I HATE SPELL CHECK!!!!!

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Chief 101

Hunter
I sold a boat motor on Marketplace yesterday and the first replyer wanted to buy a motel. I bypassed him and went to about the 6th replyer that actually wrote somethin in English that was not incorrect computer stuff...

BULL'S-EYE

Buckeye
AutoCorrect is most definitely a PITA...But, is also quite easily disabled. 😉

2851599.gif

Armybrat

Buckeye
You guys know you can turn off autocorrect and spell check, right?
No, I don't know how to do that.
Please tell me because I really get mad when it spells something other than what I actually typed…. and missed because I have the bad habit of not proofreading before hitting "submit" or "post reply".

It varies depending on the device. I'd suggest an internet search of "how to turn off spell check on a (insert device name)"

On my iphone it's

Settings
General
Keyboard

Then slide the green bar by "spell check"
and/or "auto correct" to the left to disable that feature.

gnappi

Blackhawk
It's the programmers not auto correct.

I worked in IBM's labs in the "Natural Computing Center" and back in the 90's we had handwriting and speech recognition down 100% flawless.

The speech reco was so good it had a spell checker with a "forward looking context lexicon" which was infallible and transportable to any keyboard dictionary.

The PHD that developed it sat across the hall from me and when it was near complete her asked me if I could come up with a sentence to try to confuse it, I went there and spoke in the mic...

"I'm going to the Capitol to spend some capital"

It nailed the spelling perfectly and after that not one engineer in the unit could trick it into making an error.

Unfortunately everyone wants FREE technology and AFAIK none paid to use the licensed product.

RC44Mag

Buckeye
Was just texting my nephew out in California. He's at the Harold Bray USS Indianapolis dedication in Benicia. Mr Bray was the last Indy survivor to die.
I just texted gibberish to him that a 2nd grader would say WTF is this! I'm not a good typer, small iPhone fat fingers and the auto correct always gets me.

Last edited:
I've made it a habit to proofread every text and email before sending it. Sometimes the autocorrect feature will make some weird choices that totally change the intent of the communication. Proofreading slows the process down a bit, but its worth it.

Gopher

Single-Sixer
I use a program called Grammarly which corrects spelling as you go and depending on which version you use, your grammar.
I only speak Texan and my spelling isn't the best. 🤠