Gunbroker, here, consignment or what?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

SWR

Single-Sixer
If you have something truly valuable then sell it on GB. Consignment won't get eyes but you could get lucky. Forums are generally low ball buyers.
As i have said in my post -- shipping is the problem ----

What solution or answer would you be aware of for this ??

bwct

Bearcat

For me, Locust Fork and GB were the answer to shipping issues. I prefer to sell through a local forum and FTF, but that is limited exposure to buyers as compared to GB.

Bad Barlow

Blackhawk
I've used them a few times. Prices are good. Problem is, it only works if the ffl you're shipping to is on their list.
I've used "Ship my Gun" recently a few times with complete satisfaction. If the buyers FFL is not yet on their list,SMG will take a little longer to verify, but still provide the service.

06dilly

Single-Sixer
Ship My Gun worked great for me. They have great shipping rates as they do so much volume being a service of Bud's Gun Shop.

To add a new FFL send them the FFL's paperwork along with your request so they don't have to go get it. It still took a few days but both times when I prodded them that I was in a hurry they replied quickly. I just note in my ad that I use SMG so the buyer knows and can get their FFL added themselves if they like.

TomD

JBP

Single-Sixer

Find a local FFL that would ship it for you. I use the indoor range/gun shop that I shoot at. They overcharge but right now I haven't been able to find another one. I add some $$$ to what I would pay UPS to ship but still end up paying the difference.

SWR

Single-Sixer
Again. I am in the middle of no where !! The closest FFL to me that would have the ability, time , or presence to be agreeable to ship guns for me is over an hour away on the Interstate. This whole situation because of GCA, ATF, FFL is a real problem and a PITA.
Pirate ship is probably the only way to go

I have not sold & shipped a firearm in some time, but my understanding is that long guns are fairly simple & easy, because USPS will ship them for just about anyone. There is a long, flat Priority Mail flat rate box (designed for mailing board games) that can be useful for long guns like AR15s that take down into small enough pieces, but you may have to put in a request to get one (most post offices do not stock them). I think the last time I used one to ship an AR upper it cost about $25.

Shipping handguns is where most folks have issues, because USPS will usually ship them for FFLs, but will definitely NOT ship them for 'Joe Citizen'. So you're stuck using FedEx or UPS, and I believe they both insist on handguns going 2nd-Day, which costs an arm & a leg. Plus, your average neighborhood FedEx or UPS franchise store will not accept firearms (or even gun parts, in my experience), so you have to find a corporate store. The last time I sold a handgun & shipped it myself, I think FedEx charged me $75 for the service.

Because FFLs can ship a handgun by Priority Mail, it's often cheaper to pay an FFL to handle it for you. The last time I did that, it cost me $45, which beats the heck out of $75, and helps support your local FFL. (Of course, my FFL shipped it to the wrong state, but that's another story! ;^)

As always IMHO, IIRC, FWIW, YMMV, etc.

If you check their web site it looks like (1) shipping a long gun using them can cost more than doing it yourself (using Priority Mail), and (2) shipping a handgun through them requires taking it to a UPS corporate location, which is great if that's closer than your FFL, but not so great if it's 30 miles farther away. But sounds like it can save some people some money, some times!
:)

GasGuzzler

Hunter
May not at all be the same as ammo but UPS says you have to take ammo to a hub to ship but that's not true. If you pay your own shipping and attach your own label using your free account, you can drop off ammo at any location. May be WAY different for a long gun. I am just pointing out that sometimes, selling the postage is the issue, not shipping out.

06dilly

Single-Sixer
Does the new ffl have to approve being added before you can ship, or will they ship to any ffl regardless?

My experience is that SMG will ship to any current FFL and that they do not contact them directly unless they need to to get their FFL copy. I sent the paperwork to them on the one I used and it went right through. They do check the FFL database to be sure they are current.

I agree with these guy though to support your local shop first (as long as it's not unreasonable). My FFL just does not ship.

TomD

As an ffl, I used to do these services, in the hope that they would come back and use me for something else more profitable, but that hasn't happened. People go right to GB, without even asking if I can do better. Like a lot of ffl's around here, they aren't shipping or doing transfers. Not worth it.

I just turned 62. The wife will retire next spring. We are looking at spending several years in Ecuador or Mexico. I will leave some guns here in the US since... at this point... I'm not planning to renounce my citizenship. But... like I suspect a lot of us... I have a lot of guns I never shoot or even think about. Sometimes I buy a gun, bring it home, take it all apart to see how it works, clean it, lube it, put it together again... take it out to my range and fire one or two mags or one or two cylinders... then put it in the safe and mostly forget about it. Not because it was bad... but my curiosity was mainly satisfied about that design. Some never get shot at all.
Would like to offer our services if you're interested… trustedgunexchange.com. We're new.
Ken at the Trusted Gun Exchange!

You are pretty far away from Oklahoma! Was just taking some photos of an HK P7M8 to put on gunbroker. Already sold one P7 there. And a 1971 S&W M27. And an M1 carbine at the Tulsa gun show. And a Ruger Bisley Vaquero here on this forum.

It would be nice to just turn over 20-30 guns all at once! And hopefully get a good bidding war in an auction!

Ah, I thought you were an auction house. You are trying to be a gunbroker alternative. I'll check it out.
Hi, yes we are a web platform that handles transactions between private parties. We are different than GB in that we are an FFL that provides prepaid labels to the seller to send to the verified FFL chosen by the buyer. We do not have a store front nor do we have inventory.

I can answer more questions here or you can email us or call… [email protected] or text it call at 617-299-9692.

Thank you.

Ken.

For me it's about convenience.
I try very hard to be realistic in knowing what my gun is worth. I ask myself "what would I pay for it today?" I check completed auctions on GunBroker and look here and on a couple other forums.

Luckily, there's a mom and pop local shop I trust. They charge me 15% consignment and have never once failed to get "my price" for a gun. I do consult with them about values too and add that to whatever I may know ( or believe ) at the time.

Best of luck to you in your travels.
Have I missed something?. I thought the final price is not disclosed one the sale is made.