Is Open Carry contributing to crime?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
The City of Memphis is in the throes of very high crime epedemic. Some local leaders have tried to get Shely County exempted from that law, saying the carrying of guns contributes to the crime rate.

Hmmm? The State Legislature has pointed out that the law applies to handguns only, and to adults over 21 years old. Camera photos taken before a recent shooting showed juveniles carry rifles slung over thier shoulders as they walked around the area. Most of these were fitted with high capacity magazines and were the dreaded "black rifles."

Seems to me those who choose to ignore the law won't be affected by any new laws anyway. 'Way I see it.

Bob Wright

GypsmJim

Single-Sixer
If you open carry you are subject to inspection by the police. If you are a criminal you will be caught. If you are a good guy, you will not be arrested and have nothing to worry about.

I would personally be more afraid of criminals that carry concealed.

Regardless, if the law was proposed by a politician, it can't be a good law.

IMHO, every law passed in the last 40 years should be repealed.

Busterswoodshop

Buckeye
If you open carry you are subject to inspection by the police.
Are saying , that if you open carry a gun , any cop can stop you and check you out ? Just because you are open carrying a gun ?
I don't know where you live , but that is not how it works around here.

As far as the original question.
I doubt there are very many criminals out there that are walking around open carrying a gun.
I am talking about pistols , not rifles.

Now I am sure someone will come along and tell us how open carry people are targets and will be the first ones to be shot.

Last edited:
Open carry here, but no one does except on their own property or in the local town. Sioux Falls is around 250k or so and no one ever open carries that I have seen. Except, of course, for hunters, of which there seem to be a few.........

I have yet to see anyone open carry here in S.C. as for a cop stopping you and questioning you... I understand the concern and theory of why this is not good but the reality is I have no problem with it. I think legally they have been allowed to do this and ask for I.D. since the Patriot Act was passed.

Johnnu2

Hunter
I believe that criminals are exempt from most, if not all gun laws..... At least that's the way it appears in the 5 boroughs of NYC... the rest of the state isn't much better :) .
p.s. I remember being told by a Ct. police chief that they demand concealed carry so as not to spook the gentry... I personally don't see any reason for open carry........but, then again, I'm sure someone will come up with a good reason (like 'summer dress'). Either way, the problem in our cities is DEFINITELY NOT 'open carry'. :eek:
IMHO,
J.

contender

Ruger Guru
"I have yet to see anyone open carry here in S.C."

You must not be looking too close. I was in Greenville yesterday,, and saw (2) people open carrying. Until I get definitive clarification of the law,, as a non-resident,, I won't carry open there. I saw one of those OC guys yesterday,, in Cabelas,, and asked the clerk I was talking to about non-residents OCing,, and he wasn't sure.

I see it often here in NC.

DGW1949

Hunter
I have yet to see anyone open carry here in S.C. as for a cop stopping you and questioning you... I understand the concern and theory of why this is not good but the reality is I have no problem with it. I think legally they have been allowed to do this and ask for I.D. since the Patriot Act was passed.
Hey Blume....let's call that what it really is....the anti-patriot act.

Just sayin'.

DGW

41Dude

Single-Sixer
I do not have a problem with it. But it might just be my bad attitude.

eb6f96_a2e2cf9787d848d08b7acde1aa48b091~mv2.jpg

pyth0n

Buckeye
The City of Memphis is in the throes of very high crime epedemic. Some local leaders have tried to get Shely County exempted from that law, saying the carrying of guns contributes to the crime rate.

Hmmm? The State Legislature has pointed out that the law applies to handguns only, and to adults over 21 years old. Camera photos taken before a recent shooting showed juveniles carry rifles slung over thier shoulders as they walked around the area. Most of these were fitted with high capacity magazines and were the dreaded "black rifles."

Seems to me those who choose to ignore the law won't be affected by any new laws anyway. 'Way I see it.

Bob Wright
1- The problem is that no law ever stopped a crime, that's because criminals have no respect for the law or fear of the consequences.
2- It can be said that laws prevent crimes because laws, like locks, keep honest people honest. Until they're not honest any more.
3- See #1.

Open carry is legal here in Maryland but I don't ever remember seeing anyone 'open carrying. With the stupid laws you would probably be found to be illegally carrying near a fire plug or some such BS.

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
"I have yet to see anyone open carry here in S.C."

You must not be looking too close. I was in Greenville yesterday,, and saw (2) people open carrying. Until I get definitive clarification of the law,, as a non-resident,, I won't carry open there. I saw one of those OC guys yesterday,, in Cabelas,, and asked the clerk I was talking to about non-residents OCing,, and he wasn't sure.

I see it often here in NC.
The question has been raised both in Mississippi and Tennessee concerning non-residents. In both cases the response has been the law "applies to everybody." The law regarding prohibited areas, schools, hospitals,and posted business still prevails. There is some question concerning US Post Offices right now.

Bob Wright

wproct

Single-Sixer
To my knowledge open carry is still not allowed in Iowa. I may be wrong and if so someone can update me. Anyway I personally would not open carry, but that is just me.

Open carry is legal here in Maryland but I don't ever remember seeing anyone 'open carrying. With the stupid laws you would probably be found to be illegally carrying near a fire plug or some such BS.
Long Gun Open Carry is legal according to Doug Gansler. That was his reason to the 4th Circuit that we didn't need Shall Issue Concealed Carry back in 2012 or so.