Ruber Sheriff vs Charter Bulldog

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Rclark

Hunter
I suspect you can get the dimensions from the manufacturer :) . Gunblast did a review of the .44Spec Sheriff. I have both. I can tell you from memory the Bulldog is way lighter at 21oz. The Bulldog quite a bit smaller and less bulky than the Sheriff. Of course you have 5 vs 6 shots (or 4 vs 5 if you keep an empty under the hammer). The Bulldog, in my opinion, is for occasional shooting, while the Sheriff will last several lifetimes of shooting. As much as I like the Single Action, I think I'll stick with the DA Bulldog for CC carry... at least for now. I think a birds head grip may help reduce the 'size' of the Sheriff. Now for woods carry, between the two, I'd pick the Sheriff over the Bulldog.... Why? Because I can load the Sheriff with hotter loads which aren't necessary for city protection. Or course, I actually pack a .45 Colt BH for woods carry, but that's beside the point!

Ruber

Single-Sixer
Texas Jack Black said:
What is a RUBER??? :D

...ME...
1346.jpeg

http://www.californiaherps.com/snakes/pages/c.ruber.html

Didn't you know I've got my own sherriff's model... :lol:

Ruber

Single-Sixer
Thanks! Sorry to hijack the thread, just saw my name and Charter Bulldog mentioned and couldn't help myself. My favorite critter, but ya, at a distance and not around the home.

For the OP, I really like my Charters, but Rclark's response was spot on. A side note would be that I really like what I'm seeing quality wise from Ruger lately while the last few Charters I've handled haven't been what I was expecting. But a .45 BH is what accompanies me in the woods anyways...

writwing

Single-Sixer
Rclark said:
I suspect you can get the dimensions from the manufacturer :) . Gunblast did a review of the .44Spec Sheriff. I have both. I can tell you from memory the Bulldog is way lighter at 21oz. The Bulldog quite a bit smaller and less bulky than the Sheriff. Of course you have 5 vs 6 shots (or 4 vs 5 if you keep an empty under the hammer). The Bulldog, in my opinion, is for occasional shooting, while the Sheriff will last several lifetimes of shooting. As much as I like the Single Action, I think I'll stick with the DA Bulldog for CC carry... at least for now. I think a birds head grip may help reduce the 'size' of the Sheriff. Now for woods carry, between the two, I'd pick the Sheriff over the Bulldog.... Why? Because I can load the Sheriff with hotter loads which aren't necessary for city protection. Or course, I actually pack a .45 Colt BH for woods carry, but that's beside the point!

CA doesnt list the dimensions of their guns.

Ruber

Single-Sixer
I'm on my way to work too, but in the meantime, here's another forum's thread on Bulldog dimensions that might be of some use...

http://thefiringline.com/forums/archive/index.php?t-453714.html

Rclark

Hunter
Ok home at lunch. Here is the scoop.

Ruger Sheriff 44 Special

Length : 9"
Height : 5 1/2"
Cy Width : 1.678
Cy Length : 1.619
Weight : 39oz

CA Bulldog 44 Special

Length : 7 3/8"
Height : 5"
Cy Width : 1.45"
Cy Length : 1.58"
Weight : 21oz

SAJohn

Hunter
CharterArmsBulldof.jpg

The grips make up almost half of the revolver. They are necessary unless one is a masochist. This early blued steel model with a three inch barrel, the rubber grips, and 5 cartridges weighs 25 oz.

Rclark

Hunter
The last few Charters I've seen were nice but I still think they don't hold up like a Ruber, uh I mean Ruger.
I shoot mine about once a month. Maybe 50 rounds a month, just to re-familiarize myself with it. I think it will last many years at this rate! Does what I want it to do. I've got other guns for main line shooters.

Here is mine :

CABulldog44spec_2.jpg

Ruber

Single-Sixer
Nice looking Bulldog. Must have been a bad batch I saw on a recent sale, they had tool marks that would have been easily visible in that pic. If they looked like that one, I'd have another one in my safe right now . 8)

Sheepdawg--that's a beauty! Got my fill of cottonmouths working in Louisiana, think I'll stick with my reds out here!