Ruger single action in 188x?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Wasting rainy day time watching low budget westerns a couple days back and noticed that one cowboy/gunfighter was using what appeared to be a Ruger Blackhawk that had been stripped of it's front blade and rear adjustable sights. Supposedly an expedient to using a 'real' period single action? Also apparently had the 'high cap 14 round' upgrade as the user fired off at least that many rounds w/o a reload. :unsure:

jgt

Buckeye
Did you ever count the number of rounds Kevin Costner fired in the gunfight that took place in the movie Open Range? He was using a single action Colt or clone and he shot one guy into swiss cheese without reloading or pulling another gun even though he was carrying two revolvers. When ask about it, he said he liked it so much when editing he left it in the final cut.

Last edited:

rammerjammer

Blackhawk
I gotta score myself one of those hi cap movie guns.

Just watched Michael Mann's Manhunter (Hannibal Lecter's 1st appearance) and the good guys Charter Arms Bulldog miraculously turns into a 6 shot revolver!

Papalote

Single-Sixer
High cap six shooters have been her since the 40's. Only in the last few years did they get realistic about reloading. I'm not sure but I don't think Clint E. had one. Of course I have been wrong a couple of times in the last 72 years.

needsmostuff

Blackhawk
It's kind of a self-serving fantasy.
Movie magic creates a Hi-Cap ,never needs reloading handgun.
Then Hollywood libertards take a stand against Hi-Cap handguns being the bringer of death and media joins in.
Then the easily swayed politicians see the chance to look like a savior and start crafting laws ,,,,,,,, and getting back in front of the cameras.

BearBiologist

Hunter
Did you ever count the number of rounds Kevin Cosner fired in the gunfight that took place in the movie Open Range? He was using a single action Colt or clone and he shot one guy into swiss cheese without reloading or pulling another gun even though he was carrying two revolvers. When ask about it, he said he liked it so much when editing he left it in the final cut.

Having met Costner once, I can truthfully say his ego magically transformed itself into a "magic bullet" or two!

Hondo44

Hawkeye
I read about the filming of Open Range. That big shoot out at the end of the movie used 40,000 rounds.

Clint Eastwood didn't shoot more than 6 rds , but his .44 mag Model 29 magically changed from a 6 1/2" barrel to an 8 3/8".

Johnnu2

Hunter
I read about the filming of Open Range. That big shoot out at the end of the movie used 40,000 rounds.

Clint Eastwood didn't shoot more than 6 rds , but his .44 mag Model 29 magically changed from a 6 1/2" barrel to an 8 3/8".
I often wondered about that bbl length, but just thought old age was getting the best of me :))))))))))))))))

J.

gunzo

Hunter
Thinking I counted 14 as the number of rounds Costner shot before a reload in the opening of the gun battle.

But the real lulu of it all was him sitting on the ground, taking cover behind a,,,, wagon wheel, then shaking the heck out of the gun to rattle the empties out. I'm yelling, use the case ejector you idiot.