Looking for barrel information for an AC556

Help Support Ruger Forum:

TheSenator

Bearcat
Welcome to the Forum!

I do not think that's a direct swap. I seem to recall a total difference in the barrel threading.
Thanks for the Welcome!

I don't understand why there would be a difference in barrel threading when one gun was a semi and the other had a different trigger group as a fullauto, but Ruger is known for doing some very dumb things.

I may just have to buy an early model Mini-14 barrel and compare the threads.

contender

Ruger Guru
Dern,, I may have made a big mistake.

I was thinking of Ruger's AR-15 line, NOT the full auto AC556.

It's been a while since I fooled with any of the AC556 stuff, even in questions & all,, and the current craze of the AR stuff,, my wires crossed.

Unless they made a big change in the way a Mini-14 is made,, I doubt they would have changed the barrel threading for any of the Mini-14 line. So,, it should work just fine.

Boy,,, this is my second mistake in the last 2 days about stuff. I'm gonna have to reset my batteries & reboot the brain!

My apologies.

TheSenator

Bearcat
No problem, no apologies necessary.

I think I'm just going to find an old and maybe even a new barrel and see for myself.

The current barrel in the AC556 is still serviceable but it's showing some wear in the bore. I'd like to at least have a
spare or two that I could change out if needed.

Thanks for the replies, (y)

contender

Ruger Guru
Apologies are necessary in my opinion. Around this place,, we try HARD to help folks with good information. I read things wrong,, and it could have made a difference to you and others who may have looked into it.

I've had the pleasure of shooting a few AC556's long ago. If you have one,, KUDOS!!!!!! Great guns to enjoy! But I agree,, having a spare barrel or two is a good idea!