Ruger SR 762 kinda disappointing

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Oledude95

Bearcat
The "new" SR 7.62 ran like a champ for about 75 rounds and started the same mess as the first one. Not feeding, jamming, and just all round being a pain in the ass. I tried going to DPMS metal magazines and thought that I had the problem solved but not so. It got worse and more frequent and rather than go through all this hassle again I sold the rifle, at a loss. I told the new owner exactly what the deal was and he did not mind (he said). He was pretty sure he knew what the problem was (again, he said) and he could fix it. I had it in writing that he was purchasing the gun as is and that was it. About three weeks later he called and told me that he was sending it back to Ruger.
Meanwhile, I bought a Sig Sauer SSG 3000 and am tickled to death with it. I know this is a Ruger forum but if it were not for a bad Ruger I would not have ended up with one of the most dead on accurate out of the box rifles I have ever owned. I still shoot my other Rugers and will continue to buy Rugers if something new that I like comes out. I think the SR 7.62 has some kind of design or engineering bug that has not been found yet and until it's located and corrected Ruger will have problems.

I desperately wanted to add a SR762 to the family, but since their arrival in the gun world, I have seen so much negative press about their reliability on several sites and reviews. For every owner that praises their 762 (and gets my fever going again) there seem to be 3-4 guys who have constant trouble with theirs. I can't justify selling my 100% dependable and accurate Armalite for a hit-or-miss-when-it-comes-to-reliability rifle. As for my SR556 and AR556 rifles- I can't say enough good things. But there will be no 762 coming here in the near future. I'm sorry your story ended like so many other 762 owners' stories have.

Oledude95

Bearcat
kentuckyyeti said:
I desperately wanted to add a SR762 to the family, but since their arrival in the gun world, I have seen so much negative press about their reliability on several sites and reviews. For every owner that praises their 762 (and gets my fever going again) there seem to be 3-4 guys who have constant trouble with theirs. I can't justify selling my 100% dependable and accurate Armalite for a hit-or-miss-when-it-comes-to-reliability rifle. As for my SR556 and AR556 rifles- I can't say enough good things. But there will be no 762 coming here in the near future. I'm sorry your story ended like so many other 762 owners' stories have.

I wish mine had worked like it was supposed to, all of the time. It is a well made, neat looking, and good shooting gun. But, it has some kind of internal virus that no medicine can detect, much less cure. I really wanted this rifle to perform as it was advertised but somehow Ruger has missed a major bug in the engineering or design of this rifle and the best that can be done now is just bite the bullet and end production and go back to the drawing board until the problem is located. I spent a lot of money on metal mags, different ammo, and I don't know what all and nothing works. The rifle just is not dependable and for that much money I cannot have it in my collection. Luckily, I made a deal that got my money back. And the person who ended up with the rifle knows the complete history, I did not just palm off a lemon on to someone else. But, I do love that Sig bolt gun.
Deadeye
I don't know why the forum is showing me as "newly registered". I've been on this forum over one year and just have not posted all that much.

Oledude95

Bearcat
kentuckyyeti said:

I wish mine had worked like it was supposed to, all of the time. It is a well made, neat looking, and good shooting gun. But, it has some kind of internal virus that no medicine can detect, much less cure. I really wanted this rifle to perform as it was advertised but somehow Ruger has missed a major bug in the engineering or design of this rifle and the best that can be done now is just bite the bullet and end production and go back to the drawing board until the problem is located. I spent a lot of money on metal mags, different ammo, and I don't know what all and nothing works. The rifle just is not dependable and for that much money I cannot have it in my collection. Luckily, I made a deal that got my money back. And the person who ended up with the rifle knows the complete history, I did not just palm off a lemon on to someone else. But, I do love that Sig bolt gun.
Deadeye
I don't know why the forum is showing me as "newly registered". I've been on this forum over one year and just have not posted all that much. Oledude and deadeye are the same person, I'm registered as Oledude95

OldePhart

Blackhawk
Oledude95 said:
I don't know why the forum is showing me as "newly registered". I've been on this forum over one year and just have not posted all that much. Oledude and deadeye are the same person, I'm registered as Oledude95
All of the "categories" are based strictly on post counts.

Had carrier tilt problems on an early SR556e model. (Black bolt) Had the bolt upgraded to the chrome one (supposedly fixed the issue) Ruger sent it back "fixed" I just didn't trust it. Sold it with full disclosure. Bought a PSA Freedom model and can't wear it out.

Interested in the SR762 model. I'm considering the purchase of one. Just a little concerned with performence, esp considering my ARs see relatively heavy use compared to most civilian shooters.

gsx1

Bearcat
Hi. New here to the group. Just got my Sr 762 that i have been wanting for some time . After reading some of the bad things problems with it feeding. Ect. I decide to take a chance and get one. It is sleek and like the feel of the gun.
Now i havent taken it to range yet but put it through some drills And it seems to feed a round noproblem but haing a issue with the bolt assy. Not closing all the way to the lock position. After inspection seems like the ejection part of the bolt is preventing the bolt from grasping the cartrige stoping the bolt from a full throw forward. Any one here having this problem ?

cardboard

Bearcat
Know this is a old post.

Hate to hear the Oledude95 had problems with his Ruger SR762

I bought a SR762 about the time of this post.
Shot several kinds of ammo and different kinds and lead weights threw it.
Musta show 4 boxes or more.
never had a problem what so ever out of it.
Took it home and cleaned it with spray weapon cleaner for a Polymr pistol.
And lubed it with FP-10 lubricant.

My Buddy bought one.

We went back to the range where I bought it.
Both of us got new scopes and zeroed them in.
Shot more ammo and never had the least problem out of it.

Still have my SR762 rifle.
Like this weapon very much.