the case around and plugging it in. Some places are not was friendly with plug ins and it is just one more bulking thing. When they go dead, they are done.

Someone asked about prices. So far I am finding prices for less than a $1,000 to over $6.000. The upper end tends to have a lot more bells and whistles mostly associated with service. I am not convinced the expensive ones are better but if you look you will see they are located in nice big buildings with a staff that all want paid.
My understanding is they quit selling the Kirkland rechargeable aids.

rotor

Single-Sixer
"My question is what is the price range of options that represent a quality experience and long term durability?"
That will depend on your actual coverage. My GEHA covered 100% of what MediCare didn't when I got my first unit 3 years ago. I'm not sure how much is going to be covered on this addition/update transaction. It may cost me $2500 or it may be no cost--I won't know until 3/24 when I pick up the new units. I'm getting some credit for my trade in but not sure how much.
"Long term durability"? The only attention my ME battery powered unit has needed is regular cleaning and a couple new thingies that go in the ear canal. All covered by the local ME franchise agent. I like the battery power BUT my new set will be rechargeable since apparently battery power is outdated. There's a downside of rechargeables--when the internal battery dies, the unit is trash(so I'm told)..
They can replace rechargeable batteries. You pay if beyond warranty.

44horse

Bearcat
Starkey are the ones that I have, they bluetooth to my phone and TV.
Mine are Oticon. Second pair. The first lasted about 10 years. Cost is high at around Six grand. Connect to my Iphone. Very adjustable and can be found by the phone if turned on when lost. Batteries last about 5 days unless outside in wind. Hearing loss in my case is hereditary.

Johnnu2

Hunter
I don't use rechargables.... Costco batteries work for me. Buy a years worth at a time. I heard that when the rechargeable battery is no good, you have to leave your hearing aids with the vendor for replacement.... Leaves you deaf again for X weeks/months if that info is correct.
J.

Mine are Oticon. Second pair. The first lasted about 10 years. Cost is high at around Six grand. Connect to my Iphone. Very adjustable and can be found by the phone if turned on when lost. Batteries last about 5 days unless outside in wind. Hearing loss in my case is hereditary.
I have Oticon as well. My insurance paid about half. Yes they are expensive. I didn't check out Cosco as I was concerned about the quality of service after the sale. Not saying it is bad but didn't know. I did buy my glasses from Cosco but had my eyes check elsewhere first. Saved money on the glasses.

WV460hunter

Single-Sixer
When I finally get to where I have to have hearing aids(and I'm getting closer) I won't be getting any.
Cause I have been listening to my wife whine for 26+ and it will be bliss 😊 to not have to hear her whine.🤣

'you have to leave your hearing aids with the vendor for replacement.... Leaves you deaf again for X weeks/months if that info is correct.'
THAT would depend on your dealer or agent. Last Friday at least 2 of us deaf geezers left the Miracle Ear store with 'loaners'(owned by the store). When I was first fitted, I was given a loaner for the interim period while waiting on my new unit.
"Cause I have been listening to my wife whine for 26+"
Wait until it's twice that long and she's 1/2 deaf also. THEN the 'whine' gets louder so she can hear herself.:devilish:

g5m

Blackhawk
With all of the service connected hearing loss and tinnitis it seems to me the VA would be pretty much expert at dealing with hearing aids.
Is that accurate?

jimd441

Blackhawk
This thread has been an inspiration to me and I am going to take action. I'm 69 and my hearing has been progressively degrading over the years and has reached a point where my wife claims she has to practically yell for me to hear, and I often have difficulty hearing in social situations. A friend recommended that I first visit with an ENT physician to rule out (hopefully) any structural or other medical issues. After that, she recommended that I go to an audiologist who will test my hearing and fit hearing aids tuned to the frequencies and levels specific to my hearing loss. She said that is important because people don't lose hearing equally across all frequencies. Often my problem is not so much that I can't hear, but that I can't understand as the speech sounds muddy. I liken it to the difference between hitting a snare drum with the drumstick vs putting your hand on the drum and then hitting it. Does this make sense, and what do you think of her recommendations? Thanks in advance.

Jim

I put off looking into hearing aids far too long. My high frequency loss is 90+% in both ears dropping to 50-60% at the lower frequencies. There was hope of 're-awakening' some of the lost capabilities but that isn't happening-what's gone is gone but at least I can hear Grand Daughter's flute music to some extent w/o increasing the already too loud drum sounds during band concerts.
The newer 'tunable' aids are far better than the older 'amplifier' things.

This thread has been an inspiration to me and I am going to take action. I'm 69 and my hearing has been progressively degrading over the years and has reached a point where my wife claims she has to practically yell for me to hear, and I often have difficulty hearing in social situations. A friend recommended that I first visit with an ENT physician to rule out (hopefully) any structural or other medical issues. After that, she recommended that I go to an audiologist who will test my hearing and fit hearing aids tuned to the frequencies and levels specific to my hearing loss. She said that is important because people don't lose hearing equally across all frequencies. Often my problem is not so much that I can't hear, but that I can't understand as the speech sounds muddy. I liken it to the difference between hitting a snare drum with the drumstick vs putting your hand on the drum and then hitting it. Does this make sense, and what do you think of her recommendations? Thanks in advance.

Jim
Very good ideas and process. I believe the ENT is the first step. They often also do the audiology testing and will recommend an aid. Do your research, tho, into providers, as prices and quality really vary. I'm on my third set, and Phonak has worked well for me. Costco prices them well, and offers great ongoing service, also.

JimC1953

Bearcat

Jim
Seeing the ENT is sound advice. The provider I saw before set me up with the wrong type of aids for my loss. I told my ENT about the problems I was having with them and he ordered new tests with his staff (doctorate in audiology staff) and took one look at the results and told me I was in the wrong type of aid. The aids he prescribed for me are much better and I can function in a group again, and pretty much follow in restaurants (still have times it is difficult there).

The ability to understand words is part of what a comprehensive exam will test. You might be able to hear the sound, but processing the words -- "muddy speech" as you said --- is what a good provider will compensate for. Getting the correct aids for that takes some time.

We were driving one time and a Mustang was coming up in the next lane. I said to my wife, "that Mustang has after market exhaust and it sounds really nice". She said, "how come you can hear that but not me?" so I explained to her the difference is I just have to HEAR the exhaust, with words I have to both hear and interpret the sound to determine what the words are.

Huskerguy72

Single-Sixer
I am in the process of looking. So far I have had my hearing tested by an audiologist in the school system where I formerly worked. She looked my ears over and did my initial testing a few years ago. I recently went to Sam's club and they tested me again and showed me some options for their OTC Lucid brand. They have a 90 day trial which is good. Yesterday I went to Miracle Ear and they wanted to test again. The lady said I don't need much and showed me prices - holly cow, low end was $4,000 with the discount. She gave me a set to try and said she could let me have them a week which I agreed to. She then said she would have to order some of the entry level as the ones she had me trying were the $10,000 ones!

So having an audiologist isn't that big of a deal as near as I can tell UNLESS you have some major problems. They all have a tech do the leg work of testing and adjusting anyway. I am still looking around, even on-line. I just do not want to pay more than I need to and there is a huge spread in prices. The OTC people say the big companies charge too much to pay for the brick buildings and the brick building people say the OTC places sell cheap junk. The number of channels seems to be where the price breaks come in. The less expensive ones at Miracle Ear are 8 channel, more expensive have 48 channels.

Researching hearing aids has to be the most frustrating thing I have ever done. Prices are all over, nothing to compare to, and lots of variables.

WV460hunter

Single-Sixer
Researching hearing aids has to be the most frustrating thing I have ever done. Prices are all over, nothing to compare to, and lots of variables.

Lol, that why you fellas hopefully get what ya want and hopefully the hearing thing is improved.
Now I got my own thoughts on this. Men as was stated earlier tend to loose their hearing more often earlier than women folk. Now as I see it . It is by design . At least for me cause if I wasn't able to get some kinda relief from all the nagging and whining and complaining from that woman of mine I would just get my fishing pole and my revolver jump in the old jeep and stay away fer months at a time.🤣😂
My current tactic is just to ignore her when I don't want to listen to it.. lol

The VA (at least where I go) does a very good job with hearing aids for those who are eligible. Many vets though don't ask the VA because of things they have been told/heard through the years. 6+ years ago I asked and they told me that yes, I was eligible for hearing aids through the VA. They did a VERY comprehensive hearing/word recognition/everything test and got me hearing aids. If something breaks on them, I call and take them in for repair. This last time, 2 months ago, when one broke, the girl who repaired it looked up my records and told me these were over 6 years old and I should be getting a hearing test every 3-4 years. She scheduled me, again the most in depth hearing test I have every had and then ordered the new hearing aids. Was fitted a few weeks ago, NO replaceable batteries, you charge them every night, and they will give good service for up to 36 or so hours. She said to hold on to my old ones in case something happens that way I'd have a backup.

But again, even with top notch hearing aids, make sure you explain to either your better half, or to your nagging half ;) to look at you when talking to you or to talk very loud (or yell) if not in the same room to make sure you heard her (or him).

Colonialgirl

Hawkeye
The VA (at least where I go) does a very good job with hearing aids for those who are eligible. Many vets though don't ask the VA because of things they have been told/heard through the years. 6+ years ago I asked and they told me that yes, I was eligible for hearing aids through the VA. They did a VERY comprehensive hearing/word recognition/everything test and got me hearing aids. If something breaks on them, I call and take them in for repair. This last time, 2 months ago, when one broke, the girl who repaired it looked up my records and told me these were over 6 years old and I should be getting a hearing test every 3-4 years. She scheduled me, again the most in depth hearing test I have every had and then ordered the new hearing aids. Was fitted a few weeks ago, NO replaceable batteries, you charge them every night, and they will give good service for up to 36 or so hours. She said to hold on to my old ones in case something happens that way I'd have a backup.

But again, even with top notch hearing aids, make sure you explain to either your better half, or to your nagging half ;) to look at you when talking to you or to talk very loud (or yell) if not in the same room to make sure you heard her (or him).

The VA Hearing people have done a good job for me; I've got one aid (lft ear, that shows "Charged" but delivers no sound. I've been using an older battery operated leftie until I get to the VA for repairs.