New SP101 in .327 arrived today - Quality Control ???

Help Support Ruger Forum:

davidkachel

Bearcat
Did Ruger hire some of Taurus' quality control people? My shiny new SP101 arrived a couple hours ago with front sight noticeably off to the left, the rear sight quite severely off to the right. Hammer hugs the left side of the frame, single action requires both hands to cock. Has me wondering what will fall off when I fire it the first time!! Maybe my memory is off, but I seem to recall that Ruger used to do better! I wanted to round out the caliber with a single action, but now I wonder if I shouldn't reconsider.

bigbillyboy

Buckeye
I picked one of them up a month or so ago . There is another thread here where someone else posted pics of defects on another . Mine is perfect .......... How does that figure ?

bigbillyboy

Buckeye
I got a few pics here ...
IMG_20240325_221130.jpg
IMG_20240325_221031.jpg

bigbillyboy

Buckeye
I can only think of one new ruger with an issue in all that I ever bought . A 10/22 with a rear sight that almost fell out of the dovetail . Ruger sent a new rear sight , fixed it right up . And I have had a few mags replaced on American center fire rifles ......👍

bocash3

Bearcat
I sold a matching pair of SP 101's with 4.2" barrels purchased in 2016 because rear sight blades were so loose neither would hold zero. Ruger double action rear revolver sights are not what they used to be on the OM Blackhawks

Did Ruger hire some of Taurus' quality control people? My shiny new SP101 arrived a couple hours ago with front sight noticeably off to the left, the rear sight quite severely off to the right. Hammer hugs the left side of the frame, single action requires both hands to cock. Has me wondering what will fall off when I fire it the first time!! ...

Funny, the used Taurus I bought a month or so back is just fine - shoots to point of aim in both 9mm & .40, and nothing fell off!
:cool:

larry8

Single-Sixer
I know that some manufacturers have a few defective guns "accidently" sent out, but I purchased a new Super Redhawk and it was perfect out of the box. It had the smoothest light hammer and trigger movement that I ever had with a new gun. You can shoot it double action with one hand (although I wouldn't)

3manfan

Single-Sixer
I learned to inspect well, any gun I've bought before the I or the FFL even starts any paper work.
I didn't long ago when I was a greenhorn until the time I got home to find it was a lemon P229 from Sig.
What a pain it was to get it resolved.
No way I would've accepted delivery on that SP101 from my FFL.
I would of called the seller while there, explained why & let him know it's headed back to him.

The Preacher

Single-Sixer
A few months back I saw a 3" stainless SP101 in 357Mag. that had chatter marks the length of the rear sight groove. I assumed it wasn't supposed to be like that and couldn't believe Ruger would let something like that out the door. Guess that's just a sign of the times.

BB57

Bearcat
I recently purchase a new Ruger SP-101 in 9mm at the local gun shop. They had two in the store and I inspected both of them.

The first one, with a later serial number, felt like someone put grit in the inner workings. It functioned but felt horrible.

The second one had a lower serial number that per Ruger shipped in 2022. It felt fine and mechanically it appeared to be fine based on a non firing inspection. However, the general fit and finish wasn't at the same standard as the SP-101 in .357 Mag that I bought in 2015. However, I bought it anyway as it's intended to be a shooter not a safe queen, so the lower standard of finish wasn't necessarily a deal breaker.

But it's a lower level of quality.

When I arrived home I discovered there were no included moon clips. I called the shop to see if they were mislaid. They called back and said they were not able to find them and they also looked in the box for the other SP-101 in 9mm and it was also missing the moon clips.

That's a QA fail.

I called Ruger and they did send me a set of three and got them to me in a couple days, so that wasn't bad. However, one of them had globs of melted metal on the bottom side from when it had been (badly) laser cut.

That's another QA fail. Worse, it was Ruger's chance to shine and make up for the inconvenience with extra moon clips, a hat, a tee shirt, or even a free sticker. But they sent nothing other than the little Manila envelope with two acceptable and one defective moon clip.

When I got it to the range, I discovered it would often hang up on one chamber when a slow DA trigger pull was used, and it would occasionally hang up a second adjacent chamber. It would cock successfully via the hammer on all cylinders for a single action shot, and once a round that had previously hung up had been fired with would successfully cycle all the way around with slow DA trigger pulls.

It did this with both the Ruger moon clips and the TK Custom clips that Ruger sells on their site. Again, it only exhibited the problem with unfired factory ammunition.

It did this with Federal, CCI and Remington factory ammunition, so I doubt it is ammunition related. And unless something has changed Ruger uses CCI ammunition for its testing.

That's a QA fail.

I called Ruger to get an RMA and sent it in. That was a bit over two weeks ago. I called them this morning and was advised they have taken no action on it yet. When I asked about turn around time, they advised it was 4-6 weeks. That's a big change from their former 2 week turn around time.

——

The last time I sent in a revolver to Ruger it was a 4.2" SP-101 in .22 LR shipped in 2014. It had severe leading issues from an improperly cut forcing cone. I shipped it back at a time when they were not providing shipping labels but were instead reimbursing for shipping. Fed Ex second day air cost me $75. I never got reimbursed as I enclosed the original receipt as directed, but they lost it and would not accept a copy.

They sent it back in about 2 weeks with a note they had adjusted the ejector star, which was not the problem. But to do my due diligence I took it back to the range to test fire and again, after about 12 rounds it was leading so badly it was key holing.

I sent it back again (this time they did send me a shipping label) and they advised they would "escalate" it to a supervisor as their supervisors were trained gunsmiths (which told me their first level staff are not). After about a month they called to tell me it was not factory repairable. They gave me the option of a refund, I provided them with the original receipt. Since I was already out $75 due to Ruger losing a receipt I wasn't really hot on this option. The other option was they could ship a new replacement to a local FFL. I opted for that and gave them the FFL information.

After a month I called them to inquire about the SP-101 they were supposed to ship. They then, for the first time, advised they would ship one when they did the next production run of 4.2" .22LR SP-101s. They then advised they expected that would happen in 5-6 more months. In short, they did not hold any back at the factory or warehouse for the inevitable exchanges, not were able to just have one of their distributors send me one, or have the local gun shop, a Ruger Dealer, hand me the other one he had in stock and be reimbursed by Ruger. No…I was supposed to wait 5-6 more months.

The replacement eventually arrived in October after buying the first revolver in January. It shot ok, but was at best mediocre and I immediately traded it in on a S&W 17.

That's a massive customer service fail.

——

I never thought I'd say it, but over this same 10 year period I also also purchased new, a Taurus 905, a Taurus 942, and a Taurus 856 Executive. The 905 had to go back to the factory as the cylinder would not close with the supplied moon clips. I was given a refund and then bought it 3 months later when it arrived back in the shop. The 905 and 856 Executive have been excellent shooting revolvers right out of the box. The Executive has a better trigger than any of the many S&W and Kimber revolvers I own with the exception of a S&W Performance shop 625.

Consequently, I don't think Ruger quality assurance or customer service is any better than Taurus. Their revolvers just cost about 40% more, and the fit and finish isn't as good as the upper tier Taurus revolvers.

FWIW (and I'm not making excuses for anyone), I think there have been QC issues with a lot of American companies over the last few years. Demand went through the roof with all of the BLM/Antifa looting, rioting and burning - and then the China virus hit, and a lot of experienced workers got sick or just stayed home. And for whatever reason, it looks like a lot of people still have not decided to go back to work. So some companies are running full steam ahead, and trying to do it with inexperienced employees &/or short staff.

Again FWIW, I own a couple of Taurus products (hammer-fired autos), and more Rugers, and like everything I've purchased from both companies - maybe I'm lucky. I've had excellent customer service from Ruger on the few occasions I've needed it (luck again?), but I hear second-hand that both companies' customer service can fail to deliver. Demand too high and not enough experienced employees? Who knows.

As always IMHO, YMMV, FWIW, Murphy's Law is always out there, etc., etc.
:)